Hard time removing the cassette

abarone300

Region
Europe
Good morning to all. I was hoping someone would be able to give me some advise on how to remove the cassette (or freewheel. I got to be honest, I'm not sure what I have).
Can you confirm that the extractor needs to be turned in a counter clockwise direction? For this reason I didn't insist in applying more forceful methods to break loose the gears, worried that I might break something. I've tried spraying some penetrating oil and let soak overnight, nothing doing! I want to ask is the cassette might be an integral part of the motor's armature and if I need to take it apart. Also, can you suggest a way to hold the 12" diameter Golden Motor ( I think it's a Magic Pie ) motor firmly in place while I attempt to turn the extractor? Unfortunately I no longer have the wheel and rim mounted to it, to use as leverage. Thanks

IMG_2384.JPG

Cassette disassembly is difficult without a couple of special tools. You need a chain whip to hold the chain ring as well as a socket wrench. I use this kit available on eBay:

Here is a YouTube video which may be of help:

BTW: Welcome to the forum! You've come to the right place to ask questions.

Isn't cassette disassembly different from removal? It's been a while since I removed a freewheel (decades...) but I recall it just took the right kind of tool?

Good morning to all. I was hoping someone would be able to give me some advise on how to remove the cassette (or freewheel. I got to be honest, I'm not sure what I have).
Can you confirm that the extractor needs to be turned in a counter clockwise direction? For this reason I didn't insist in applying more forceful methods to break loose the gears, worried that I might break something. I've tried spraying some penetrating oil and let soak overnight, nothing doing! I want to ask is the cassette might be an integral part of the motor's armature and if I need to take it apart. Also, can you suggest a way to hold the 12" diameter Golden Motor ( I think it's a Magic Pie ) motor firmly in place while I attempt to turn the extractor? Unfortunately I no longer have the wheel and rim mounted to it, to use as leverage. Thanks

View attachment 103116
Thanks for your answer 6zfshdb , I will get the kit and try it. I also wanted a confirmation that the direction of the extractor is correct from someone who has taken the cassette off of this motor. I've tried finding videos on Youtube, but everything I've found so far, is "how to install", I even found someone who removed the cassette by hand ( a slight flick of his left hand, holding the motor with the other hand ) in a "how to remove and install a freewheel in your e-bike"! and then went on to describe spacers behind the gears for about 30 minutes, this is all interesting, but I think showing how to remove the gears would have just as interesting...

Is it a freewheel or cassette? If it's a freewheel, RJ the youtube bike guy clamps the freewheel tool in a vise and turns the wheel. In the case of a motor, one could turn the motor. For me, if it;s on the the motor only, it's never been torqued down by the chain, so I cean hold the motor and twist the freewheel tool with a wrench. CCW to remove,

I've only had to remove a freewheel twice. Both times I inserted the tool, put a big wrench on it, and gave the end of the wrench a health swat with a dead blow (plastic) hammer. I don't remember having difficulty either time.

Isn't cassette disassembly different from removal? It's been a while since I removed a freewheel (decades...) but I recall it just took the right kind of tool?
If it´s a freewheel,(which I doubt), you´ll still need to remove the black lock ring. without the special tool
it can still be loosened by tapping a slot screwdriver counterclockwise against a notch in the black ring.
If a cassette, it will slide off once the ring is removed. If a freewheel, you will still need a chain whip to
remove the freewheel counterclockwise while holding the wheel still. You can make a chain whip from
an old piece of chain screwed or nailed to a foot or so of 2¨ x 2¨ . A cassette cannot be replaced with a
freewheel, & vice-versa.

Is it a freewheel or cassette? If it's a freewheel, RJ the youtube bike guy clamps the freewheel tool in a vise and turns the wheel. In the case of a motor, one could turn the motor. For me, if it;s on the the motor only, it's never been torqued down by the chain, so I cean hold the motor and twist the freewheel tool with a wrench. CCW to remove,
It makes a lot of sense Harry, never thought of clamping down the extractor on on the vise, and turning the motor instead, should give me a lot more leverage.
You asked if I had the freewheel or the cassette, would one or the other change something in the way to use the extractor?

