36 volt vs 48 volt electric bike batteries

I ride 48 Volt, PAS level ONE, no throttle all the time - Going for distance, I'm pretty sure I'm getting the riding experience alluded to in the OP, but I also understand nostalgia and old school POVs.

With this platform, heavy assisted bikes, I'm enjoying night rides with good lighting systems, cool fresh air, stars, no sunblock, long dark roads with few cars - this is when it gets mystical for me.

great thread!

with the bafeng BBS02, it now has 9 programmable PAS levels. so if you get either a 48V 500 or 48V 750, if you program the lower 2-3 PAS levels for minimum Amperage draw from the battery ( say 5%, 10%, 15%) and the remaining PAS levels higher, would this work to achieve getting a good riding experience at the low levels with just a little assistance, but when you need more assistance for whatever reason you can go to a higher PAS level programmed to give you more. Does this make sense? or things just don't work like this? or does this motor ( or any motor for that matter) have a sweet spot where it likes to run at a certain level so your RPMs aren't too low ( kind of like riding in 3rd gear in a manual transmission when you should downshift)?

I have been waffling between the decision to get a 36V/350 or 500 , or a 48V /500/750 to put on a cargo bike.

Waffles, yum.. while I can't really help you choose a proper mid-drive (no experience) I did cut my throttle off today and installed a pair of ergon grips. I would consider range (amp hours) more than volts, 36 or 48 does not seem to make a huge difference in my limited experience. Good luck, now to make some late night waffles. -S

Hi, I have owned an Ezee Forza dual battery bike over the past 4 years and have covered over 3100 miles and still using the same battery packs which are main 36v 14ah and rack battery being 36v 8.5ah. This bike will travel easily at 23mph along most flat and slight hills with easily pedalling. The range of the bike has fallen off from around 45mls when new to around 30mls currently which is fine for my needs and I always charge after each journey no matter how small, never run batteries down to their limit.
Would just like someone in the know to recommend if or not I can use 48v battery for an upgrade come the end of life for my current battery packs, plus if its possible to upgrade the actual spec of amphour (ah) needed to give me at least similar speed and miles able to cover. The bike is an early 2010 model of which I read of the net that Ezee re specced the bike to run on either 36v or 48v around this time ?
Any help appreciated to help me make a decision, I understand volts amps and power but not exactly how this equates to use on an ebike. Not too bothered about increasing speed just would like to buy one battery rather than two off 36v but obtain similar running conditions. The current 2 x 36v batteries cost around £800 from Ezee and I can get a 48v 20ah off Ebay for around £500 which will fit on my rear rack with a few mods. Thanks in anticipation of any useful help with this.

nicely written. Thank You. I quite enjoyed it. Mind if I ask how much do you weigh ? :) lol you don't have to answer that but I think that a 36v battery makes more sense for a 170lb person vs a 240lb person.

I'm 6' 240lbs and I think I need a 48v for a 30 mile round trip commute.

I know this is old, but I'm 230 and none of my 3 36v bikes/trike would have any problem with a 30 mile ride, even full out I think. I never run full out but on my only 30 mile rides I used less than 1/2 the battery. St1, Haibike, Falco on trike. I'm always peddling and I'm strong and in decent shape (but could be a lot better ;)

A 57 pound E-bike, the EG Zurich has carried me and self-support supplies with a combined carry weight of about 240+/-, more than 50 miles with power still in reserve. The 350 watt front hub motor with a 36 volt 12 Ah battery on the EG Zurich can power the bike 50 + miles, at an average speed of 14+/_ mph, on relatively level terrain -and still have battery energy left in reserve. The effort is accomplished with judicial use of the the power assist levels.
->the route: https://connect.garmin.com/activity/546784605
http://www.bikejournal.com/blog.asp?rname=bikerjohn&cdate=7/21/2014

Last edited:
That fantastic range! Having relatively flat terrain makes all the difference. I can get about 30 - 35 mi with my 36v 12ah battery if I stay in the lower levels of assist. Higher levels of assist + terrain that ranges from 1% to 6% grades I get less than 30 mi.

I'm struck by two things. The original thoughts of the OP were almost poetic. And in the last 18 months, everything has changed.

That fantastic range! Having relatively flat terrain makes all the difference. I can get about 30 - 35 mi with my 36v 12ah battery if I stay in the lower levels of assist. Higher levels of assist + terrain that ranges from 1% to 6% grades I get less than 30 mi.
It really is no magical feat. The more pedal effort input, the less battery drain. On a typical work commute I tend to rely on more battery power and find the battery power level down 75-80% in an 18-20 mile distance.

Last edited:
36V is plenty for a single.....want more torque, use a mid-drive. Very good post!

My Stromer rear direct drive hub is noticeably stronger (more torque) than my Bosch mid drive.
"Blanket statements", do NOT apply in all situations.

I'm noticing in the threads that many riders are going straight for the 48v bikes. It drives me crazy. Obviously, there's nothing wrong with choosing a 48v bike, but you're doing yourself a disservice by not considering a 36v.

Granted, I'm a little biased on this one. I was a bicycle commuter for 6 years before I got my ebike. I had a 10 mile round trip through the streets of China to get to my workplace. It was a 20-30 mile round trip if I felt like taking the scenic routes along a coastal road. The scenic route was one of the most beautiful rides I've ever seen (see attached picture to get an idea). Don't get me wrong. I'm not a hardcore cyclist. You wouldn't want to see me in lycra. Let's leave it at that. Moving to a different country made me a cyclist out of necessity and that necessity quickly became a passion. Bicycle commuting contributed my physical health, mental health, my sense of exploration and my sense of community.

