Opinions on a 2018 GSD S10.....

sc00ter

Region
USA
City
Norfolk, VA
My local REI has a used return GSD S10. It's the base model (No Abus cafe lock) but obviously nicely equipped. Someone purchased it, rode it very little and returned it. Black color with a few minor scruffs. Anyways, the markdown price is $3599. Not exactly a great value for a 4 year old ebike because the original list price was $3999. But with the recent $300 minimum added to all new models and the slim pickings on new inventory (everyone I contacted is outta stock) it seems a little better value now? I'm not sure how the battery has been stored all this time but I'm willing to bet the battery is fully charged. I intend on going back during the week and ask if the warranty comes with it, not that I think I'll need it. Anything else to ask about or check? And opinions on the asking price? Thanks for any opinions!

Does it come with the Bosch Cargo Line (85Nm torque) motor, like the current GSD's, or does it use the older Bosch Performance Line (65Nm torque) motor? The newer Cargo Line motor is much stronger and will enable you to climb steep hills with a full load or a passenger. I have one in my Yuba Spicy Curry AT. My girlfriend has a Tern HSD with the 65Nm Performance Line motor, and it is substantially weaker.

You are right to be concerned about how the battery was stored. If it was subjected to freezing winter temperatures and hot summers, that is not good. Ask REI to test and measure the battery. Voltage at full charge? How many charging cycles did it experience? Even if the numbers are good it is doubtful that a 4-year battery will perform as well as a new one.

Thank you for the reply. I contacted a dealer I've purchased from before and they said they ordered from Tern but are awaiting a delivery conformation. For some strange reason (I can be lazy on servicing) I'm obsessed with the S8i. On paper and in reviews it ticks all the boxes of what I'm looking for but from my old mountain biking days I can keep a drive line clean, but belt drive sounds futuristic! I might haul my wife on the back once in awhile around the 'hood. She's light at 125 pounds (I'm fat at 225) but don't mind huffing pedals and use a faster cadence. I don't see the S10 at REI finding a forever home anytime soon so I'll wait to hear back from the other dealer about a S8i first.

My girldriend's HSD has a belt drive with Enviolo automatic shifting. She likes it a lot. The only minus is the weak motor.

Thank you for the reply. I contacted a dealer I've purchased from before and they said they ordered from Tern but are awaiting a delivery conformation. For some strange reason (I can be lazy on servicing) I'm obsessed with the S8i. On paper and in reviews it ticks all the boxes of what I'm looking for but from my old mountain biking days I can keep a drive line clean, but belt drive sounds futuristic! I might haul my wife on the back once in awhile around the 'hood. She's light at 125 pounds (I'm fat at 225) but don't mind huffing pedals and use a faster cadence. I don't see the S10 at REI finding a forever home anytime soon so I'll wait to hear back from the other dealer about a S8i first.
Hey there!

Man from a dollar value wise that used GSD is a pretty good deal, even if you have to buy a new powerpack. Depending on where you live that lower torque motor could be sufficient. Those older drive units are plenty reliable, it's just the powerpack that's the concern at that age and lack of use.

The S8i is an HSD which is the little brother to the GSD, something worth noting. Are you talking about the belt equipped GSD? As stated above the cargo motor is WAY more powerful and designed for the duties of cargo bikes.

We just got some HSD's in and GSD's so not sure what they're talking about in terms of availability. Where are you located?

It's been raining every weekend so I haven't had a chance to test ride it, or ask if the Tern warranty still applies. My area is flat (Norfolk, VA) and if my wife will ride on it, she's light, I don't think having the older less powerful motor is going to be a deal breaker.

It's been raining every weekend so I haven't had a chance to test ride it, or ask if the Tern warranty still applies. My area is flat (Norfolk, VA) and if my wife will ride on it, she's light, I don't think having the older less powerful motor is going to be a deal breaker.
Warranty won't transfer, but that doesn't mean the shop can't go to bat for you. Depends on their relationship with the brands honestly. Recently we had a failed Bosch drive unit out of warranty. They okayed the repair but the customer would have to buy the drive unit, albeit at a discount. This customer was the original owner of the bike and there were no signs of abuse so I pushed back and got Bosch to cover a replacement drive unit free of charge. Cust. will still have to pay labor for replacement of drive unit but we'll split that cost with him as a gesture of good faith.

All that's to say be careful with used stuff and make sure you've got a good shop that has your back!!

I found myself looking at a CERO One. The weirdest part is someone gave me an old Worksman version with the 26" rear/20" front wheel cargo bicycle when I was a kid. Worksman should sponsor football training camps! Big, heavy monsters with STEEL wheels back then. Still fun to ride though. Could easily haul friends in the huge basket! I cleaned it up and gave it to a neighbors son for a newspaper delivery bike. Or a Dost Drop if I want a normal looking ebike.

Last edited:
So as you all know I went with the Cero One over the Tern listed above. One, I want something different and two, the Tern was marked sold. Yes, I consider the Tern different as well. Anyways, I popped into REI in Virginia Beach by Pembroke Mall over the Labor Day weekend and guess what? The Tern is back for sale! I didn't see if the price reduced any further but there it sat, still waiting for its Forever Home.

So if your considering a Tern like the one in this thread it's still there.

Back