ZEHUS ALL-IN-ONE MOTOR DB-E

kneebenderbiker

Region
USA
Detroit Bikes - Electric, aka DB-E, is a new e-bike with the Zehus All-In-One, ie; motor, battery, charger and sensors with bluetooth to connect with a phone app or remote controller.
Looks like a great concept and a cool bike made in Detroit. They don't include a great deal of info about the components but they did respond to my emailed questions quickly.

email response: The Zehus remote controller is not included, but can be purchased separately. We're currently in the process of updating our webstore to reflect our current stock, as we just received our first shipment of controllers to our warehouse today. Pedals, kickstands, handlebar bells, wheel reflectors, and front/rear reflectors are included on all Detroit Bikes models. DB-E steel frames are made at our factory here in Detroit, and come with VEER belts and Zoom brand hydraulic disc brakes and a wall charger. Orders are typically processed within 1-3 business days and are shipped via FedEx Ground, which delivers to the continental US within 1-5 business days.

https://detroitbikes.com/products/detroit-bikes-electric-usa-made?variant=43789471252730 I want Super Green :)

I haven't found reviews or much info about this new Detroit Bikes model, but I've been checking out their website on and off for a few years, due to Made in Detroit, ie; USA. The company has an interesting story and I first found them while I was searching for bikes made in the USA. The VEER belts look like a really cool concept too.
Please let me know if you have experience with the DB-E or Zehus.

Last edited:
E-TYPE_2_Green.jpg.jpeg

Well, I don't know. Not sure I'd want an "all in one" motor/battery unit. One is likely to crap out before the other, but with this unit the whole thing has to be dealt with. Might raise the repair cost eventually.

The ebike seems rather pricey, too, compared to a few other light weight single-speed ebikes out there. Regen braking is nice, though, if one is going to do a lot of braking.

Well, I don't know. Not sure I'd want an "all in one" motor/battery unit. One is likely to crap out before the other, but with this unit the whole thing has to be dealt with. Might raise the repair cost eventually.

The ebike seems rather pricey, too, compared to a few other light weight single-speed ebikes out there. Regen braking is nice, though, if one is going to do a lot of braking.
You make a good point about needing possible repairs to the all in one. Furthermore, there are likely limited options to get repairs by qualified technicians, at least in the USA. Might have to send it to Italy where it's made, I don't know, but certainly worth considering.

The regen works by braking but also when pedaling backwards. Court reviewed Zehus all in 2015; https://electricbikereview.com/zehus/bike-plus-all-in-one/ Also, there is some info about Zehus online but I haven't found any personal experience reviews.

As far as being expensive, Detroit Bikes prices are on the higher end, especially for the bikes made in the USA. They do import some aluminum frames and build some of their models on these, which are less expensive, but still maybe higher than bikes built entirely in China or Taiwan. US labor costs are higher. I also believe you get what you pay for. Higher quality costs more.

The company is going through some major changes right now, with new capital investment or having been sold. I hope they can continue to build bikes in the USA.

Get that in "Step Thru"?
That would be a good option. There seems to be some major changes going on with the ownership and/or financial backing with Detroit Bikes right now so hopefully they get things worked out and offer more choices. Their B-Type models are step thru and made on USA made steel frames but they aren't e-bikes....yet!

Back