BULLS ICONIC EVO SPEED REVIEW

Law

First of all I’d like to say that I appreciate all members here and their input on this forum, as it has allowed me to become much more educated regarding electric bikes and the advancements going forward in recent years. This is my first E bike, And I feel fortunate coming into this late in the game as the advancements that are now available are very different for me even 2 years ago.

I want to be clear that I have only ridden two electric bikes prior to this Bulls bike, a Cannondale topstone and a Trek 7.

I opted for the 54, after seeing the previous generation 44 and it looked small to me. That being said, once I got the 54 it looked big at first, but the first ride was amazing . OK so here are my general impressions:

General impressions.

I drive German everything and appreciate the engineering on cars etc, and the Bulls overall here is well executed. Compared to the Trek and cannondale bikes more passive suspensions, this bike will conquer curbs, potholes etc like a champ. The big frame here is forgiving and the suspension is brilliant. I upped the front fork stiffness adjustment and will be adding more rear air, but overall very satisfied with the way this bike hovers over most terrain.

First 100 miles.

We all Recognize the Bosch system and I had the update performed and the bike rides brilliantly. I regularly ride at 20 to 25 mph and I have gotten up to 40 mph down hills. I wish the bike had one more long gear so I can go faster. Overall, this bike is Fast.

Overall, the motor is very quiet and I ride mostly on eco-unless I have a very severe incline. My rides duration have now doubled in time from my analog bike which I believe is so of a much better work out For me at 50. I find a delight in overcoming these guys with the very serious gear on regular bikes. Just being honest it’s a lot of fun passing. No data yet on range.

OK so two things that I really don’t like about the bike. The pedals are small and useless, and I immediately installed stamp 7 large pedals. I am 6ft 210pds. And the electric port cover is trash. It’s a very cheap piece of plastic that barely covers the port which if I was riding in the rain would be very concerned that water would get into the battery. I am quite sure they will fix this. Interestingly, RM has same problem.

Bulls does not currently have a rear rack extension that fits, I tried and it doesn’t work and will be sending it back. But I did buy a Ortlieb pannier grocery getter that fit very well on the rear and I have been traveling to Whole Foods twice or three times a week for a wine and food re-supply.

So in conclusion, I am very, very happy with this bike during this most distressing time, as it has provided me an amazing alternative to going to the gym and it has been a fantastic distraction from the inverted reality that I see on TV every day. I look forward to exploring more areas where I live and plan on traveling with this bike as well.

Hope this helps anyone looking at this bike and feel free to ask any questions.

Attachments

• 72591185-6479-441F-B637-7B2DE33B175B.jpeg
    72591185-6479-441F-B637-7B2DE33B175B.jpeg
    637.3 KB · Views: 731
  • 781A6878-DF50-4169-906A-281870CC222B.jpeg
    781A6878-DF50-4169-906A-281870CC222B.jpeg
    351.2 KB · Views: 690
That's a sweet bike Law - it really seems to pack a punch, hitting most of the key qualities in an ebike that I'm after. I agree that the rack issue is perplexing, and I've no real ideal why they would not have addressed it. For my self, it also comes down to heavy and powerful, being able to handle the pot holes and the rocks when they come, or light and more nimble, with the resulting vibration and uncomfortableness and pain that may come with it.

Give us some additional feedback after a long ride or five. Do you feel the need to pedal or use it as an electric bike. Do you find you get as much exercise.

I'm in the market, and have my short list down to about 20 bikes, though I'll be pairing it down to between 3 - 5 and then taking some for a test ride.

It feels more about what factors or components or aspects lead to me eliminate bikes from this list at the moment. It feels ridiculous to eliminate this bike as an option because of a lack of a rack extension and yet a helpful and sturdy rack - that you can fill up on all occasions is ultimately important. Have you contacted them to ask them what their intention is. I could swear I watched a review that indicated there was such a rack extension. You've asked the company have you?

Stuart

20 bikes! ha.

There are really only three that are in the same full suspension class and that’s the Mueller and the mustache bike. That’s how I narrowed it down.

I’ve been flying around Atlanta with the 54 cm bike and again I am so impressed and look forward to riding it each and every time over every pothole curb possible.

I’ve said it before I’ll say it again go with the biggest frame you can I love the big handlebars on this bike and the noise is very quiet with this frame and I can fly around to places I’ve never been before.

