Ventan Wolfram 27.5 Plus with E-rad 750W motor

Greg H.

I finally picked up my e-bike yesterday afternoon. It all started last November watching a video of @Court Rye making a trek to work on his Emotion bike. I after lots of research, studying many reviews, and reading many posts, I decided that the E-rad motor was the way for me to go.
I then spoke with @Chris Head at Lectric Cycles to discuss a build. Wanting a Rohloff Hub, he directed me to a more local builder, Cycle Monkey. Cycle Monkey said that they work closely with a frame builder - Ventana Mountain Bikes, USA (even a more local to me). Here is the end product....
IMG_0112_resize.JPG

Very nice, clean build except for the battery on the back! Belt drive, IGH, everything else is truly there - about as near to a retail bike as you'll get going the DIY route - enjoy!

Very nice, clean build except for the battery on the back! Belt drive, IGH, everything else is truly there - about as near to a retail bike as you'll get going the DIY route - enjoy!
Yeah, the battery pack is in a waterproof MTX bag and the bag is a little big. I may look for something half the size. I don't really notice it when riding, but it does look a little gaudy. I do like the storage though. The battery only takes up about a 1/4 of the bag.

With belt drive and Rohloff, this is going to be a great bike!
Congratulations Greg!
I guess you picked up rectangular 48V, 20Ah pack from Lectric?
Chris is a great guy and very responsive. They could also build a traingular compartment to house that battery pack.
You may want to consider using spiral wrap.

ebike-wire-wrap-comparison.jpg

With belt drive and Rohloff, this is going to be a great bike!
Congratulations Greg!
I guess you picked up rectangular 48V, 20Ah pack from Lectric?
Chris is a great guy and very responsive. They could also build a traingular compartment to house that battery pack.
You may want to consider using spiral wrap.

ebike-wire-wrap-comparison.jpg

I've got a few thing to figure out before I wrap - preferred stem height, solidifying the brake cut off switches, and a few other fine tuning items. I will for sure wrap everything in a professional manner as soon as I get the bugs worked out! Every bike needs to fit personal preferences and it's very hard for a bike builder can anticipate what those all will be. This is my first bike in 20 years so I have a learning curve too.

The battery is a Lectric Cycles 48V 20.3 A/h battery. The rear mount is something the builder(s) came up with. I initially thought I would have a down tube mounted battery (14 A/h), but like the idea of the larger amps and am planning on using all of them! The triangular battery pack looks like a great alternate, but I think the storage on a on rear rack is something I will use. I do need to find a solution to downsize the rear trunk bag.

Some more photos...(Link Removed - Attachment No Longer Exists) (Link Removed - Attachment No Longer Exists)
IMG_0114_resize.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0115_resize.JPG
    IMG_0115_resize.JPG
    121.9 KB · Views: 551
  • IMG_0116_resize.JPG
    IMG_0116_resize.JPG
    211.7 KB · Views: 606
  • IMG_0117_resize.JPG
    IMG_0117_resize.JPG
    175 KB · Views: 631
  • IMG_0119_resize.JPG
    IMG_0119_resize.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 547
  • IMG_0121_resize.JPG
    IMG_0121_resize.JPG
    195 KB · Views: 526
  • IMG_0122_resize.JPG
    IMG_0122_resize.JPG
    176.4 KB · Views: 569
  • IMG_0123_resize.JPG
    IMG_0123_resize.JPG
    144.9 KB · Views: 595
  • IMG_0113_resize.JPG
    IMG_0113_resize.JPG
    209.3 KB · Views: 529
I finally picked up my e-bike yesterday afternoon. It all started last November watching a video of @Court Rye making a trek to work on his Emotion bike. I after lots of research, studying many reviews, and reading many posts, I decided that the E-rad motor was the way for me to go.
I then spoke with @Chris Head at Lectric Cycles to discuss a build. Wanting a Rohloff Hub, he directed me to a more local builder, Cycle Monkey. Cycle Monkey said tat they work closely with a frame builder - Ventana Mountain Bikes, USA (even a more local to me). Here is the end product.... ..

How is this bike holding up?
The motor and battery are fine after a few years and 5000 miles (??)
Curious to hear your feedback.

Not one bit of issue with this bike. It has worked flawlessly and is a dream to ride. I've gone over 80 miles on a charge in 1 or 2 power several times, I don't do more than about 40 miles at a time typically. I haven't checked how many miles are on the bike as of late, but excess of 3000 miles.

The Rohloff is the sweet spot. On demand gear - anyone of them. King of the stop-N-start at lights.

Back