2021 Momentum Transend E+

Ludrus

I was trying to buy a large 2020 Transend E+ but it looks like it’s not available but they have a 2021 model available for $200 more at $2800. Does anybody know what the differences are if any? I can’t really seem to find much info on the 2021 model. Either way I’d be interested to hear from others that have the 2020 or 2021 model about what they think about it.

Checkout @Coolbob ‘s post on how to add ebike lights https://electricbikereview.com/foru...omentum-transend-e-giant-and-liv-bikes.35906/

I haven’t ridden it but I like the full size 700c wheels and Yamaha motor, my local Giant dealer can plug the bikes into software for a remote diagnostic by a Yamaha technician and change the settings, were I to buy one I’d have my shop set it to Class 1 as I don’t need or want extra speed. Needs commuting accessories adding: fenders, lights, and a rack.

Last edited:

Checkout @Coolbob ‘s post on how to add ebike lights https://electricbikereview.com/foru...omentum-transend-e-giant-and-liv-bikes.35906/

I haven’t ridden it but I like the full size 700c wheels and Yamaha motor, my local Giant dealer can plug the bikes into software for a remote diagnostic by a Yamaha technician and change the settings, were I to buy one I’d have my shop set it to Class 1 as I don’t need or want extra speed. Needs commuting accessories adding adding: fenders, lights, and a rack.

I haven’t ridden it but I like the full size 700c wheels and Yamaha motor, my local Giant dealer can plug the bikes into software for a remote diagnostic by a Yamaha technician and change the settings, were I to buy one I’d have my shop set it to Class 1 as I don’t need or want extra speed. Needs commuting accessories adding adding: fenders, lights, and a rack.
Thanks, that’s good info on how to add a headlight. Also good info that the bike can be set to level 1 if that becomes necessary. I want to try it first as Class 3 and see how that goes.

I was trying to buy a large 2020 Transend E+ but it looks like it’s not available but they have a 2021 model available for $200 more at $2800. Does anybody know what the differences are if any? I can’t really seem to find much info on the 2021 model. Either way I’d be interested to hear from others that have the 2020 or 2021 model about what they think about it.

Yes, I ended up buying the bike and it does look like the 2021 model comes with the 500wh battery. That’s the only difference as far as I can tell. It’s also $200 more but I think that’s not too bad for the extra capacity. I’ve really been enjoying the bike so far.

Hi there, I have a 2021 Transend E+, in our New Zealand market spec’d with a 500w battery, I‘m getting around 110km from a charge. Super comfortabl, good handling. I’ve made a few small changes, running SPD pedals, have shorten brake a gear cables up, removed all but 1 handle bar stem spacer, I have also replaced the standard 18t rear sprocket with a 21t, which has made all 7 gears usable under assistance, the top gear as standard is so high it is effectively unusable. I have it set in the automatic power assistance mode which I find excellent. Don’t hesitate to buy!

@Andyhallaway - I'm jealous of your 500w battery, my 2020 came with a 375w. It's plenty for the length of my rides, but more reserve would be better.

I agree with your positive evaluation of the bike, I'm finding mine to be very versatile and it puts a smile on my face every time I ride it. I especially appreciate how quiet the bike is, not a single rattle or squeak, the internal hub means no derailleur chatter or chain slap when going over bumps, just the hum of the motor and a little hum from the tires.

I've also upgraded to larger pedals, removed one stem spacer, and enjoy the intuitive automatic power assistance. I find the gearing to be just right, but good to know I can swap out to lower gearing if desired.

I've added a 'few' additional accessories, Quad Lock stem mount (I really like being able to glance at the new RideControl app running while I ride), bar ends, seat clamp, Topeak seat bag (cable lock and tools), Topeak handlebar bag (mask, chapstick, wallet, phone power bank, battery key, misc) rear rack, Topeak trunk bag (for unneeded clothing, Pickleball paddle&balls, running errands) and Vis-E combo lights (love that the latest firmware update turns lighting circuit on automatically turned on when bike is powered up).

Attachments

• RJ6_1500.JPG
    RJ6_1500.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 769
  • RJ6_1502.JPG
    RJ6_1502.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 766
  • RJ6_1504.JPG
    RJ6_1504.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 875
I especially appreciate how quiet the bike is, not a single rattle or squeak, the internal hub means no derailleur chatter or chain slap when going over bumps, just the hum of the motor and a little hum from the tires.
I took a 2021 Momentum Transend for a test ride last week and the internally geared hub was making a very distinctive clicking noise while I was pedalling. It sounded like the ratchet sound from the free hub that a normal bike makes while coasting, except this did it while pedalling. I had a look online and apparently this is normal for IGHs.

Does your bike not make this sound? Or have you tuned it out?

Besides the noise while riding and the slight delay between pedalling and the power being applied, I really liked this bike and will probably buy one. Just curious whether the sound I heard is normal. I'd love to discover the hubs on this bike are usually silent!

