Cube Hybrid Touring.....problems with chain guard

Ebikeseryri

Region
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I've been pleased with my Cube ebikes.
The chain guard is not good enough, however, and I've removed them. (I have 7 bikes, which are my little Ebike rental fleet.)
Does anyone know the part details?
I'd like to buy a simple chain wheel guard, because, at the moment, the chain wheel is fully exposed.
The chain wheel has the five, not four, screw holes, which are about 76mm apart from each other.
I haven't been able to find a manufacturer's mark, on the chain wheel.
If anyone knows how to find out which chain guard to buy, I'd love to know.
A very simple little disc would be fine.
Ben

Attachments

• IMG20210822165355.jpg
    IMG20210822165355.jpg
    657.4 KB · Views: 949
  • IMG20210822165351.jpg
    IMG20210822165351.jpg
    719.6 KB · Views: 832
  • IMG20210822165347.jpg
    IMG20210822165347.jpg
    338.7 KB · Views: 1,095
  • IMG20210822165342.jpg
    IMG20210822165342.jpg
    335.3 KB · Views: 934
Thes chain ring guards are easy to find, simple to install and not very expensive. You need to keep track of three critical measurements when making your selection:

1. BCD (bolt circle diameter) - usually 104 on Bosch equipped ebikes
2. Number of bolts - usually 4 on Bosch equipped bikes
3. Number of teeth in the chain ring.

You can buy these quite inexpensively on ebay.

Thes chain ring guards are easy to find, simple to install and not very expensive. You need to keep track of three critical measurements when making your selection:

1. BCD (bolt circle diameter) - usually 104 on Bosch equipped ebikes
2. Number of bolts - usually 4 on Bosch equipped bikes
3. Number of teeth in the chain ring.

You can buy these quite inexpensively on ebay.

Thanks Alaskan.....
I'll use those pointers, and count the teeth.
Not sure what BCD is.....
The chain wheel has five holes, to take the little screws...
Thank you very much for replying.... it's good to find this forum!

BCD= Bolt Circle Diameter. Measure that and with the number of bolt holes (5) search for "chainring guard 5 bolt ___BCD (specify motor maker such as Bosch or Brose" or substitute chain guard for chainring.

You might try to look for a complete replacement chainring with integrated chain guard like this which would also require purchase of a chain ring spider

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143944874367?hash=item2183c8797f:g:yG4AAOSwU5ZgJH38 Be sure you get the spider for the correct generation of your motors.

Last edited:
Hi all,
The chain guard is not good enough, however, and I've removed them. (I have 7 bikes, which are my little Ebike rental fleet.)
I'd like to buy a simple chain wheel guard, because, at the moment, the chain wheel is fully exposed.
The chain wheel has the five, not four, screw holes, which are about 76mm apart from each other.
Ben
Hello - I have this chain guard, how did you remove it. Obviously I removed the screw on the top of chainguard near rear wheel, but then got stuck. I could not seen any other screws. Thanks in advance.

Hello - I have this chain guard, how did you remove it. Obviously I removed the screw on the top of chainguard near rear wheel, but then got stuck. I could not seen any other screws. Thanks in advance.
Hi ritsut , I expect you've done this by now, but if not.....There are no other screws, once you have removed the screw, look inside the front sprocket part of the chainguard, you will see three metal arms each about 2cm wide the metal arm has a 90 degree bend where it slots into a receiver on the plastic chain guard. Rotate the circular part of the chainguard clockwise an inch or so, it will pop off the arms. you will then see how it is held in place. Then simply slip the chainguard over the pedals. The chain guard spider (For want of a better word) will also rotate a few degees under pressure. Be careful to align it when you replace the chainguard.

Hi ritsut , I expect you've done this by now, but if not.....There are no other screws, once you have removed the screw, look inside the front sprocket part of the chainguard, you will see three metal arms each about 2cm wide the metal arm has a 90 degree bend where it slots into a receiver on the plastic chain guard. Rotate the circular part of the chainguard clockwise an inch or so, it will pop off the arms. you will then see how it is held in place. Then simply slip the chainguard over the pedals. The chain guard spider (For want of a better word) will also rotate a few degees under pressure. Be careful to align it when you replace the chainguard.
Thank you for this. It will be handy to know if the chain comes off the front gear. And not trapped by the chain guard.

Thank you for this. It will be handy to know if the chain comes off the front gear. And not trapped by the chain guard.
Trapped between the chainguard & front sprocket?...That how I found all that out - at the side of a busy road. Unjamming the chain took 3/4 of an hour. It needs a spacer to provide a couple of mm clearance between the sprocket and the chainguard spider & make the chain easier to extract.

Has anyone in the UK managed to source the KMC Chainguard for their Cube Gen4 38T ring, or found any other solution? My existing Cube chain guard has a broken clip and is only just staying in place, so I'm desperately looking for a simpler chain guard or guide! The KMC version isn only available in Europe and they now refuse to ship to the UK.

I haven't needed to fish my chain out since the last /only time it got trapped.

I have emailed hollandbikeshop to enquire why they won't sell to the UK.

Meanwhile: Try here there doesn't seem to be a bar on UK sales from Germany:

Thanks for the info, but have already tried them! When I go to make a payment either by Paypal or credit card, it says "minimum order not reached" Which in other words means they will not ship to UK! It's a little concerning and annoying that you can buy these bikes in the UK but are unable to purchase some spares for them. If I wanted to replace like for like, which I don't, they are not available from Cube either! The bike shop blames Brexit! It's ridiculous and frustrating that these manufacturers are happy to sell their complete bikes to UK but not their parts! If I could just get a suitable chain guide to fit instead of the guard, I would probably make do with that, but that's also seems impossible!

Hi guys, i have the same chain guard. I undid the screw attached to the rear wheel and i rotated the chain guard clock wise but it seems like the mount just stops it from moving. I saw clips from the mount to the plastic guard but doesn't seem like a way it pops off? Am i just being dense?
chain guard.jpg

Hi all,
Ben
I made chain cover for my cube Kathmandu ebike with a readily available generic cover. Drilled some holes to align with Bosch chain ring and used 3mm diameter 20mm screws and 15mm plastic spacers to fit everything together. Works like a charm

Attachments

• IMG_6601.jpg
    IMG_6601.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_6602.jpg
    IMG_6602.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6603.jpg
    IMG_6603.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 15
I made chain cover for my cube Kathmandu ebike with a readily available generic cover. Drilled some holes to align with Bosch chain ring and used 3mm diameter 20mm screws and 15mm plastic spacers to fit everything together. Works like a charm
Hi Faisal,
Where did you source your cain cover?
TIA
Cookecarey

Back