Enviolo Automatiq Retrofit

scrambler

Region
USA
City
Bay Area, CA
So has any owner of and R&M bike using the Enviolo attempted to retrofit their Enviolo with the Automatiq system?

If memory serves, @Alaskan had this done on his wife's R&M...maybe that was a mech. Rohloff to E14...

*nvm it was E14*

Last edited:
@scrambler There is a post in the Facebook Riese&Mueller Owner’s Group describing the process. See the post authored by Frans van Kogelenberg on Jan 7. If you are not currently a member, you will have to answer a few generic questions and wait for admin approval.

Thanks @dblhelix, unfortunately, I don't have nor wants a Facebook account :)
But if I understand what you said, someone did retrofit an Enviolo AutomatiQ to a Riese & Muller. If so, this is good information.

Do you know if this is a manual integration (using the CliQ controller to operate the AutomatiQ), or and actual integration with the Bosch controller?

I know R&M is especially hard on any customization, and so I suspect they make integration of the AutomatiQ with Bosch impossible (you need a special firmware to support the AutomatiQ interface there), but normally they should not be able to prevent a manual retrofit using the Enviolo CliQ controller.
The retrofit process when using the Enviolo CliQ controller is already documented by Enviolo.

Thanks @dblhelix, unfortunately, I don't have nor wants a Facebook account :)
But if I understand what you said, someone did retrofit an Enviolo AutomatiQ to a Riese & Muller. If so, this is good information.

Do you know if this is a manual integration (using the CliQ controller to operate the AutomatiQ), or and actual integration with the Bosch controller?

I know R&M is especially hard on any customization, and so I suspect they make integration of the AutomatiQ with Bosch impossible (you need a special firmware to support the AutomatiQ interface there), but normally they should not be able to prevent a manual retrofit using the Enviolo CliQ controller.
The retrofit process when using the Enviolo CliQ controller is already documented by Enviolo.
He used a retrofit kit/CO controller on a manual 380/Charger3. He soldered the power cable from the hub to the main power cable (Enviolo recommended AUX port on Gen4 but user noted it is limited to 12V while the hub needs 18V-36V). He needed to drop the motor for access. He bypassed Bosch, so after starting up the bike, he presses the center button on the wireless CO controller to power it independently.

you can get a Y-cable to avoid the splicing. The kit he purchased is “Rebuild kit from Automatic 2.0A to AutomatiQ”

I found a second user who did the conversion on a Tinker But did not bypass Bosch. “To be able to change cadence on Nyon, you need a special CAN port cable and software update.”

Last edited:
Thanks, make sense.
When doing a Bosch integrated retrofit, the AutomatiQ Interface is powered via the Cable to the Motor
So I would assume we should still be able to use that to power the Interface.

My experience with Enviolo is they don’t like dealing with end users - I was referred back to the bike manufacturer and or LBS for an enviolo problem when using their App with their AutomatiQ hub - in my case with a Brose motor and controller

I was actually pleasantly surprised about this. I recently contacted Enviolo support about retrofitting a R&M and they answered withing a couple of days, confirming R&M would not cooperate with the Bosch integration, but retrofitting with an Enviolo controller would be no problem.
But If your Enviolo comes from and integrator like R&M, then I am sure they would direct you to them.
Integrators usually request the manufacturer to not deal with their customers directly. And they get margins, especially because they take care of the support.

For people landing on this thread looking for info on the retrofit, below are thread to people who did it successfully

He used a retrofit kit/CO controller on a manual 380/Charger3. He soldered the power cable from the hub to the main power cable (Enviolo recommended AUX port on Gen4 but user noted it is limited to 12V while the hub needs 18V-36V). He needed to drop the motor for access. He bypassed Bosch, so after starting up the bike, he presses the center button on the wireless CO controller to power it independently.

you can get a Y-cable to avoid the splicing. The kit he purchased is “Rebuild kit from Automatic 2.0A to AutomatiQ”

I found a second user who did the conversion on a Tinker But did not bypass Bosch. “To be able to change cadence on Nyon, you need a special CAN port cable and software update.”
Have you got anymore info regarding the second user who did the conversion on a Tinker, & was it a Gen 2 Bosch motor?

So I was set to buy a Homage4 and have tried out all the gear systems but was still slightly unsure which one. I had a test drive on the new Nevo3 Automatiq and I loved the system and not having to change gears and just cycling around enjoying the world was amazing and knew this was the gear system for me.

I asked my bike shop edemo if they could retrofit the Automatiq to the manual Enviolo option on the Homage4 Vario.

They contacted R&M who were happy to enable the e-shift integration on the smart system with the Enviolo Automatiq on my new Homage4.

They’ve done a manual->automatiq conversion with full Bosch integration and the cadence is configurable via the smart system.

There is a slight issue installing it due to the read wheel is configured and where the wire comes out of the Automatiq unit (I suspect this is the reason that this option is not offered on the Homage4) which means the unit is installed sideways. (See picture)

I imagine this would be unacceptable to some people but it doesn’t bother me and I’m happy that I have the automatic gears!

So it is possible and R&M seem to be OK with enabling the eShift.

Attachments

• enviolo-automatiq.jpg
    enviolo-automatiq.jpg
    477.9 KB · Views: 51
  • components-eshift.jpg
    components-eshift.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 50
  • enviolo.jpg
    enviolo.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 52
  • eshift.jpg
    eshift.jpg