I bought a Ortlieb Pannier Grocery getter. And I go to a whole foods three times a week and don’t use my car anymore. It clicks right on the non tranny side. In retrospect, I was looking for a top bag or top rack bag and that’s not what you want.

Well, there is supposed to be an accessory attachment that allows a top bag on the back, but I have never seen it. How do you find the fenders - to they vibrate. That was one complaint on the other thread.

It's good to hear you like it, I'm still in the - nimble bike or heavier bike, or something in between. And while I'd like a full suspension - or I think my body would, I'm not precisely sure it is necessary, if for instance, one of those connect seat posts is used. I am also looking at the Watt Wagon' super commuter - which also has fatter tires, as I recall, but not full suspension. A little less weight, but not as light as the specialized. But the Specialized has narrower tires, and I tend to blow tires like a 1 year old popping balloons.

The Frey CC is full suspension is it not. I am not interested in that purchase, but admittedly, a nicely designed bike.

Stuart

Again if I’m grocery shopping which I do a lot with bottles of wine LOL a top bag in the top rack and the weight does not work. I got the top rack and they are in the middle of re-organizing the part itself, but the pannier is the answer because It keeps weight low.

The fenders are aluminum and there are no noise whatsoever from them, the bike is very quiet as I said before go ride one man and make a decision as they are actually out there in the wild

that is good to hear, as the other reviewer had an issue. I love this bike and it is in the top three for me at this time. thanks for your input.

S.

So I really wanted to travel with his bike and I’ve had a really hard time finding a rack that would hold it on my sedan with a 1 1/4 inch hitch.

The only one that I could find was a Saris freedom rack and they offer the xlong wheelbase as an option which is the only way I could carry this bike as the wheelbase is 52 inches.

Going to Rosemary beach First week of November and Hilton head and Savannah for GT track driving @ roehbling road 2nd week.

There are two things I’ve learned and that is that the 1 1/4 inch hitches are wobbly and you need to get a bolt/lock to tighten it down. Second, I think I’m going to take this bike everywhere I go it’s just so much fun.

That's a sweet bike Law - it really seems to pack a punch, hitting most of the key qualities in an ebike that I'm after. I agree that the rack issue is perplexing, and I've no real ideal why they would not have addressed it. For my self, it also comes down to heavy and powerful, being able to handle the pot holes and the rocks when they come, or light and more nimble, with the resulting vibration and uncomfortableness and pain that may come with it.

Give us some additional feedback after a long ride or five. Do you feel the need to pedal or use it as an electric bike. Do you find you get as much exercise.

I'm in the market, and have my short list down to about 20 bikes, though I'll be pairing it down to between 3 - 5 and then taking some for a test ride.

It feels more about what factors or components or aspects lead to me eliminate bikes from this list at the moment. It feels ridiculous to eliminate this bike as an option because of a lack of a rack extension and yet a helpful and sturdy rack - that you can fill up on all occasions is ultimately important. Have you contacted them to ask them what their intention is. I could swear I watched a review that indicated there was such a rack extension. You've asked the company have you?

Stuart
Sorry this took so long. But I have been riding this bike for a couple of months And wanted to give impressions.
bike frame is big for me @54cm, but in a good way. At this frame size, wheels are proportional IMO.
I ride 4 times a week at around 15-20m, and battery lasts all week and more. Full Suspension is great on all surfaces. Avg speed is above 20 mph and I try to get to that 28 mph as often as possible in Eco. Touring mode Is great up large hills. Sport and turbo are for when you want some laughs.

Mods I made were specialized tail light, and bontrager front flashing light. Everywhere I go people comment on bike. I try to turn off all lights but it attracts attention.

Good riding to all of you....

First of all I’d like to say that I appreciate all members here and their input on this forum, as it has allowed me to become much more educated regarding electric bikes and the advancements going forward in recent years. This is my first E bike, And I feel fortunate coming into this late in the game as the advancements that are now available are very different for me even 2 years ago.

I want to be clear that I have only ridden two electric bikes prior to this Bulls bike, a Cannondale topstone and a Trek 7.

I opted for the 54, after seeing the previous generation 44 and it looked small to me. That being said, once I got the 54 it looked big at first, but the first ride was amazing . OK so here are my general impressions:

General impressions.

I drive German everything and appreciate the engineering on cars etc, and the Bulls overall here is well executed. Compared to the Trek and cannondale bikes more passive suspensions, this bike will conquer curbs, potholes etc like a champ. The big frame here is forgiving and the suspension is brilliant. I upped the front fork stiffness adjustment and will be adding more rear air, but overall very satisfied with the way this bike hovers over most terrain.

