Moustache Samedi 27 Weekend FS Dual EQ.

Fractale

Region
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am new to this forum as I have just purchased a Moustache Bike - the Samedi 27 Weekend FS Dual EQ.

As I received the bike (it was delivered) I was super excited. The bike is just amazingly GORGEOUS! It look very well finished, strong, ultra robust, modern, and even had an electronic pad that has so many functionality including GPS, is tactile, etc.

I went for my first ride yesterday.

The bike is very comfortable, it is really an all terrain and the full suspension does make a massive difference, it absorb shocks very well.

On tarmac, gravel, grass, forest paths, amazing!

But sadly I got 2 disappointments:

1/ The strength of the assistance/ motor, particularly in steep climbs. After renting a bike from another brand (cube) from a rental store (my only comparison) a few weeks ago, I was very indeed disappointed with my purchase. Despite being in Turbo mode, I felt almost that there was no assistance or nearly nothing. Forget about being on a steep climb in any lower mode (Eco, Tour or EMTB). The bike is robust but as a result also really heavy and the motor seems to struggle to push the bike and the rider on steep climb.

As I said, my comparison is a Cube bike which I rented a few weeks ago. The CUBE bike would have cost me a third of the Moustache bike. Climbing a steep climb with the CUBE bike was like being on a flat surface.

2/ My second disappointment was on changing the gears, up or down. I know we all have different cycling styles but I found that the change of gears was very noisy and each time I was wondering if there was something wrong with the chain. Like a massive cracking noise. I was told that it is because I should release the pressure on the pedals when changing the gears but I don’t find it convenient when you are pushing to go up… I have been cycling (non e-Bikes) for many years and never had that problem…

I gave this feedback to my reseller who immediately suggested I send them the bike back to be checked. They told me that this is one of the best e-Bike on the market with the Bosh CX Performance motor which is considered THE best e-Bike motor. They will test the bike tomorrow. They were astonished I would be disappointed with this dream machine.

MY QUESTIONS: being a bit lost (and sad - I really like the bike) I am wondering if anyone has had similar experiences with this bike. If so, I would really like to hear from them, from other owners.

I have read a lot of reviews before buying this bike and they were all amazing.

I would like to use the bike in the French Alps for long rides but if it is such a bad climber, I probably made a mistake.

I want to stress that this bike is probably the most beautiful bike I have ever seen/ owned. It looks strong, it is extremely beautiful, it has great accessories, the suspension is amazing, the mudguard are in strong metal, etc..! On flat terrain and descents, it is pure bliss to ride on any sort of terrain. One more thing, the battery life is a massive plus - after 35 miles I had only spent a bit more than 20% of the capacity. But on the climbs… my experience was terrible 😞

Hopefully my message won’t have lost to many readers. I really really (really!) would appreciate honest and constructive feedback, hearing from owners experience and perhaps getting some tips?
Thanks a lot!

Hi. Good purchase. I own 2x Moustache samadi xroad fs7s. Te the power up the hills. Try getting your cadence up by going to being ring on back. Do this and it feels like someone has grabbed you by the shirt and pulling you up hill.

When you change gears do you momentarily stop pedaling. This makes for smoother changes.makes a huge difference.

Re battery distance i commute a lot around town. Race cars 😏off the mark. When i then go for a leisurely ride it ssys i only can go 88kms. It then starts climbing in milage whilst its brain sorts its self out from my round town racing. 50 leisurely kms later it tells me i have 80kms left.

They are extremely robust and strong. I hit a raised island at 30kmh. Spectacular crash I was told. Bike nearly zero damage. I was not so lucky.

Cheers Steve in NZ

Last edited:
Hi. Good purchase. I own 2x Moustache samadi xroad fs7s. Te the power up the hills. Try getting your cadence up by going to being ring on back. Do this and it feels like someone has grabbed you by the shirt and pulling you up hill.

When you change gears do you momentarily stop pedaling. This makes for smoother changes.makes a huge difference.

