35+mi all electric

MishaMisha

Hey guys!!!;) Misha here new to the forum, thanks in advance for all the wisdom!!!;)

Right now I have swagtron eb-6: 350W rear hub 8.4aH 20" tires mountain bike. I like this bike but might be returning it because the all electric range is about 8 miles for me.

Key things I need in a bike:

-reliable
-very strongly prefer fat tire, as the roads in Berkeley CA SUCK!!!;)--if you feel suspension is more important for pot holes and crappy roads then fat tires, lemme know;)
-under $3k, used or new don't care:)
-under 100 pounds
-sits low, I am 5'5" with a 28-29" inseam, that's why I liked the little 20" tire bike above:)--would like to touch BOTH toes to ground
-goes at least 35 miles on all electric on one charge for me, I am 160lbs+10 pound backpack= 170lbs, used 95% for commuting to work which is 90% flat and 10% moderate hills.

My wife is 5' 2" with a 28" inseam. She has no trouble touching the ground with both feet on her 26" Pedego Interceptor. She could even adjust the seat hight 2" lower if it were necessary. Don't be afraid to try a bike with 26" tires.

I do recommend some suspension. Just a suspension seat post will help. Front fork suspension is nice but shouldn't be a deal breaker if you find a bike you like without it. Fat tire bikes do ride better but can diminish performance and range a bit.

Most e-bikes are under 100 lbs. Look at models with 10AH or better batteries for better range. My wife gets 21 all electric miles on her 500W rear hub Pedego with 15AH battery. This is on a level paved surface keeping the speed to 12 mph or less. IMO, 35 all electric miles will be a stretch with most e-bikes on the market.

The Pedego is closer to $4k and may be out of your price range but there are many cheaper, similarly equipped bikes out there.

My advice is to take a shopping trip. Visit several bike shops. Talk to the knowledgeable folks there and test ride as many bikes as you can.

My wife's 26 inch Pedego City Commuter cost $3K and checks all your boxes. She's also 5'5" and has no problem putting her feet on the ground at stoplights. It doesn't have what I'd call fat tires, but the Schwalbe Fat Franks that came in it are pretty cushy. Plenty of range; she's never drained the battery so I don't know max range, but we've done 30+ mile rides. Great customer service, too.

Hey guys!!!;) Misha here new to the forum, thanks in advance for all the wisdom!!!;)

Right now I have swagtron eb-6: 350W rear hub 8.4aH 20" tires mountain bike. I like this bike but might be returning it because the all electric range is about 8 miles for me.

Key things I need in a bike:

-reliable
-very strongly prefer fat tire, as the roads in Berkeley CA SUCK!!!;)--if you feel suspension is more important for pot holes and crappy roads then fat tires, lemme know;)
-under $3k, used or new don't care:)
-under 100 pounds
-sits low, I am 5'5" with a 28-29" inseam, that's why I liked the little 20" tire bike above:)--would like to touch BOTH toes to ground
-goes at least 35 miles on all electric on one charge for me, I am 160lbs+10 pound backpack= 170lbs, used 95% for commuting to work which is 90% flat and 10% moderate hills.

Checkout all the used bike deals in your area: https://newwheel.net/products/used-electric-bikes

I am 5'5", 30" inseam, 163lbs and like you, wanted to be able to at least get both sets of toes flat to the ground. I went with an Eprodigy Magic Pro 2999.00. The only complaint is that the stem is too long and even at its lowest point, I couldnt touch the ground. I ended up buying a suspension seatpost that fits better. I use my bike daily to commute to work. I really enjoy this bike and its been a comfortable bike. I typically ride in level 2 or 3 with the pedal assist and easily get 40+ miles on a single charge. Lastly, its a carbon belt drive and so it shifts smoothly for longer distances. https://www.eprodigybikes.com/products/2

Back