Upcoming FLX Weapon

onlineaddy

Region
USA
City
San Diego, CA, USA
In the design phase (i.e. CAD drawings), FLX is planning a full-suspension carbon fiber e-mountain bike using the Brose S Mag motor (a departure for them) and top-end components like FOX, SRAM, and Magura:

FLX Weapon

It will most likely be launched on Indiegogo when ready. Wonder if it's gonna be any good...🤞

This is surprising. It is interesting to see (I believe) the largest seller of the Bafang M600 in the US go another direction with a new bike. Seems to me a vote of confidence away from the Bafang M600 given the substandard torque sensing, lack of programmability (canbus protocol), and noise of the motor. I think Watt Wagons hopes to address some of these issues with an aftermarket controller when they offer the M600. I heard Luna plans to move away from Bafang due to the move to canbus protocol for the Ultra.

I heard Luna plans to move away from Bafang due to the move to canbus protocol for the Ultra.
Interesting, Where did you read that Luna is moving away from BAFANG ? That’s news to me, I mean that’s pretty big news.
I think it just might be that Watt Wagons stole their thunder, and brought more innovation and ability to program than anyone else. Happens.

I am surprised that FLX is moving away from m600. I’m sure they are by far the largest seller of the m600 in the US.

I'm not sure FLX is ditching the M600. The FLX trail is their biggest seller (ignoring the babymaker). I am just surprised to see them not go with the M600 on a FS eMTB given how much they are invested in the M600. I think it's a good call on their part. Maybe they wanted to provide something for the European market as well.

As far as Luna moving away from Bafang, I had emailed Eric about the M600 tuning on my Luna X1 looking for more specifics on what they did and he mentioned they planned to move away from Bafang due to lack of user programming. Not sure if he was just frustrated that Bafang was switching to canbus for the Ultra, but I had heard Luna was looking to develop their own motor so perhaps that is part of it.

I'm not sure FLX is ditching the M600. The FLX trail is their biggest seller (ignoring the babymaker). I am just surprised to see them not go with the M600 on a FS eMTB given how much they are invested in the M600. I think it's a good call on their part.

As far as Luna moving away from Bafang, I had emailed Eric about the M600 tuning on my Luna X1 looking for more specifics on what they did and he mentioned in the email they planned to move away from Bafang due to lack of user programming. Not sure if he was just frustrated that Bafang was switching to canbus for the Ultra, but I had heard they were developing their own motor so perhaps that is part of it.
Doesn’t Luna do programming for suuron? They even sell the rebadged golden motor for Surron. That’s the easiest thing to do if I were Luna. Raw performance with a fairly reasonable controller from ASI. I don’t believe it is super hard to program Golden Motor. The stock stuff is pretty great.

I recently watched a YouTube video where Eric from Luna said they had looked into building their own motor and he laughed at how badly that went. He said they'd never do that. Obviously, times change but I've read in these forums that they are Bafang's top USA reseller and they work directly with Bafang to make modified versions they have exclusivity on. So if anything, I'd see them requesting a certain style or capability from Bafang and then reselling that to maintain their relationship and the market position they fought so hard to establish.

FLX is still new - albeit phenomenal at marketing and quite intelligent in their design and approach. Perhaps their relationship with Bafang or warranty support numbers have some challenge we don't know about. Or, they simply want to go after the branded name bikes that use Brose simply for future exit strategy options.

To me it's a hard pass but the Euro market may like it. To me, their bikes lose all specialization. They lose the "hot rod" value like when the Ford Mustang went through their late 70's neutering phase.

The one thing all the cheap(er) carbon frame eMTB's have in common is that they don't subscribe to "modern geometry" as it stands today. What has made the Levo and other big manufacturer bikes for the most part shine is that they use the most current suspension designs based on slackish ht angles and steeper st angles and other bits that they are able to clone with some nods to the higher weight and stress of e from their pedal line of bikes that have attained a good following over the years.

