New Serial 1 RUSH/CTY Speed

RMK!

I have been looking for another ebike which is difficult in the crazy market and was browsing many Threads here and considering several options but had never heard of the Harley Davidson Serial 1. Last night, I out found that a local LBS had just picked up the Serial 1 line and checking their website I found they had demo bikes and some stock for sale. I browsed the Serial 1 section and went to their store this morning for a look see and test ride of the Rush City S.. Fortunately, it comes in 4 sizes and I needed the XL to accommodate my 6'5"frame. The bike fit great, is incredibly easy to ride, comes with a 2 year warranty (serviced by the LBS) and, was Black Friday discounted by $1000 so I brought it home.

Only one 12 mile ride today but it performed flawlessly. Fit and finish is perfect, the Brose TF MAG motor and Enviolo CVT Belt drive make the bike powerful while being nearly silent. My current bike is the an R&M GX Delite Rohloff 14E and I love that bike. The Serial 1 will be a nice option for my almost daily rides (40-50 miles) and taking on trips to the coast. They're both pedelac's and although similar they are different enough to give me 2 different riding experiences. Bottom line, I love both of these bikes but the Serial 1 is a really special bike with great build quality and tech. I hope to get in many miles in the next few years riding these fantastic ebikes.

Serial 1 created this fine instructional video. Some photos of my new Serial 1:

Attachments

• 20211129_092149_resized.jpg
    20211129_092149_resized.jpg
    389 KB · Views: 557
  • 20211129_092233_resized.jpg
    20211129_092233_resized.jpg
    311.9 KB · Views: 549
  • 20211129_092247_resized.jpg
    20211129_092247_resized.jpg
    403.7 KB · Views: 562
  • Enviolo Hub (1).jpg
    Enviolo Hub (1).jpg
    312.1 KB · Views: 516
  • Enviolo Hub (2).jpg
    Enviolo Hub (2).jpg
    425.3 KB · Views: 567
Last edited:
Put another 60 miles on the bike in the last 2 days. Fitted a Suntour SR Sp12 suspension seatpost on the bike and that allowed me to raise the seat to the correct height. This is a great option for a more comfortable ride. I find the stock Enviolo settings work well, very natural feeling and seamless silent gear changes for most conditions. I bumped the Brose motor power settings up for ECO, Tour, Sport modes and feel that was a good move. I think most flat terrain riding will be in Tour mode with Sport used for rolling or hilly terrain. Boost may be necessary for the steepest slopes or when wanting that extra kick. I can get 50-60 mile range riding at a brisk cruising tempo (17-25 mph). That was my desired range so all good there. Ordered some Ergon GP1 grips in large. The stock ones are to small for my hands. Also ordered a bar end mirror. I don't know how anyone can ride safely without at least one rear view mirror.

I was able to get to 28 mph in sport mode on flat ground at close to my max cadence. Could not hold it there long but was able to get there. 20-25 mph are comfortable cruising speeds and I hit 35mph on a down hill and still had some pedal cadence left in what I assume is the highest gear. Really liking this bike and happy with the buy decision.

Last edited:
My happy riding of the Serial 1 continues thanks to the mild climate here in CA. It may be the "honeymoon" period but I find myself wanting to ride it over my very nice R&M bike. I also get a kick out of telling friends that I bought a Harley ... I've owned quite a few motorcycles in my life but never bought into Harley Davidson. Being from an area where the Hells Angles originated and thinking it funny when "bad boy" cops and business professionals started buying/riding Harley's in the 80's, I tended to like the quiet smooth rumble of the BMW boxer twins as opposed to the shake, rattle and roll of the LOUD HD bikes.

The Serial 1 is in a way, a very well engineered un Harley Davidson type of bike. The combination of Brose motor and Enviolo Automatiq CVT make it the smoothest shifting and quietest ebike I've ever ridden. I'm too old for motorcycles (electric or otherwise) and the health benefits of riding ebikes has me healthier and happier as I move into an active retirement lifestyle. Unlike some internet direct ebikes, it is possible to test ride the Serial 1 bikes at many Harley Davidson dealerships as well as select traditional bike shops around the US. If you've had an interest in ebiking, I strongly suggest you check out the Serial 1 offerings. With good looks, quiet operation and a 2 year warranty, the Serial 1 is reasonably priced and head and shoulders above other ebikes at this and higher price points IMHO.

Last edited:
I’m enjoying mine a bunch as well. I don’t have the year round weather so investing in some bar mits to stay out there. I’m hard pressed to find a cleaner, more joyful ebike out there.

I’m enjoying mine a bunch as well. I don’t have the year round weather so investing in some bar mits to stay out there. I’m hard pressed to find a cleaner, more joyful ebike out there.
I rode today and it was cold (for here ;-). I can't get over how quiet it is ... I had a Specialized Turbo Creo that I believe used a Brose motor that was noticeably louder than the Serial 1. Harley Davidson must have added sound dampening material to inside of the motor housing.

