Range estimate Trek 8s when first powered on

Sefutau2020

Region
USA
City
Northern VA
I have owned two Trek Allant 8s's.....2021 and now 2023. When I purchased the 2021 model, the instant I powered it on, it showed 96 miles in estimated range for the ECO setting. Fast forward to 2023, and my current Trek showed 47 miles in estimated range for the ECO setting. Over the last 500 miles, after a full charge, it has creeped up to a maximum of 68 miles estimated in ECO mode. So, to bring this into context....same rider, same bike paths, same weather conditions, same tires, same tire pressure....the only difference is one 2021 grey color and the other 2023 gun metal color. Has anyone else experienced this? Yesterday I completed a 35 mile ride in all ECO and arrived home with 50% battery left, but the estimated range showed 12 miles in ECO? Something just seems off with this bike. Just wondering if anyone else has seen this. Thanks.

Sort of a guess on my part but my experience is similar to yours. Say you ride the last 5 miles with a strong tail wind. When you turn your bike on next time it “remembers“ you weren’t using much power with the tail wind and shows a longer range. Say you ride the last 5 miles with a head wind. The next time you turn your bike on it will show a shorter range.

Sort of a guess on my part but my experience is similar to yours. Say you ride the last 5 miles with a strong tail wind. When you turn your bike on next time it “remembers“ you weren’t using much power with the tail wind and shows a longer range. Say you ride the last 5 miles with a head wind. The next time you turn your bike on it will show a shorter range.
Thanks...the problem is, this NEVER happened with the 2021. It always showed 96 miles in estimated range in ECO. On one ride with the 2021 in all ECO, I arrived home after 66 miles, with 32% battery left. Even in Tour mode with the 2021, I could easily get 60 miles in that setting. On the 2023, just getting around 40 miles. Something just seems off. Probably going to take it in to the LBS and have the battery swapped out.

Thanks...the problem is, this NEVER happened with the 2021. It always showed 96 miles in estimated range in ECO. On one ride with the 2021 in all ECO, I arrived home after 66 miles, with 32% battery left. Even in Tour mode with the 2021, I could easily get 60 miles in that setting. On the 2023, just getting around 40 miles. Something just seems off. Probably going to take it in to the LBS and have the battery swapped out.

What range are you actually experiencing? I would expect that is more than likely just updated technology that provides estimates based on your actual riding as Dodgeman said. It is pretty clear that the prior model just set a standard value. Save yourself some time for now and just give it awhile longer (as well as your shop local shop...). Are you needing to go for a 96 mile ride in the near future? If not, ride the bike, enjoy it and I'm guessing it will continue to adjust the displayed estimate according to your own riding tendencies.

What range are you actually experiencing? I would expect that is more than likely just updated technology that provides estimates based on your actual riding as Dodgeman said. It is pretty clear that the prior model just set a standard value. Save yourself some time for now and just give it awhile longer (as well as your shop local shop...). Are you needing to go for a 96 mile ride in the near future? If not, ride the bike, enjoy it and I'm guessing it will continue to adjust the displayed estimate according to your own riding tendencies.
On Saturday's and Sundays, I routinely ride 50 to 60 miles per day. All of my previous eBikes, and to include my current Specialized Vado 4 and Giant Fastroad, all deliver the expected ranges, based on battery capacity. This bike is the first NOT to deliver as expected, considering that it has a 625 watt battery vs the Giant's 500 and Specialized 710. I have ridden 40 miles on the Vado 4 all in ECO, and returned home with 58% battery left. This was averaging 15 mph on a pretty chilly day. My longest ride on the Giant has been 55 miles, in all ECO (50% setting) and I arrived at my destination with 32% battery left. With 500 miles on the 2023 Trek, it is on its way to the LBS per the advice of the Trek Technical Rep....who also agrees that my experience is odd.

Update on Battery Range Issues:

After clocking in 3500 miles on my '23 Trek 8s, I found myself needing to address some concerning issues with the battery system. Comparing it to my previous '22 Trek 8s, which consistently delivered approximately 90 miles in ECO mode before Bosch's 10% shutoff engaged, the newer model fell short, offering only around 75 miles. This difference is notable despite identical equipment, tires, and routes between the two bikes.