China's infrastructure made cycling easy. Cycling lanes were commonplace and the drivers were more aware of bikes on the road. Ebikes were everywhere (30 million sold a year). They were ugly and they were cheap, but they were a perfect vehicle for low or middle-class workers to get to work. They quickly became pace-setters for my rides. Everywhere I went, I felt like I was racing a mid-forties Chinese woman on the hot pink, plastic, lead acid ebike. I usually won, unless they pedaled with assistance. Then those ladies could give Armstrong a run for his money. I rarely saw that though. Most ebike commuters in China turn the throttle and take it easy. They purchased ebikes for their utility and efficiency. Not for the joy of riding them.

When I moved back, I tried to continue commuting via bicycle and ran into some problems. Our cycling infrastructure and culture isn't as good as I was used to. American drivers lacked an awareness of cyclists and there weren't any bicycle lanes. Commuting by bicycle, my favorite thing in the world, had become stressful. I knew upgrading to an ebike would remedy my immediate problems. If I could hit a higher speed off the line, drivers would be more aware of me and less frustrated. A good battery would assist in the longer commutes typical to America. However, my time in China made me wary of ebikes. I didn’t want to become the “ebike drone” that I had seen on every block of every city of China. I’m a cyclist, damn it. I love my bike.

Still, I bit the bullet and bought an ebike.

This is the difference between a Chinese ebike and an American ebike: ours are built for the joy of riding. Well, ours are also about a thousand dollars more expensive, but that’s beside the point. All of the things that I loved about my daily commute in China, I’ve rediscovered with my electric bike in America. I’m exploring my community, meeting people, staying in shape and getting the additional rush of riding faster and farther than ever.

Having gotten back into my groove, I’ve decided I like a 36v ride more than a 48v ride. Barring torque sensors or 48v configurations that are intended to increase range (like Bionx kits), I feel like 48v ebikes accelerate too quickly to retain the qualities of a bicycle. I’m not saying they aren’t fun. They’re great fun. I’m simply saying they quickly take the rider out of the equation. The intrinsic joy that I get from riding a bicycle doesn’t commute these bad boys.

I want my pedaling to contribute to my cycling experience. I want to get a work out. I want to sweat a little (but not a lot). While hitting warp speed at the twist of the throttle is great fun, it’s not really like riding a bicycle. The discrepancy between pedaling and throttling is too large. I would eventually rely too much on the throttle and become a “drone”. With a 36v ebike, I can find that nice balance between motor and muscle. No distance is too far. No hill is too steep, but I’m still finding that joy of riding a bike.

It’s like comparing a stick shift to an automatic. One’s about getting to a destination, while the other is about enjoying the drive there. Actually, I think this analogy draws a larger correlation between European and American mindsets with ebikes. While a 25 km/hr limit is silly, I find the nuance in European design far more attractive than what we’re getting here. They’re building ebikes for a bicycle culture. We’re building ebikes for a fast food culture. Just because we can build a 48v 750w monster on two wheels with a throttle, does it mean we have the better bicycle? I’m all for American muscle, but most European motorists can look at a 67’ Ford Mustang and call it a driver’s car. Would a 48v throttle bike garner the same respect in European bicycle culture?

There are other advantages to buying 36v. For most brands you’re saving $400 by going 36v. Or you could spend $200 less and get a 15 amp hr battery and have better range. While 48v bikes do pull the hardest, 36v configurations can still offer lots of power. Trying a BH NEO or an E3 Zuma will quickly attest to that. But once you’ve set aside concerns about power, you’ll discover some true gems that offer great value and engaging rides, like the little known e-Joe Anggun.

In a year of working with ebikes, I’ve discovered that everyone has a different opinion no matter how obvious a choice may seem to me. Any bike that gets someone out of a car is a good thing. Every ebike offers a fun experience to its owner. It’s simply up to you to decide what kind of experience you want. Before settling on the biggest, baddest option available, give the little guy a try. He might just impress you.

As for my next purchase, it’s going to a 48v cargo bike for my wife. She needs something to get her from point A to point B.

-Chandlee

View attachment 128
Chandlee,

After 1.5 years since that excellent piece, what is your take on 48V systems? Are all power monsters? Many are PAS systems. Is it nice to have the power "in reserve" in case it is needed? or is it really never needed?

Any update on your thoughts?

I don't mind 36v. Seems capable. I'm not riding a speed pedelec though. What I do want is more battery (higher Ah) for increased range on one charge. That's my holy grail.

Hi,

I am not really concerned with the European mindset, as I think many Europeans don't have to travel as far from home, in their daily activities, as we Americans.

Regardless, how far were/are you able to travel on a charge, using a 36v?
If I understand your message, you primarily used the 36v for commuting?

I am fortunate, here in my city, Madison, and my state, WI, we have many very low grade, good bike trails. Can you translate your current use with mine?
And, if you don't mind, what is your size and wt?

After all that you said, why is your wife buying a 48v, just to go from A to B? Is it a long distance.

Sorry about the length & # of questions, your post is relevant to my situation.

Thanks!
Irene

Chandlee,

After 1.5 years since that excellent piece, what is your take on 48V systems? Are all power monsters? Many are PAS systems. Is it nice to have the power "in reserve" in case it is needed? or is it really never needed?

Any update on your thoughts?

What it "seems" like from what I read everywhere: 48V is like a bigger engine in a car. Like the V6 option instead of the 4 cyl.
More power to use if you want it and it will go faster, but you will use a given amount of battery faster than would a 36v under the same conditions. Is that correct???

The 48v vs 36v view you have is interesting. However with adjustment to the programming of most the 48/52v machines you can get it to boost you a little instead of rocket off.

Like you , I just want a little boost, many of the stock setups on 52v give too much boost to comfortably pedal.

Back