Hi there, no the gear hub should run silent when pedalling. Gear adjustment is easy, just put the bike in 4th gear and at the rear hub there is a small window with 2 lines on each side, these should line up to form one line, just turn the gear cable adjuster whichever way needed to line up, very simple, but the bike must be in 4th gear.

They do have a battery terminal problem that causes the bike to randomly switch off, there is a simple warranty spacer that the dealer will fit free of charge, if you buy make sure it is fitted from new. If they don’t know about it get them to google it, it is a problem with all Giant/Momentum ebike batteries, certainly late model. Giant UK’s web site has a picture of the spacer kit.

Why you are experiencing a slight power delay is that they are programmed to only initially provide 50% of the available torque, then full torque comes in, to stop them overloading the whole drive line.

Always take off from stand still in first gear, once again not to over load the drive line in a higher gear.

I always ride mine in the auto power selection, rather than manually setting a power level, it is one of the best features of the bike.

There was a recent software update, via the Giant phone app for the bike, this defaults to turning the headlight control on, the bike does have a head light, so just switch it off each time.

Last edited:
@Andyhallaway - I'm jealous of your 500w battery, my 2020 came with a 375w. It's plenty for the length of my rides, but more reserve would be better.

I agree with your positive evaluation of the bike, I'm finding mine to be very versatile and it puts a smile on my face every time I ride it. I especially appreciate how quiet the bike is, not a single rattle or squeak, the internal hub means no derailleur chatter or chain slap when going over bumps, just the hum of the motor and a little hum from the tires.

I've also upgraded to larger pedals, removed one stem spacer, and enjoy the intuitive automatic power assistance. I find the gearing to be just right, but good to know I can swap out to lower gearing if desired.

I've added a 'few' additional accessories, Quad Lock stem mount (I really like being able to glance at the new RideControl app running while I ride), bar ends, seat clamp, Topeak seat bag (cable lock and tools), Topeak handlebar bag (mask, chapstick, wallet, phone power bank, battery key, misc) rear rack, Topeak trunk bag (for unneeded clothing, Pickleball paddle&balls, running errands) and Vis-E combo lights (love that the latest firmware update turns lighting circuit on automatically turned on when bike is powered up).
68E87AFB-7C01-463A-B203-23715ED00DC3.jpeg

Great looking bike @Andyhallaway! We bought a dark, metallic blue Momentum Vida E+ for my wife recently and I really like how the black pieces blend in with the darker colors.

Hi there, no the gear hub should run silent when pedalling. Gear adjustment is easy, just put the bike in 4th gear and at the rear hub there is a small window with 2 lines on each side, these should line up to form one line, just turn the gear cable adjuster whichever way needed to line up, very simple, but the bike must be in 4th gear.
There is only one mechanical cable on the bike, the one that shifts the gears. All other controls on the bike are hydraulic or electric. Cables stretch as they are broken in and require adjustment to compensate for stretching. I adjusted my shifter cable a few timed during the first 500 miles or so and have not needed to adjust it since.

They do have a battery terminal problem that causes the bike to randomly switch off, there is a simple warranty spacer that the dealer will fit free of charge, if you buy make sure it is fitted from new. If they don’t know about it get them to google it, it is a problem with all Giant/Momentum ebike batteries, certainly late model. Giant UK’s web site has a picture of the spacer kit.

So far we have never experienced any issues with our 2020 Transend E+ or Vida E+, but good to know how to resolve the battery connection problem should it arise.

Why you are experiencing a slight power delay is that they are programmed to only initially provide 50% of the available torque, then full torque comes in, to stop them overloading the whole drive line.

There is a 'nudge' as the power comes on, it's barely perceptible to me. Much better than the sudden shove and abrupt cut off of power I experienced on some of the hub drive bikes I took for test rides while shopping a year ago.

Always take off from stand still in first gear, once again not to over load the drive line in a higher gear.

I have a different philosophy, I usually ride on 3rd or 4th gear and take off in whatever gear I intend to cruise in, it may put the chain under a bit more stress, but I'd rather put more wear on the chain and less on the hub from unnecessary shifting. Do check your chain for stretch, grab the chain in the middle between the two sprockets and if you can move it up and down more than an 1" it needs to be adjusted. I cleaned all the oil off my chain and lube it with White Lightning Wax Lube every 75 miles or so.

I always ride mine in the auto power selection, rather than manually setting a power level, it is one of the best features of the bike.

I agree, Auto mode is great. My wife hasn't ridden in many years, so she's using maximum assist to get used to riding again.

There was a recent software update, via the Giant phone app for the bike, this defaults to turning the headlight control on, the bike does have a head light, so just switch it off each time.

Momentum bikes in the US don't come with lights, only reflectors. Thankfully the 6v connectors for the headlight and taillight are tucked away inside the bike frame, so adding lights isn't too difficult. I added this headlight/taillight to my bike. https://lightandmotion.com/collections/e-bike/products/vis-e-combo

Hey guys, I've got one of these 2021 models too (bought back in November). It's running quite well, but there's a couple of quirks i'm wondering about...