First 100 miles.

We all Recognize the Bosch system and I had the update performed and the bike rides brilliantly. I regularly ride at 20 to 25 mph and I have gotten up to 40 mph down hills. I wish the bike had one more long gear so I can go faster. Overall, this bike is Fast.

Overall, the motor is very quiet and I ride mostly on eco-unless I have a very severe incline. My rides duration have now doubled in time from my analog bike which I believe is so of a much better work out For me at 50. I find a delight in overcoming these guys with the very serious gear on regular bikes. Just being honest it’s a lot of fun passing. No data yet on range.

OK so two things that I really don’t like about the bike. The pedals are small and useless, and I immediately installed stamp 7 large pedals. I am 6ft 210pds. And the electric port cover is trash. It’s a very cheap piece of plastic that barely covers the port which if I was riding in the rain would be very concerned that water would get into the battery. I am quite sure they will fix this. Interestingly, RM has same problem.

Bulls does not currently have a rear rack extension that fits, I tried and it doesn’t work and will be sending it back. But I did buy a Ortlieb pannier grocery getter that fit very well on the rear and I have been traveling to Whole Foods twice or three times a week for a wine and food re-supply.

So in conclusion, I am very, very happy with this bike during this most distressing time, as it has provided me an amazing alternative to going to the gym and it has been a fantastic distraction from the inverted reality that I see on TV every day. I look forward to exploring more areas where I live and plan on traveling with this bike as well.

Hope this helps anyone looking at this bike and feel free to ask any questions.

Law, Is the Bulls still rock solid? Question from someone who has never ridden a mid-drive:
If you are at a stop light dead stop, do you have to start out in one of the lower gears or can you get off the line quickly with PAS?and lets say 7th gear?

Law, Is the Bulls still rock solid? Question from someone who has never ridden a mid-drive:
If you are at a stop light dead stop, do you have to start out in one of the lower gears or can you get off the line quickly with PAS?and lets say 7th gear?
You treat it loke a normal bike shift now. starting in a small cog means you cant peddle efficiently and you waste energy.

You treat it loke a normal bike shift now. starting in a small cog means you cant peddle efficiently and you waste energy.
Im not sure what a normal bike shift is foof. Im used to givin the throttle a little tap and adjusting from there depending upon where I am...

Im not sure what a normal bike shift is foof. Im used to givin the throttle a little tap and adjusting from there depending upon where I am...
With a regular bike you shift to the larger chainrings when coming to a stop or a hill. This will get you off the start line far faster then a throttle.

So excuse my ignorance, but you are referring to downshifting? From a dead stop?
yes downshifting but not from a stop you have to be peddling to shift. when you close to your stop peddle lighting to shift down to the largest cog. then as you go you upshift to keep your peddling rate constant. thats the whole idea about gears on a bike to be able to peddle steady over different terrane.

yes downshifting but not from a stop you have to be peddling to shift. when you close to your stop peddle lighting to shift down to the largest cog. then as you go you upshift to keep your peddling rate constant. thats the whole idea about gears on a bike to be able to peddle steady over different terrane.
Way outa my league. I pull up to the stoplight in 7th or 8th gear. (2 highest) Full stop. Light turns green, quick push of the throttle and my right leg engages the pedal. Within a few strokes of the pedals I am doing 20 mph comfortably in PAS 3...

well if you use a throttle your just eating up your battery plus your not exercising. if thats what you what its Fine but it is inefficient and you don't use get much exercise.

well if you use a throttle your just eating up your battery plus your not exercising. if thats what you what its Fine but it is inefficient and you don't use get much exercise.
I hear ya Foof. I originally bought the ebikes for exercise. Then I changed it to I bought to tour our village and get out of the house due to The Covid and as far as battery- I haven't come close to running either of them low on my daily treks. I am an Ebike wannabe!

Yes it is for sure. I caught up to and passed what had to be a semi pro today riding a carbon bike he was laughing. I could only really gain on him on hills but on the flats he was right on my ass especially around corners. We had a lot of fun.

I don’t know about seventh gear but maybe fifth? So easy to get to 25 mph. Most cars get confused as to how fast I get to speed they don’t pass.

The only thing I would change with the bike is the front forks wish they had the fox float Forks which I will change next year.

Back