GoPowerBike GoCity Review + Test Ride

There are a lot of differences between the 2019 model ebr reviewed and the 2020 model for 2020. Motors seem different as 2020 they say goes only to 18, versus 20 mph for the 2019 Sondra (sp ?) motor. The 2019 model had fat 4 inch tires while the 2020 has narrower tires without reflective strip or reflectors. Imagine the 2020 model is lighter. Lot of other differences. Pluses for 2020 is adds back rack with rear light and better, bigger front and rear fenders. Perhaps better Vela saddle. Also 2020 you can access full throttle at any assist level and has a red on and off safety button for shutting off motor. The 2020 seems to have inferior front fork compared to 2019, as well as other changes listed above. Both have 10 amp battery. Perhaps these changes (less powerful motor, thinner tires, inferior suspension fork) explain price difference. Of course, some people may prefer a lighter bike with non fat tires.

Hey guys! Thanks for stopping by to check out our review! The GoCity is actually a different model than the GoExpress. They have quite a few things in common, no doubt! The express has those bigger tires and different fenders and doesn't come with a rack. I haven't got my hands on an express yet, but if I had to pick one, I might lean towards the GoCity due to most of the similarities. Maybe I'll get an Express and do a comparison video! :)

Review implies that it is not a geared hub motor, but a brushless DC motor. They're all brushless motors. and the GoCity website says it is a geared motor.

Review implies that it is not a geared hub motor, but a brushless DC motor. They're all brushless motors. and the GoCity website says it is a geared motor.
Hey Harry! I checked out their website and on the main page it does say "Gear Hub Motor", but when I checked out the Electrical Components tab, it was listed as "500W BRUSHLESS HUB MOTOR" Maybe that first one was a typo, and they meant "Rear" instead of "Gear"? I said brushless because of the specification sheet I received from the company, so I think it's not geared, but I will check with GoPower and see what they say.

I may be using the wrong language to differentiate between DC and geared. I've always said brushless vs. geared, but it looks like the distinction is actually direct drive vs. geared?

I appreciate the correction and knowledge here, Harry! :)

You will come to appreciate the difference between a direct drive and a geared motor, both being DC brushless machines. Both have their advantages.

Back