First Impressions: New 2021 Ebikes from Diamondback!

I pulled out the battery on my current. It’s the Bosch 500. The pdf seems to have other inaccuracies as well. It does baffle me why it’s not on the DB website yet.

I pulled out the battery on my current. It’s the Bosch 500. The pdf seems to have other inaccuracies as well. It does baffle me why it’s not on the DB website yet.
I checked with Houshmand and verified the same, 500 for the Current. After doing so many reviews for EBR I think I'm desensitized to manufacturer specs being not quite right 🤣

I can understand DB not listing the bikes for sale on their website yet... but some informational pages certainly would go a long ways! I imagine their customer support is getting lit up with requests about them, so that may motivate some changes to their website.

The fact that they are not listed on the Diamondback website but selling at several dealers all over the country really raises questions as to what is going on with the brand.
It's probably Covid related. The supply chain is still pretty f@%&ed up. Manufacturers and shops have tons of bikes on order without a definitive sense of when they'll arrive. There's such massive demand for bikes right now I guess some manufacturers just want to ship them to shops ASAP.

We've got these in the shop! I'm rolling on the Response with some fun parts installed from my Vado. The Union's look great, love the spec of the Kiox on the Union 2 and Response! I can help answer any questions folks have too!

Here's a quick overview!

Attachments

• IMG_20210316_122534429_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210316_122534429_HDR.jpg
    709.4 KB · Views: 382
  • IMG_20210316_122516588_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210316_122516588_HDR.jpg
    614.8 KB · Views: 384
  • IMG_20210316_122512831_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210316_122512831_HDR.jpg
    690.2 KB · Views: 393
  • IMG_20210316_122508664_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210316_122508664_HDR.jpg
    643.1 KB · Views: 386
  • IMG_20210316_122502857_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210316_122502857_HDR.jpg
    544.6 KB · Views: 398
I installed a motor on a Yuba Mundo yesterday. This normally quiet motor on most bikes is Loud. The Mundo has a chainstay extension on this cargo bike that is a 6cm wide x 203cm long oval tube. It amplifies the sound like a bullfrog's resonator. But oddly other eBikes are attracted.
1615944880122.png
1615944950193.png

1615945101305.png
1615945293959.png

Holy seatpost Batman! Slick setup for towing!
I repaired the noise problem. And created another! This is the equivalent of putting DDT in Walden Pond to "fix" the mosquito problem, because GreatStuff shot out of the back of the bike and into the brakes.

Attachments

• GreatStuff01.JPG
    GreatStuff01.JPG
    289.4 KB · Views: 337
  • GreatStuff02.JPG
    GreatStuff02.JPG
    233 KB · Views: 325
  • Yuba2105.JPG
    Yuba2105.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 334
  • GreatStuff03.JPG
    GreatStuff03.JPG
    274.1 KB · Views: 330
Umm, that doesn't seem like a good idea for a lot of reasons. If you did that to a carbon frame, it could expand and damage the frame structure. I know how that messy stuff works. You really have little control over where it goes and how much it expands. And if there were internal cables and/or wiring, that would be an issue for service and repairs.

Last edited:
I've now owned by DiamondBack Current for a month. My first impression: Loved it. Amazed at how easy it is to pedal with or without the motor. But now 1 month into it I'm not so sure I picked the right bike for how I've ended up using it. According to the Bosch app - which is awesome - I've ridden 125 miles which I would estimate has been 50% paved trails and 50% riding with my 7 year old son - who bikes daily - but routes always tend to include sidewalks for safety at a max pace of 15 mph. The sidewalks are rough. I've played with the tire pressure going from 50 psi down to 40 then to 35. I rarely use the motor so taking the battery out helps quite a bit to smooth bumps. On the trails, I've hit 30+ mph which has been fun but I'm not certain it is safe to do that perhaps more appropriate riding on the street with cars? I've put in an order for an e-caliber 9.6 and am waiting for it to come in stock thinking it might be a better fit when riding with my 7 year old? The reviews describe it as an electric mounting bike that feels like a regular which led to me weighing the Current and was surprised at 49 lbs which is lighter than I expected and not wildly different than the e-caliber at ~41. I've toyed with making changes to the Current with items like a suspension seat, different fork, tires... I've also started reading bike maintenance books given the chain is jumping between 2 gears when in the 5-6-7 gears after loosening the cable a couple clicks it been mostly better.

it's clear I could use some advice
:)
Any suggestions?