While the Brose Mag S is highly rated it also has a seemingly high failure rate that a Specialized dealer will just swap out for you under warranty. Hopefully they have solved all the issues when this bike comes out next year but FLX does not have the same kind of after sale support of the shop brands.

No doubt the bike will or should very well come in at a low price but still I bet it has to be 4K or more with that level of componentry. I would say that companies like FLX should stick with providing bikes that the big manufacturers don't seem to care about.

I signed up to keep track of the bikes progress but am not one of their potential customers.

I just confirmed with FLX that they will be using the Bafang M600. Their info page still shows Brose, so that's a little odd. Obviously, they changed their minds. This should keep the price a bit lower.

I'm still very interested. There's no specific release date yet, but they said they estimate it will be April or May, 2021.

Last edited:
Been getting notices that the Weapon is finally going to launch on Indiegogo here this fall and they are up to their usual marketing hype video with little actual info on the substance. As mentioned above they are using a Bafang M series motor but a bit unclear if it is the M600 or M510? The frame looks very similar to the E05 trunnion mount style frame that DengFu, Light Carbon and others on AliBaba have been putting out for awhile. If it has to go through Igogo then at best bikes won't show till spring of '23? Only a few years off their original estimate but you know Covid.....

I don't really see anything too exciting and without any price, which they say will be revealed at launch but if you send them $97 now you will get one for $2500 off retail. They have had good success going the crowd source funding in the past as per their single speed so who knows? But what I said above still stands that it doesn't look to me like they have followed the modern geo format and that is too bad.

Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 1.45.28 PM.png

There’s another pic if you go to the ‘coming soon’ link instead of ‘the Weapon’ page.
I think JRA’s right - looks like a Dengfu E05 frame.
$2500 off ‘retail’ just means it’ll likely claim ‘retail’ of <too much> like the Biktrix Monte Capro (WAY high) and Monte Capro Lite (better, but not competitive with Luna X2). Curious to see the final specs/components and pricing, but not seeing much ‘new’ here honestly.
Having said that, I reached out some time ago to FLX looking for an obscure/tough to find M600 part, and got a competent, real response (but sadly, Out of Stock). I think their Marketing just is a bit over the top for me, although the bikes may be solid (if potentially overpriced).

02FFFD70-D03E-4DE4-B785-33156E3B8C18.jpeg

Overall the Weapon is a really good deal. Being that they are offering a lower cost version of more expensive ebikes, I cannot understand why they would put an ugly paint scheme that really separates it? It's like they want to make sure the Weapon looks cheap compared to their 3x more expensive alternatives. C'mon guys...at least make it *look* like a $6K ebike.

The Marketing Dept there gets an "A" but the Product Dept gets a "D". I would like to hang with my Specialized friends without looking like their friend whose parents cheaped out on a Huffy at Xmas.

Overall the Weapon is a really good deal. Being that they are offering a lower cost version of more expensive ebikes, [snip] ...at least make it *look* like a $6K ebike.
LMAO on the Huffy comment, but on the above - based on what assumed price?
If they come in at $6K, why would anyone take an E05 frame vs the Luna X2 at $4100, or the Monte Capro Lite at $4400?
'Really good deal' needs final specs and pricing, but there's the immediate comparison for many, IMO.

The Weapon goes live on Indiegogo on Monday am so all the specs will be public soon. If you look closer the frame is different than the Dengfu - custom design see below. Huffy is a bit harsh no? ha.

Word is there's a new Bafang motor coming out that's the same size as M600 with more power. The Weapon X will use that... bigger motor bigger battery with a throttle option - and looks way better than the others in that range.

5d6f53db907850c1263d4da91732668.jpeg
weapon frame test.jpeg

Word is there's a new Bafang motor coming out that's the same size as M600 with more power.
That would be interesting. They did this with the M500 -> M510 so wouldn't be entirely surprising, but haven't heard about it. Curious as to actual changes if there's a new M600 variant, and if it uses the same mounts as existing M600. TBD on actual difference, including e.g. compared to Luna Ludi/VESC controlled M600, but will be interested in hearing more on the motor at least.

Back