The battery's performance has been inconsistent, with percentages sometimes plummeting by 4 or 5 clips within a mile of riding in Eco mode. Recently, it's been displaying a full charge at 100%, only to drop to 98% upon powering it up the next day. Initially hoping it was a glitch, this recurring observation has become concerning, especially when combined with the range issues.

A trip to the local bike shop (LBS) became necessary, and they've had the bicycle for the past two weeks, conducting tests in collaboration with Bosch and submitting data for analysis. Since day one, I sensed something was amiss with this bike, and now, validation arrives following the initial suggestion from the LBS that the range issues might be subjective. Clearly, that's not the case.

According to Bosch, the errors detected are highly unusual, and they've assured me of a resolution that meets my expectations. Trek has also been commendable in addressing this latest issue, making me confident in endorsing their bikes to anyone considering a purchase.

I'll be sure to provide an update as soon as I receive the bike back from the LBS.

Update on Battery Range Issues:

After clocking in 3500 miles on my '23 Trek 8s, I found myself needing to address some concerning issues with the battery system. Comparing it to my previous '22 Trek 8s, which consistently delivered approximately 90 miles in ECO mode before Bosch's 10% shutoff engaged, the newer model fell short, offering only around 75 miles. This difference is notable despite identical equipment, tires, and routes between the two bikes.

The battery's performance has been inconsistent, with percentages sometimes plummeting by 4 or 5 clips within a mile of riding in Eco mode. Recently, it's been displaying a full charge at 100%, only to drop to 98% upon powering it up the next day. Initially hoping it was a glitch, this recurring observation has become concerning, especially when combined with the range issues.

A trip to the local bike shop (LBS) became necessary, and they've had the bicycle for the past two weeks, conducting tests in collaboration with Bosch and submitting data for analysis. Since day one, I sensed something was amiss with this bike, and now, validation arrives following the initial suggestion from the LBS that the range issues might be subjective. Clearly, that's not the case.

According to Bosch, the errors detected are highly unusual, and they've assured me of a resolution that meets my expectations. Trek has also been commendable in addressing this latest issue, making me confident in endorsing their bikes to anyone considering a purchase.

I'll be sure to provide an update as soon as I receive the bike back from the LBS.
Very interesting. I have just over 450 miles on my new 8s and have been surprised by the seemingly less capacity as my 7s with its upgraded and now 2-yr old 625w battery. I have been hoping I am only in “break-in” mode and my 8s will soon get smarter about its battery management.

Looking forward to your report..

I have owned two Trek Allant 8s's.....2021 and now 2023. When I purchased the 2021 model, the instant I powered it on, it showed 96 miles in estimated range for the ECO setting. Fast forward to 2023, and my current Trek showed 47 miles in estimated range for the ECO setting. Over the last 500 miles, after a full charge, it has creeped up to a maximum of 68 miles estimated in ECO mode. So, to bring this into context....same rider, same bike paths, same weather conditions, same tires, same tire pressure....the only difference is one 2021 grey color and the other 2023 gun metal color. Has anyone else experienced this? Yesterday I completed a 35 mile ride in all ECO and arrived home with 50% battery left, but the estimated range showed 12 miles in ECO? Something just seems off with this bike. Just wondering if anyone else has seen this. Thanks.
My Allant+ 8S, bought new in July 2023 - 661 miles on the odometer, shows 121 miles on Eco with a full battery. I always ride it in Turbo and typically get about 40 miles range on that setting with 3-5 miles left when I charge it. It states 44 today with a freshly charged battery.

My Allant+ 8S, bought new in July 2023 - 661 miles on the odometer, shows 121 miles on Eco with a full battery. I always ride it in Turbo and typically get about 40 miles range on that setting with 3-5 miles left when I charge it. It states 44 today with a freshly charged battery.
Interesting. Just got my bike back from the LBS that had it for about 3 weeks. Trek and Bosch were great! They replaced the board and gave me a new battery to make sure things were right. Currently, after about 2 rides, the range seems to be better, but it has been fairly cold here, so I would not want to give a firm answer of problem solved until a warmer day shows up. I will say the bike seems zipper than before, even better than when I first purchased it. Kudos to Trek and Bosch, and the LBS.

Back