I've now owned by DiamondBack Current for a month. My first impression: Loved it. Amazed at how easy it is to pedal with or without the motor. But now 1 month into it I'm not so sure I picked the right bike for how I've ended up using it. According to the Bosch app - which is awesome - I've ridden 125 miles which I would estimate has been 50% paved trails and 50% riding with my 7 year old son - who bikes daily - but routes always tend to include sidewalks for safety at a max pace of 15 mph. The sidewalks are rough. I've played with the tire pressure going from 50 psi down to 40 then to 35. I rarely use the motor so taking the battery out helps quite a bit to smooth bumps. On the trails, I've hit 30+ mph which has been fun but I'm not certain it is safe to do that perhaps more appropriate riding on the street with cars? I've put in an order for an e-caliber 9.6 and am waiting for it to come in stock thinking it might be a better fit when riding with my 7 year old? The reviews describe it as an electric mounting bike that feels like a regular which led to me weighing the Current and was surprised at 49 lbs which is lighter than I expected and not wildly different than the e-caliber at ~41. I've toyed with making changes to the Current with items like a suspension seat, different fork, tires... I've also started reading bike maintenance books given the chain is jumping between 2 gears when in the 5-6-7 gears after loosening the cable a couple clicks it been mostly better.

Any suggestions?
The Current, cool!! If you were to come into our shop I wouldn't have led you to that bike right off the bat. Based on the riding you described doing I'd say you'd be happier on a variety of class 1 bikes. The drop bar Current with it's class 3 motor is more at home on the open road or riding on streets where you have to take the lane or have a bike lane. Riding with your son, I'd say that something like the Gazelle Medeo might be a good choice to start with. Slower speeds are better paired with a flat bar style bike.

Regarding the shifting, sounds like the cable has stretched a bit which is normal, the shop you bought it from should be able to make the small adjustments to fix that pretty easy.

Hope that helps!

Any suggestions?
You might want to check the derailleur hanger. Could it have gotten bumped slightly? This would happen to me all the time on the train with stacks of bikes.

Excellent idea. I did check as in fact I believe this started after my daughter accidentally knocked the bike over. as far as I can tell its pretty straight, but not perfectly vertical. All the shops around here have weeks-long waits for tune-up thinking about using a mobile repair outfit.

An alignment gauge isnt a hard tool to use if you're willing to spend the money for one. Totally worth having around, especially if you mountainbike or frequently knock your bike around.

Excellent idea. I did check as in fact I believe this started after my daughter accidentally knocked the bike over. as far as I can tell its pretty straight, but not perfectly vertical. All the shops around here have weeks-long waits for tune-up thinking about using a mobile repair outfit.
Watch a couple of videos. On the road you can do it in an emergency. It needs to be vertically and horizontally true.
Warning: Derailleur hangers are intended to snap! Two or three adjustments and it will be toast. Buy a few to have on hand.
The reason they snap is so the derailleur does not go into the spokes, destroying the wheel, the rider, and the derailleur. It is a fail safe like a fuse. In the cycling community guys are always snapping collar bones. The joke is that these are like derailleur hangers.

I ordered the Diamondback Current yesterday from their website. I've been looking for a bike like this since I first saw the Luna Fixed a year or so ago. I looked at the Luna Fixed, ride1up Roadster v2, Kona Dew-e DL, Motobecane eMulekick, and the iGO Aspire. I already have about 7 different ebikes between the two of us, and I was looking for a more road-like ride to match what I use on my cycle trainer. I had decided on the Kona, but their website failed/broke at the shipping step, plus it sounded like they would not send it to me, and I would have to drive a 3-3.5hr round trip to a bike dealer to pick it up anyway so that was out, and bumped up the Current into the top spot! 🤞

Well I ordered the bike on the 7th, and it's here on my doorstep on the 9th! <48hr turnaround to the middle of nowhere! They called me to confirm the order yesterday because I have a non-standard email address that popped up for manual review of the order, otherwise it might have literally come in 1 day... that's nuts! Now for final assembly and checkout...

It is funny that they put rack eyelets on the frame that the rack doesn't use (and thus has a low weight limit of 22 lbs). I know, you can put on your own for touring or whatever, but realistically most people are just going to chance it with the rack that's already there.
With out even looking could a person add a "strut"? Racks on bikes that are feeble are like buying the new pickups with ridiculously short beds and load capacities( not always true some of the short bedders are very strong- but, you get the picture( Like "cupholders" on a "BMW"?( I want a strong rack!)

Reactions: ngl
I just discovered what the front rack is made for on the Yuba! The bike is made in Petaluma and so is the Beer. A perfect fit. Good for long thirsty rides.
The brand went from Dick's Sporting Goods to REI now it looks like they are investing in bring it up.
Front rack good.

Reactions: ngl
Back