GPS

Silvercat

Hi,
I would appreciate recommendations regarding a GPS (preferably Garmin) that is basic, color mapping, and allows me to type a location, place, address, etc., to navigate to (like a car GPS). Also one that does not require a cell phone.
I do not need fitness options. I ride a Moscow Plus.
I have been looking at the Garmin Edge 30. That has wifi that I have read is very helpful. I do not go on mountain bike downhill routes.
Thanks!

I've been using both a Garmin Montana 450T and a Garmin Oregon 650 on my bikes for many years. I use two devices, one to display a map and the other to display the ride stats. This saves the trouble of having to push buttons to switch screens. These are older GPS receivers but both are address rout-able with built in maps and still do the job. The Garmin Edge is a nice unit but I see no reason to upgrade at this point.

The WiFi feature is indeed handy for updating the unit without having to connect it to a computer. In my case, I connect to a computer anyway to upload waypoints & routes to the unit so WiFi isn't all that important to me.

There are many cycling specific GPS units available but they can get pricey. It all depends on your needs, budget and how you plan to use the GPS.

Thanks for your thoughts. I am trying to decide between the Garmin Edge 520 Plus ($290.00 for the device itself) versus the Edge 530 ($419.00 for the device). Apparently the 530 has a much faster processor. It also has wifi and some other upgrades, including built in Trailforks (I believe useless unless riding mountain bike trails).
I plan to stick with Garmin as my car’s portable GPS is an older voice controlled Garmin that has been and continues to be excellent.
Thanks again.

Why not just use your smartphone? It will do everything you mentioned and lots more as well.

Thanks but believe it or not, I never have and never will own a cell phone. I do not want to be addicted and I feel free without one. Also, in my Professional work as a Psych over 30 years, I have never experienced any significant issues without a cel phone. Maybe I am just lucky!?

I wish you well with that. To me the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. My wife and I are in our seventies and we feel more secure knowing that a 911 call is at our fingertips, especially when riding our bikes. Aside from that it's just a phone, we do all our interneting at home. But the GPS and mapping functionality is often useful and better than a dedicated unit because maps and apps are always up to date.
As much as anything though, it is a lifestyle choice and I respect yours.

you want the touch screen it is a deal breaker with garmin. it makes it so much easier and practical to use the garmin explore is not bad at all for the price. this is on sale but only today https://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/garmin-edge-1030 I have used most of them the 1030 is really good with the longest lasting battery. I have tyha and the explore I use on a regular basis. the only real complaint about the explore is it does not have the altimeter. but you will have to have a pc or a Mac to plug it into to update it.

I wish you well with that. To me the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. My wife and I are in our seventies and we feel more secure knowing that a 911 call is at our fingertips, especially when riding our bikes. Aside from that it's just a phone, we do all our interneting at home. But the GPS and mapping functionality is often useful and better than a dedicated unit because maps and apps are always up to date.
As much as anything though, it is a lifestyle choice and I respect yours.
Hi,
I agree with you about safety issues. Without a doubt, when it comes time that I feel my health becomes precarious, I certainly will opt for a cell phone or a similar device for security/safety. Congrats to both of you for continuing to cycle in your seventies!
I can and do upgrade my maps regularly and, like my car GPS, find upgrades once or twice a year to be fine.
And, yes, it sure is a lifestyle choice. To that end, I feel given that I do not own a cell phone, drive only standard transmission cars, (lower risk for theft), and use a voice controlled GPS that sits beside my stick shift (not on the windshield where frequent falls and subsequent distraction occurs), I ought to receive a good insurance discount!! Lol. Not holding my breath on that one!!
Keep safe and many more years of happy riding to you both!

you want the touch screen it is a deal breaker with garmin. it makes it so much easier and practical to use the garmin explore is not bad at all for the price. this is on sale but only today https://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/garmin-edge-1030 I have used most of them the 1030 is really good with the longest lasting battery. I have tyha and the explore I use on a regular basis. the only real complaint about the explore is it does not have the altimeter. but you will have to have a pc or a Mac to plug it into to update it.
Thank you...most appreciated! I figure I will only adjust the GPS before I ride, for safety reasons.

Why not just use your smartphone? It will do everything you mentioned and lots more as well.
I carry a smartphone for other reasons but use a Garmin on my bike for navigation. Yes, there are many smartphone nav apps but none allow you to upload large numbers of waypoints or custom maps. It is easy to do this using PC software with a Garmin.

Back