How to get access to your Bionx Console code menu (codelist included)

DDuB420

bionx-command-console-throttle-type-4.jpg

G1 Console - console code access
  1. With the battery installed on your bike, turn the BionX on.
  2. Hold down "Mode" and "Chrono" until you see 4 zeroes.
  3. Enter the 4 digit code by using plus/minus to change each number and "Mode" to move to the next number.
  4. Press "Mode" one more time to confirm the code
G2 Console - console code access
  1. With the battery installed on your bike, turn the BionX on.
  2. Hold down "Power" and "Mode" until you see 4 zeroes.
  3. Enter code the 4 digit code by using plus/minus to change each number and "Power" to move to the next number.
  4. Press "Power" one more time to confirm the code
G1 CONSOLE CODES

1. Document contents and firmware requirements

This paper covers the console firmware revision #12 and higher. All the previous firmware revisions do not include all the functions mentioned in this document and/or the menu structure can be different.

If you own a system with older firmware, we recommend you to call EPS to get assistance as needed. However, it is also possible to upgrade the firmware on all BionX systems. (It is important to remember that the system performance is the same regardless of the firmware versions.)

2. How to enter a particular code

All following sections of this document use 4 digit codes. Whatever the user wants to access the configuration menu (3771), diagnostic screen (3772) or remaining variables (3779) the same method must be used:

1. Turn the system ON.
  2. Hold down both ‘CHRONO’ and ‘MODE’ buttons at the same time until the screen change to four zero (It takes about 2 seconds)
  3. Using ‘A’ to increase the digit value and ‘G’ to decrease value, enter the first digit.
  4. Push ‘MODE’ once to advance to the next digit.
  5. Repeat step #3 and #4 for all remaining digits. * If an invalid code is entered, the display will simply return to the normal display layout.
3. EPS1 – Configuration menu (3771)

The EPS1 menu gives access to the following parameters:
  • Program the rear wheel circumference. (Millimetres)
  • Select between imperial (mph) or metric (km/h) units.
  • Configure the speed limit value and enabled/disabled status.
  • Program the brake (regenerative) strength value.
  • And finally view the console firmware version. (Nothing to configure here)
Here are the steps to navigate through EPS1 menu:

1. Enter the EPS1 code (3771) by following section #2 instructions.

2. If the 3771 code is correctly entered, you will see four digits that represent the actual wheel circumference in millimetres. If the user wants to keep the old circumference value, the same digits must overwrite the old ones. If a new wheel circumference has to be programmed, enter the new value. Use the following table to convert wheel diameters in inches to circumference in mm.

CONVERTION TABLE FOR THE EPS BionX WHEEL CIRCUMFERENCE PROGRAMMING (code # 3771)

Wheel diameter

Corresponding circumference (mm)

18'' = 1436 ; 20'' = 1596 22'' = 1756 24'' = 1915
26'' = 2075 27'' = 2156 700mm = 2199 28’’ = 2234

mm = 79.8 * Diameter

3. The next configuration screen is the unit configuration. Either ‘A’ or ‘G’ can be pushed to switch from imperial to metric:
  • will select metric unit (kilometres)
  • will configure the bike to imperial system (miles)
Push ‘MODE’ button when done to advance to the next configuration screen.

4. The third screen is used to configure the speed limit.
  • Two parameters can be configured regarding the speed limit process:
  • Activation or not of the function and the limit level in km/h.
    • Pushing the chrono button will switch between the two parameters.
    • Use ‘A’ and ‘G’ to configure the speed threshold value or the
  • function state (0=no speed limit, 1=speed limit enabled)

5. The fourth menu is used to configure the braking generation level when the rear brake is applied. Use ‘A’ and ‘G’ to set the desired value. The configurable range is from 5 to 64. 64 will generate maximum breaking power while choosing a lower value will produce less regeneration breaking.

6. The final EPS1 screen shows the console firmware version. Nothing can be configured here. The image below shows firmware rev#12.

7. EPS2 – Diagnostic mode (3772)

Follow second section instructions to enter the EPS2 code. Screen will switch to a special ‘diagnostic’ mode where it is possible to monitor some important signals:
  • Strain gage sensor value: (Cyclist effort sensor) when the cyclist push on the pedals, this signal will raise proportionally to the force applied.
  • Battery voltage: Indicate the NIMH battery voltage in volt.
  • Monitor the motor command: While the bike is operated, the assistance or generation level will appear on the two upper-left digits. Again, the values range if 0-64.
There is two ways to exit the special diagnostic display mode:
  • Simply turn the system off. Next power ON will display normal layout.
  • Re-enter the 3772 code will toggle display to normal layout.
8. EPS9 – Remaining time & Distance (3779)

BionX development team is always improving the product reliability and
performance. One of the latest add-in on the system firmware is the possibility to be informed about the remaining time and distance at any time, based on the last 10-20 seconds of bike utilisation history. This function being relatively new and presently under beta testing phase, is not available by default on a brand new system. However, BionX gives the possibility to access this feature for the users who wants to experience it.