Re battery distance i commute a lot around town. Race cars 😏off the mark. When i then go for a leisurely ride it ssys i only can go 88kms. It then starts climbing in milage whilst its brain sorts its self out from my round town racing. 50 leisurely kms later it tells me i have 80kms left.

They are extremely robust and strong. I hit a raised island at 30kmh. Spectacular crash I was told. Bike nearly zero damage. I was not so lucky.

Cheers Steve in NZ
Wow, thank you very much for your feedback. Most grateful for it. Could you clarify what you mean by “ Try getting your cadence up by going to being ring on back.” Do you mean switching to easy gears? Or is this maybe a feature I don’t know about?

I have decided to keep the bike because it is - like you said - an amazing bike. Suspension is amazing, the feel on any surface is really good, agility is also really good. On climb, better feeing than the first days, but I have to put on the very easy gear and just push normally to go up. But I don’t have that feeling of being pulled by the shirt. Would be great if you could tell me more details on how you ride in climbs? If you don’t mine being detailed as I am still a novice and don’t always have understand the technical description 😂
Thanks a lot.

I ride a Moustache Dimanche 29.5. Cadence is the number of turns you do on the pedals per minute. With that motor, if you can keep between 65 and 75 you should be good on anything. Plenty of power to "assist".

On my ride, one change of the cogs (gear up or down) equals about 10 in cadence, going the same speed.

To use Cadence:
As you approach a hill, keep pushing until you want to shift at, say 65 cadence. Then pause and shift down, to 75 cadence, same speed. Then as it gets harder, let your cadence drop to 65, and less effort/or steeper. Shift again to same speed but 75 cadence. Let it drop again. Repeat.

Try to do this until you get to the top of the hill by pacing how much effort, cadence and shifting. Going over 9-12 mph up somewhat steep hills is a very good speed.

When you get good, you can keep 80-90 cadence, while on assist.

To use Power Watts:
As you ascend the hill try to keep your power output about 150-200. Shift down to go slower and use less power. Shift up to use more power. Go whatever speed and any constant cadence over 60.

Since you have the Nylon. You can configure your display to show just what your want. Mine is Cadence first, Power second, Speed third. Then Time of day, and assist mode.

Also the Nylon should have the ability to adjust the power output for each of the different assist levels.

You need to easy off when shifting no different from driving manual car. Once you get hang of it will become automatic.
As for lack of power all I can think is there is fault in motor or you are in to high a gear.

Both my performanceline 65nm and old CX 75nm both fly up hills in Turbo. The new 85nm CX should be even faster.

I almost pre-ordered this bike in December, but for a couple reasons decided against it. Not sure it would have made it to the US anyway this year with all the shipping and supply issues, but i should check with the reseller If they did manage to get any. Unfortunately i'm not a big fan of Bosch due to their proprietary and anti-consumer repair philosophy.

Bosch can be bit anal when it comes support. Wouldn't let me upgrade my dead just out of warranty 25kmhr motor for 32km even though that is now standard for NZ. Couldn't keep old motor even though I paid for new one, Shimano let you keep old motor. Bosch did turn it around in few days so no complaints there and bike shop loaned me better emtb which was mistake, now I want to upgrade.

On plus side Bosch do make great motors and parts are cheap from Germany online shops like Bike discount and bike24. They sell everything but motors.

I think not allowing you to keep the old motor might actually be illegal. Seems i remember legal cases with auto repair shops/dealers trying to do the same and they all lost big time even with their big money lawyers.

Last edited:
I think not allowing you to keep the old motor might actually be illegal. Seems i remember legal cases with auto repair shops trying to do the same and they all lots big time even with their big money lawyers.
Bosch threatened shop with loss of their dealership. They were a bit put back by Bosch's threat. Shop was excellent and loaned me quality eMTB while Bosch turned motor around. Shimano on the hand don't care what shop does with old motor.

Bosch threatened shop with loss of their dealership. They were a bit put back by Bosch's threat. Shop was excellent and loaned me quality eMTB while Bosch turned motor around. Shimano on the hand don't care what shop does with old motor.
For what it is worth, Specialized don't return replaced parts either.

Back