I noticed on the Momentum website they call it a 28 mph (ie, 45kph) machine for the latest models (2022 year?), while using the same battery and motor as we've got, where ours are strictly 32 kph which is only 20mph - is this a NZ thing? - is the 45kph an american thing? (obviously battery life would suffer at greater speeds) But, does this mean that there might be a simple software tweak that could make it into a 45kph bike? I'm finding 32 fine for MOST riding, but occasionally it would be nice to get 36 or 40 out of it, for safety purposes - getting throught that changing traffic light, etc... I'd kinda rather not fork out another $150 on a speed-chip (once the warrantee is out).

Another thing: i've done around 1200 kms on it, and it makes a random sound occasionally, sort of a 'clack' that sounds like it's coming from down in the motor/crank/chainring area. No noticeable change in power, just a weird (unhealthy) sound... I cant replicate it, it just happens. Time for a visit to the shop I guess, unless anyone can suggest something to tighten etc? I tightened up the chain this morning, and gave it a good lube, but the noise still happened a few times on the way to work.

Where in NZ are you @Andyhallaway?

@swtchbkr Congrats on the Momentum Bike!

I can't help on the speed limit question, but I can think of a couple of things to check on the unusual noise. Good idea on checking the chain tension, I've always heard that if you grab the chain midway between the sprockets and can move it up and down an inch, then it needs to be tightened. Shift your bike up to 7th gear, then slowly click it to one gear at a time (you don't need to be riding or turning the pedals to do this) down to 1st gear and then slowly back up to 4th gear, now look at the rear hub near the chain and you will see a small, clear plastic window on the hub (it may be covered in oil or dirt). Inside that window there are two yellow lines that should line up exactly in 4th gear, if they are off, then the shifting cable has stretched a little and needs adjustment.

Here's a great video on how to adjust the Shimano hub. I found that I needed to adjust mine a few times during the first few weeks and then everything settled in and I haven't needed to adjust it since.

If the chain or shifter required adjustment, then take the bike for a ride. If the noise persist then I'd check a few bolts. Get an 8mm Allen wrench and snug up the bolts that hold the crank arms on, I don't know the torque specifications, but a couple of firm grunts ought to do it. Next grab a T-30 torx bit and make sure the three bolts that hold the motor/crank assemble to the frame are tight.

If you are still experiencing any noise, then I'd take it to the bike store where you bought it and let the technicians have at it.

Thanks for that. Yeah I've got an Alfine 8 on my Troll and the yellow alignment marks are the same. I did check them and they're good. I'm wondering if it's in the drive from motor to crank... Seems really intermittent. One of those annoying ones that probably wouldn't show up at the shop lol.
As for 'servicing', what will a shop do that I haven't done myself? (ie. chain tension, great value tension, brake pad wear check, lube...) Do they have a look in the motor - check the grease? I ask because in the app it has a distance since service, which currently is the same as total distance traveled... Obviously they can reset that distance...

Hi there, I have a 2021 Transend E+, in our New Zealand market spec’d with a 500w battery, I‘m getting around 110km from a charge. Super comfortabl, good handling. I’ve made a few small changes, running SPD pedals, have shorten brake a gear cables up, removed all but 1 handle bar stem spacer, I have also replaced the standard 18t rear sprocket with a 21t, which has made all 7 gears usable under assistance, the top gear as standard is so high it is effectively unusable. I have it set in the automatic power assistance mode which I find excellent. Don’t hesitate to buy!
110km from a charge is a lot! I'm only managing about half that. But then, I climb a large hill every day. I find the gear range just about perfect. On the flat I cruise at top speed 32kph all the time in 6th or 7th.
As well as mudguards and a front (Surly 24pack) rack I changed out the handlebars for an On-One Mary bar I had lying around. More comfortable hand position.

Thanks for that. Yeah I've got an Alfine 8 on my Troll and the yellow alignment marks are the same. I did check them and they're good. I'm wondering if it's in the drive from motor to crank... Seems really intermittent. One of those annoying ones that probably wouldn't show up at the shop lol.
I get a reasonably loud crack sometimes from the drive train. It happens each time I use gear 5, usually a minute or so after I've changed into that gear, and it won't happen again until I change to a different gear and back into 5. The sound is reminiscent of a derailer jumping gears under load.

I'm pretty sure it's coming from the internally geared hub, but I haven't got around to opening it up for a look yet. The tension adjustment is correct in gear 4. I'm not changing gears under load, and when it makes the crack sound the cadence doesn't change at all so I'm certain the IGH isn't actually changing gears.

110km from a charge is a lot! I'm only managing about half that. But then, I climb a large hill every day. I find the gear range just about perfect. On the flat I cruise at top speed 32kph all the time in 6th or 7th.
Yeah 110 km is a bit further than I get. Last week I did 66 km commuting to work in Hamilton before charging, and had 28% charge left at that point. In theory I'd get to about 90 km if I ran it to 0%.

I usually cruise in 6 and rarely use 7, with assist set to level 3. I find the auto assist quite inconsistent and ridiculously over powered.

Back