Gocycle releases image of upcoming G4 sports car-inspired electric bike

FlatSix911

Region
USA
City
Silicon Valley
A first look at the next-gen Gocycle... a very expensive high-end no compromises folding EBike.

Even though Gocycle-founder Richard Thorpe doesn’t work at McLaren anymore, he took his automotive engineering experience with him when he began his own high-end electric bicycle company. That has led to a very sophisticated series of urban-oriented commuter e-bikes under the Gocycle brand. Designed and produced in the United Kingdom, Gocycle’s e-bikes have offered innovative designs with exotic materials. But they aren’t just fancy for fancy’s sake. Advances like the completely enclosed drivetrain to eliminate most maintenance and single-supported quick-release wheels that can support tire changes while still on the bike have made Gocycle’s e-bikes easier to own and use. Now we’re getting a look at the latest innovation in the Gocycle lineup, the Gocycle G4.

The company’s fourth-generation model line is said to incorporate an all-new carbon front fork that is built around the brand new G4Drive motor system. So far, we’re only getting a teaser image of the upper part of the fork, which you can see below. Unlike most e-bikes, the Gocycle hides its motor in the front wheel, meaning that the motor is just out of view in the teaser image. Most people don’t even realize the motor is in the wheel as it is cleverly incorporated into the hub in a way that doesn’t look like the other 99.9% of hub motors we see every day. The new fourth-generation Gocycle e-bikes will be available in three variations and will replace the previous GX and GXi models. We previously reviewed the Gocycle GX and found it to be quite effective as a lightweight and high-tech folding e-bike designed for city commuters that are serious about a no-muss, no-fuss e-bike.

You can see that review video below, which should give you a taste for the type of e-bikes we’re talking about here. The fourth-generation bikes are actually already in production to prepare for deliveries starting this Spring.
We don’t know the tech specs yet, but we do have pricing info.

• Gocycle G4 MSRP: £3,199 / €3,499 / $3,999
  • Gocycle G4i MSRP: £3,999 / €4,499 / $4,999
  • Gocycle G4i+ MSRP £4,999 / €5,499 / $5,999

Gocycle-G4-Tease-Image.jpg

So how exactly is this model an upgrade?

Man I loved these bikes when I test rode them, but that price. Sheesh.

Even then, I would pay the price for the bike, if I was in anyway confident you could lock them up outside without it getting stolen. Looks to nice not to get stolen I think.

That´s an awful lotta dough for a 36v, 10ah, bike with just 375 wh. Under 40 pds., but
somehow does not vaguely remind me of a McLaren. Then again, I´m not exactly a jetsetter.
Don´t break anything; I bet parts are astronomical.

Last edited:
What did he do exactly?

When I think about McLaren, everyone thinks about Gordon Murray.

It says that he worked at McLaren and left in 2002.

It says he was a "design engineer for McLaren F1" but I thought it was designed by Gordon Murray?
The chief engineer of McLaren F1, Gordon Murray said McLaren F1 was inspired by Honda NSX and Toyota Sera.
!5 mph....ooo scary. Gonna need a banked track:eek:

That´s an awful lotta dough for a 36v, 10ah, bike with just 375 wh. Under 40 pds., but
somehow does not vaguely remind me of a McLaren. Then again, I´m not exactly a jetsetter.
Don´t break anything; I bet parts are astronomical.

The accessories are also insanely expensive. The thing is I really want one. If I go into work or a client that when it would be most useful. And I could use it to just bike around for recreation.

But anywhere where I need to lock it up outside, like when going to the movie theaters, or museum or anywhere where I would have to lock it up outside I dont see it being that useful.

The thing is there arent any other foldable bikes that are that good it seems, so I really dont know.

Back