I went for a late night ride here. Another 25 joyous miles feeling safe and visible at night with bright headlight and break lights.

With 45c Conti tires it can prob.do 30mph on flat. Brse TF mag is a great motor. Congrats !! The price you got it is also amazing. This will be a hot seller in Us .
I hope it is successful. If anything I would like to install slightly larger tires. There are a couple of little issues that I mentioned to the Serial 1 Support folks.

The rubber charge port cover is difficult to fit properly and is in a poor location. Mine dropped off yesterday during a ride e.g. is lost. Another is being sent but this needs a re-design. The battery lock is in the same location and has similar issues. Other than those little annoyances, I'm very happy with the bike. It is my favorite bike to jump on an ride right up to the battery limitation. Seems that 40-50 miles about all I can expect from the provided battery.

I suggest picking up a role of blue painters tape and just applying a bit before each ride, as I have lost mine a couple of times now after being super careful. Yeah it looks silly, but having that cover is nice when I want to wash the bike off. Being belt drive and clean lines, its super easy to keep this baby clean since it gets lots of riding.

I love the look of the white, its just too hot for me! I don't want to draw any unwanted attention, even with insurance.

I suggest picking up a role of blue painters tape and just applying a bit before each ride, as I have lost mine a couple of times now after being super careful. Yeah it looks silly, but having that cover is nice when I want to wash the bike off. Being belt drive and clean lines, its super easy to keep this baby clean since it gets lots of riding.

I love the look of the white, its just too hot for me! I don't want to draw any unwanted attention, even with insurance.
Blue painters tape? I might go for black electrical tape instead for stealthiness or better yet, create a better charge port and cover. :)

I enjoyed my Trek Super Commuter 8 for two years but being a Harley Guy i just had to pull the trigger on a City Speed. I'm still in the process of setting it up to my liking... Suspension seatpost, Selle 209 seat, mirrors, pedals, water bottle holder, different grips , Ortlieb Panniers, etc.. almost done. Looking forward to a great relationship with this E-bike. They did a great job integrating all the cables! Very Clean.
I have a dual battery Riese Muller Super Delight with the 14 speed Rholoff as well. Looking forward to some LONG rails to trails rides.

Attachments

• C566AB99-E976-4F21-969B-7520F239F92F.jpeg
    C566AB99-E976-4F21-969B-7520F239F92F.jpeg
    586.6 KB · Views: 441
Last edited:

good to know ahead of time.

I enjoyed my Trek Super Commuter 8 for two years but being a Harley Guy i just had to pull the trigger on a Mosh City Speed. I'm still in the process of setting it up to my liking... Suspension seatpost, Selle 209 seat, mirrors, pedals, water bottle holder, different grips , Ortlieb Panniers, etc.. almost done. Looking forward to a great relationship with this E-bike. They did a great job integrating all the cables! Very Clean.
I have a dual battery Riese Muller Homage with the 14 speed Rholoff on order through Propel with a February build date.... gets delivered ? 2022. Looking for some LONG rails to trails rides.

Does it go a little faster than 28mph ? Looking for something that does 30 maybe 32mph, so far I can only find Sondors Rockstar/Lx models.

Does it go a little faster than 28mph ? Looking for something that does 30 maybe 32mph, so far I can only find Sondors Rockstar/Lx models.
Serial 1 city speed, like other E-bikes in it's class, is called a class 3 pedalec, which means the motor is only allowed to assist you up to 28 mph before it drops out. In reality, the algorithms of most e-bike class 3 manufacturers actually cause the Class 3's to drop out motor assistance around 26.5 mph. Bottom line is - in turbo mode you can get to 28 mph but you will drain your battery quickly and be pedaling your arse off.

Last edited:
Juiced and and the big Bafang mid drive equipped bikes . Guy in my area has a juiced on throttle over 28 that i think he said wasn’t modified and I hit 40 once on my Wattwagon with the Bafang bike

Not going to lie, I would love for it to go up to 35, because the bike is that solid at those speeds (you can go faster down hill) but have found that because its pedal assist and no throttle, i usually cruise around 25 mph anyways. Obviously I can get that higher with more practice but have found that class 1/2 would not suffice because its hella fun cruising at 25 mph on this bike!

Serial 1 mosh city speed, like other E-bikes in it's class, is called a class 3 pedalec, which means the motor is only allowed to assist you up to 28 mph before it drops out. In reality, the algorithms of most e-bike class 3 manufacturers actually cause the Class 3's to drop out motor assistance around 26.5 mph. Bottom line is - in turbo mode you can get to 28 mph but you will drain your battery quickly and be pedaling your arse off.
The Mosh City does not come in the "Speed" config and has a top assist speed of 20mph. The Rush/Cty Speed is the only Serial 1 ebike that can achieve 28mhp with motor assist. Over 28mph, you're on your own. :)

You can adjust the cadence to your preferred pace by using the Enviolo app. I set mine down to 60, plus adjusted the Eco-Tour-Sport-Boost settings from the controller on the handlebars up to 25-50-75-100.

Back