How to change rear tire if you have a flat on the road?

416dude

I was told you cannot flip the bike upside down for hydraulic brake..., Then how are you able to change the rear tire if you don't flip the bike upside down ?

you can flip it but if there is any air in the lines it can cause issues. don't touch the levers while doing it. myself I don't flip the bike I shift to the smallest cog use the kickstand to prop the bike up enough to remove the wheel. our tandem was too heavy to flip so I learned. also make sure nothing on the bars will get damaged like displays and such.

I am testing that. though sometimes I come out to find a tire really low. but I think it is sealant in the valve making it leak al little as it seems to happen after I add air.
I think it depends on the tire, the rim/wheel, and the fit/seal.
My Maxxis Rekon tires were solid as a rock for keeping pressure. The Conti Rubans I am running now have an extremely slow release of air. Completely manageablr but not as "tight" as the Rekons.

I've turned my bike over with no problems other than the controller in the way. Using wood blocks is ok at home but not easy to carry.
I bought and used the handlebar jacks and they work great. I admit it is not the best solution but miles from home it will get the job done.
They are very small, compact and lightweight. I have them in my bag at all times. Link is below.
As suggested make sure your brakes are bled properly before trekking out.

I've been flipping hydraulic brake bikes upside down for almost 20 years without a problem. With ebikes, you need a couple of blocks of 2x4 under the grips so controls don't get bent or broken.

One thing I love about my new GoCycle is that I can change both front and back tires without even taking the wheels off the bike. I did this recently to switch the stock treadless tires out for a pair of Schwalbe Super Moto-X.

Attachments

• IMG_1772.jpeg
    IMG_1772.jpeg
    328 KB · Views: 129
I use FlatOut Sportsman’s Formula in my tires, 16oz each, so one 32oz bottle per bike with 26x4 tires. I’m over 1100 miles on mostly gravel with lots of blackberry thorns, not a single flat. It’s $17/bottle on Amazon and comes with a tire stem removal tool. Takes just a couple minutes to add to each tire and lasts for ten years. No noticeable feel in the tire. Probably the best anti-flat protection available.

Are there any videos that would show how to change a flat on the A7 Pro? Wondering if you need special tools for the rear tire.

Thanks

Back