Once again firmware revision #12 and more are a requirement to access the new variables. By entering a special unlock code, the users will have access to two more display variables:
  • Remaining time: As the user cycle to all different variables by pushing ‘chrono’ button, the prefix ‘Tr’ will appear. Tr stand for ‘Time Remaining’ (or Temps Restant in French). The unit is in hour with tenth of hour precision. The following example shows a remaining time of 4 hour 30 minutes.
  • Remaining distance: The variable name prefix is ‘dr’ (distance remaining, or distance restante in french) and the value are in kilometres (or in miles if console configured to imperial units). The following examples show a remaining distance of 168 kilometres.
The procedure to unlock the feature is simply to enter the EPS9 code (3779) as mentioned into the second section of this document. The function becomes instantly accessible. Recycling the power is recommended after enabling the function. If the user wants to disable the function, it can be toggled ON and OFF by entering the same code again.

Since both variables require microcontroller processing time and multiples
operations, under certain conditions, one or both variable cannot be predicted. Per example, if the bike is stopped and the speed is null, remaining distance cannot be processed. Another case could be if the user use the regenerating brake for more than a few seconds, the remaining time would be infinite. In those particular cases, the value of either variable is replaced by three dash character (---). The picture below display an incalculable remaining distance:

9. Important notice about speed limit

Almost all BionX kits that have been released today are running firmware #12 and later. Regardless of the country, the laws are very strict regarding any electric bicycle speed limitation. Even if this guide give the user the possibility to configure or even remove the speed limit algorithm, EPS will not be responsible for any accidents or wounds that could results of an improper or non legal speed limit configuration.

All the bicycle kits sold from EPS are already configured to offer the maximum legal permissible speed for each corresponding countries. The limits are the following:

- America: 32 km/h or 20 mph
- Europe: 25 km/hr or 15.5 mph

All future firmware releases from EPS will avoid the user to play with the speed limit parameters.

G2 CONSOLE CODES

2001: KM or Miles
2002: Generative Breaking
2003: Time last with the battery
2004: Clock
2005: Wheel size
2006: Programming brake sensor
2007: Polarity throttle (0-5volt or 5-0volt)

3771: wheel size
3772: diagnostic mode
3773: max speed
3775: throttle max speed
3776: Speed that motor will start
5000: Full reset
1976: motor direction
1234: sensor speed signal; 1= slow 5= fast
1970: Configuration activation backlight ad DCDC automatic
0007: Sensor signal gain, 0.1 to 4.0
0008: Configuration of extra assistance 1.0 to 4.0
0041: activation of the I2C

Last edited:
Awesome writeup, thanks for sharing these details, hopefully they will come in handy for other BionX owners :)

Hi, i have tried this on my G2, and i can get into the 3775 menu, but i can´t change anything there, nothing happends when i press the + or - or anything, is this locked in the REV 62 software?
i can´t get my throttle to work.

well.. it works.. from 2-6 km/h need to move a little to work and stops at 6km/h.. need to adjust this with some sw tool i guess..

i'm confused: to remove the speed limit, you just need to go into that menu, under step 4? that's it and it works? freddy, your note about 2-6 km/h, what does that mean? i have the g1 console.

i saw an ad on ebay, a dude in alexandria, VA, will remove the speed governor for $100, and you pay for shipping (the console and motor) to and from. do people charge for this because it requires more than a menu setting? it takes a PC and some specula software?

i mucked around in my console, i have rev. 5.7. many of the options above simply didn't do anything, or had limited choices. like the config menu, only had tire circumference, nothing else. 3773 did nothing, but 2004 did change the clock, so that was better.

Hi, I am not able to change any settings in my G2 version, the company where the bike was bouht from upgraded mine to 6.2 but was unable to cgange any settings for speed limits :-(

Marc: The 1-6km/h limit is a start help, but not much in help with only 250 watt.
very stricht rules here in Norway :(

Hi Freddy
I have followed instructions I found under bigxionflasher.org and built a device and downloaded their DOS program. It works fine. I set the max speed to 27 km/h. I am frequently in Kristiansand. If we meet there, you can test my device and update the settings of you bike.
Ole

Hi,
I have a question on the code 0008 – Configuration of extra assistance.

My wife rides a Trek500 and finds that te support is rather poor.I discovered in this forum the existance of the code 0008.
I tried it out on the G2-console and saw that Ass. Gain = 1.0.
I changed in into 3.9 and there is more support now.