It makes a lot of sense Harry, never thought of clamping down the extractor on on the vise, and turning the motor instead, should give me a lot more leverage.
You asked if I had the freewheel or the cassette, would one or the other change something in the way to use the extractor?
Yes, clamping the extractor in a vise will work, just be sure you turn the wheel the right direction. You may
need to use the axle to bolt the extractor in place to keep it from popping out when twisted.

If it´s a freewheel,(which I doubt), you´ll still need to remove the black lock ring. without the special tool
it can still be loosened by tapping a slot screwdriver counterclockwise against a notch in the black ring.
If a cassette, it will slide off once the ring is removed. If a freewheel, you will still need a chain whip to
remove the freewheel counterclockwise while holding the wheel still. You can make a chain whip from
an old piece of chain screwed or nailed to a foot or so of 2¨ x 2¨ . A cassette cannot be replaced with a
freewheel, & vice-versa.
So, John if it's a cassette type the extractor wouldn't help unscrewing it, it would slide out once I remove the ring?
I did see the guy in the video unscrewing it, and it was the same motor; of course he didn't show the beginning
of the video using the extractor tool.
Basically if I remove the ring I should be able to remove it (sliding it out) if indeed it's a cassette, and
I won't find the same thread, like I did when I removed (unscrewing it with out a problem) on my other bike?
I'm going to the garage and try it out, I'll let you know if this works. Thanks

Cassette disassembly is difficult without a couple of special tools. You need a chain whip to hold the chain ring as well as a socket wrench. I use this kit available on eBay:

Here is a YouTube video which may be of help:

BTW: Welcome to the forum! You've come to the right place to ask questions.
I have a collection of those various extractors going back to the ´60s, most of which are obsolete,
but useful on vintage bikes.

So, John if it's a cassette type the extractor wouldn't help unscrewing it, it would slide out once I remove the ring?
I did see the guy in the video unscrewing it, and it was the same motor; of course he didn't show the beginning
of the video using the extractor tool.
Basically if I remove the ring I should be able to remove it (sliding it out) if indeed it's a cassette, and
I won't find the same thread, like I did when I removed (unscrewing it with out a problem) on my other bike?
I'm going to the garage and try it out, I'll let you know if this works. Thanks
An extractor will easily remove the lock ring; on a cassette thatś all you need. Once removed.
the cassette will slide right off. Cassettes are made for easy replacement, but do not last
as long as freewheels. Most 8 spd+ are cassettes. I´ll bet yours is a cassette. You can probably
get it off tapping a screwdriver.

As I was walking out to the garage I read tomjasz suggesting that it's not a cassette! At this point
I'm back to square one. What happens if I screw out the ring anyway and it turn out to be a freewheel?
Isn't there a way to tell before taking them out?

Hey John!
Every Magic Pie I sold and installed up through 2017 never had a cassette.
Thx, hard to believe ´pies´ are still out, seems like they´ve bin around forever. good to know.
I know you can get 8+ freewheels, but they´re getting harder to find & costing more. My question is:
why is he wanting it off? It looks to be in good condition.

As I was walking out to the garage I read tomjasz suggesting that it's not a cassette! At this point
I'm back to square one. What happens if I screw out the ring anyway and it turn out to be a freewheel?
Isn't there a way to tell before taking them out?
It's a win win. Loosening whatever it is (my vote = freewheel), will lead to either the entire freewheel coming off, or just the outer ring, which will allow the cassette to be removed.

Another option is a LBS that will probably take less than a minute to pop it off for free.
They did for me.

I have a collection of those various extractors going back to the ´60s, most of which are obsolete,
but useful on vintage bikes.
Most of these extractors though, have a small center hole and won't fit my motor's axle being that it's over half inch (.545") in diameter
I had to enlarge the hole of the one I bought to make it fit, it was tough because it's hardened steel and none of my drill bits worked, I
had to use a file; it took me an hour but I did it...

Last edited:
Back