But there is a second parameter: Ass. speed which is set to 14km/h actually.
I have no idea what this parameter means.
Can someone explain me how this parameter works (I suppose in combination with the first one)
Regards,
René

I spoke to a dealer today who said that newer BionX kits cannot be unlocked. Can anyone confirm if the D500 can or cannot be 20mph speed unlocked? He was very firm on this point :(

As a BionX dealer, we cannot unlock the D 500 kits. If you utilize one of the aftermarket dongles, then you pretty much void your 2 year warranty. There is a sad story with an early prototype that could go almost 30mph- The son of the creator & owner of BionX was killed in a wreck while riding that system so that motor was pulled from development.

Last edited:
Hi guys, i just got lucky and found a used Smart bike for a decent price. It uses a Bionx system with the G2 console. says rev62 i'm guessing this is the firmware version from what i've seen here. By holding power and function/mode i can only gain access to change the clock time. Am i doing something wrong? Or am i locked out in rev62? Is there another way to access the code menu? This bike has no throttle control, it is pedelac only and i believe there is a torque sensor in the rear wheels motor. Although this might just be hall sensor detection.?. I also belief the wheel size has been set incorrectly as i can easily do 25km/h uphill and it does not seem like 25km/h. With this top speed it will be very monotonous when trying to cover larger distances on the flats.
I have read that it is possible to build a flashing tool but would like to know if it will work on the smart with rev62 before investing.
Anyone?

This is a fairly recent firmware revision; however, you cannot access the speed settings manually anymore. A BionX dealer can program the kit to the proper wheel size and set the kit to the 20mph version. Original owners of this bike would have gotten and extra year of warranty with access to full top speed when they had their ebike checked and programmed within the first couple of months. BionX has the system programmed to automatically limit the top speed to the international speed limit if not registered with them for warranty after the open time period.

This is a fairly recent firmware revision; however, you cannot access the speed settings manually anymore. A BionX dealer can program the kit to the proper wheel size and set the kit to the 20mph version. Original owners of this bike would have gotten and extra year of warranty with access to full top speed when they had their ebike checked and programmed within the first couple of months. BionX has the system programmed to automatically limit the top speed to the international speed limit if not registered with them for warranty after the open time period.

Thats understandable that they would make the speed limit difficult to change but with rev62 on the Smart the only thing i can change is the clock time. I can't access any of the codes. I can't even activate mountain mode. Since i live in the mountains and often have to tackle big hills i feel assist level 4 is more like level 1. If i was older or weaker i would not bother trying to tackle such hills since the Smart is so heavy. When the battery becomes low assist drops even more. I understand there is also a compromise between power available and battery life. Currently i can only just make it to town and back (≈40km). So if i wanted more power (if i could gain access to it) i would either have to add a second battery in parallel (not sure how this would effect the regen function) or i would have to charge up again in town in order to make it home without having to push up the last hill (≈3-4km). Personally i would like to be able to change the sensitivity of the torque sensor with a variable resistor. I would like to be able to over volt the system and to be able to add more Ah in parallel so that i can make longer trips without feeling tired or that i am about to run out of battery.
Unless i can re-flash this (Bionx) Smart Bike, i think i will sell the bike once i have an e-bike with more user friendly options. The Smart assumes either you will stick to the flats, make only short trips in hilly areas or go to a Smart dealer to pay every time you want to set you bike up differently for a different user or different terrain.
But it does work fairly well, i like the styling, the build quality and the regen function, it's just the lack of user control, and the weight which i feel let it down.

@JayVee, that regen should disengage as soon as you release the brake lever. Try adjusting the position of the regen sensor, push it just a little further away from the magnet that's on the brake lever. Otherwise, talk to the dealer where you bought the kit and have them put the system on the computer diag program to see if the regen feature is malfunctioning. To the best of my knowledge, the old codes do not work on the D500 kits.

Very interesting. Thank you for this list!
I have a Dahon muP8/BionX bike with G2 console, Rev 64. Only some of the above codes work in my console, and some give completely different results. Some are read only so it appears that my console is locked and only certain parameters are adjustable Do any of you know how to unlock these devices?

These are the codes I've been able to access:
3771: CIRCONF=1596 (set for 20 inch wheels)
3779: BOOST (Ranges from 7 to 16, mine was dealer or factory set at 10)
1234: GAUGE (Ranges from 0 to 9, mine was set at 4)
Some settings here have added descriptions, (none of which make sense to me):
1=SLOW
5=FAST
6=F+
7=F++
8=F+++
9=GRAC
0041: SLAVE CAN (I2C interface?)
NOTE: No parameters can be set here, and the SLAVE CAN mode can only be turned off by removing the console from its mount.
Do any of you know how to access this interface? I assume that once engaged, the console can be replaced by a smartphone and some additional parameters (such as battery voltage, Distance Remaining, etc.) can be displayed. Do I have this correct? I would very much like some instructions on how this is done.
Thanks

Did anyone ever figure out how to use codes without an unlocking service? Or is the only way to turn off speed limiter is to have it done via computer/interface/software?

Back