Enduro Cracked Frame - Twice!

chriscv

I purchased 2 Voltbike Enduros in July 2018 and have had a catastrophic frame failure on both. The first frame snap happened while going down a steep hill in the city on flat pavement. As the bike was less than a year old and still covered under warranty I drove it up to the Volbike office in Surrey to be replaced. I was told that this was a known issue with some of the Enduros as the frame was heated too high during the bend.

I have since started riding my wife's bike more frequently as I keep my other bike at another location and yesterday, had the same failure on flat pavement. I have attempted to contact Voltbike regarding this with both phone calls and emails however the phones are not answered, the mailbox is full and emails are not responded to.

I understand that Voltbike has a new version of the Enduro out but the frame looks the same and am skeptical that they have solved this issue. I also find it unacceptable that they have a known issue such as this which nearly caused a catastrophic accident for me twice (when this happens the pedals hit the pavement and the rear tire wobbles back and forth with no control) and have not issued a recall or for that matter, even answer their phones.

Has anyone else had this issue and if so, have they been able to contact Voltbike or have it repaired?

Attachments

• IMG_20200519_131343.jpg
    IMG_20200519_131343.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 1,628
Same frame snapped in a different location. https://electricbikereview.com/foru...0-miles-from-a-bike-newbie.13488/#post-120050

How tall are you? and what's your weight? I'm considering the 2020 version of the bike but the seat post is at an even steeper angle. I'm 6'1'' 210lbs so I worry I'll put too much force on the bend where yours broke.

I'm 5'11" 180lbs
This is the reply I received from Voltbike
"When the "frame seat tube" cracks, this is usually related to improper seat post insertion.
Probably this is not the case with you, but I just need to mention it. The new Enduro is using a slightly different frame and is reinforced at a few locations."

I do hope this is the case as I LOVED these bikes but ended up going a different route for replacement as this was an expensive fix on two bikes

I'm 5'11" 180lbs
This is the reply I received from Voltbike
"When the "frame seat tube" cracks, this is usually related to improper seat post insertion.
Probably this is not the case with you, but I just need to mention it. The new Enduro is using a slightly different frame and is reinforced at a few locations."

I do hope this is the case as I LOVED these bikes but ended up going a different route for replacement as this was an expensive fix on two bikes
I wouldn't want to ride that brand at speed on a single trail. Under warranty or not! That's both a manufacturing and engineering problem, snapping a round tube there.

I purchased 2 Voltbike Enduros in July 2018 and have had a catastrophic frame failure on both. The first frame snap happened while going down a steep hill in the city on flat pavement. As the bike was less than a year old and still covered under warranty I drove it up to the Volbike office in Surrey to be replaced. I was told that this was a known issue with some of the Enduros as the frame was heated too high during the bend.

I have since started riding my wife's bike more frequently as I keep my other bike at another location and yesterday, had the same failure on flat pavement. I have attempted to contact Voltbike regarding this with both phone calls and emails however the phones are not answered, the mailbox is full and emails are not responded to.

I understand that Voltbike has a new version of the Enduro out but the frame looks the same and am skeptical that they have solved this issue. I also find it unacceptable that they have a known issue such as this which nearly caused a catastrophic accident for me twice (when this happens the pedals hit the pavement and the rear tire wobbles back and forth with no control) and have not issued a recall or for that matter, even answer their phones.

Has anyone else had this issue and if so, have they been able to contact Voltbike or have it repaired?
Sorry to hear about this problem for you. I may be too late to reply, but just found your post. I have an Outback that came with a frame that has Enduro sticker on the cross bar. The frame has a gusset welded to it right where your frame broke. I realize that this is not an enduro frame as it does not have the crank mount motor, but, I think that it is the force on the rear suspension link that is breaking the frame at (just below) it's connection to the frame and not the rider seat post situation. Maybe it's a combination. In any case I have attached a photo of the gusset, which could be added to your frame by a competent aluminum welder, for your consideration.

Attachments

• IMG_20210312_103911.jpg
    IMG_20210312_103911.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 451
Sorry to hear about this problem for you. I may be too late to reply, but just found your post. I have an Outback that came with a frame that has Enduro sticker on the cross bar. The frame has a gusset welded to it right where your frame broke. I realize that this is not an enduro frame as it does not have the crank mount motor, but, I think that it is the force on the rear suspension link that is breaking the frame at (just below) it's connection to the frame and not the rider seat post situation. Maybe it's a combination. In any case I have attached a photo of the gusset, which could be added to your frame by a competent aluminum welder, for your consideration.
Thanks for the tip! I did find a place locally who was able to weld the crack. It's held for over a year now so seems to be a solid fix.

Thanks for the tip! I did find a place locally who was able to weld the crack. It's held for over a year now so seems to be a solid fix.
Excellent. It would be a shame not to have that bike to use. I really like mine. I think that Voltbike kind of dropped the ball on this problem. They are very fortunate to not be involved in a lawsuit over this.

My Enduro is less than 3 years old, and I only weigh 160. I had the exact same fracture, and the the cause was obvious. The inside of the seat tube was apparently reamed out after welding. The reamer went too deep and entered the curve, where the tube was shaved eggshell thin (facing forward). This can be easily seen because the fracture opened up more than 1/2". I called Voltbike and told them exactly why the frame failed. They told me the model was changed, and they do not stock the old frame. I emailed photos as requested, but they refused to provide any reply to follow up contacts. The problem here is that Voltbike does not stock key parts after a model change, so buying their bikes is very risky. Yes, the manufacturer is legally liable from any injury resulting from a defect, regardless of their limited warranty. You should report this to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, and hope for a nationwide recall.

Attachments

• DSC00525.JPG
    DSC00525.JPG
    249.7 KB · Views: 352
I had my 2018 Enduro frame just break in the same place as others this past week. Seat post was inserted correctly (I am 5'9").
I rode mine on a lot of gnarly, technical single track for 4 years. Not that many miles but probably far beyond what the Chinese made bike was intended for. The bike is just not up to the riding me and my buddies do. Not over the long haul.

Voltbike responded by giving me a very big discount on a new bike. Said they had a new manufacturer. But I ride places that I just can't trust a mediocre bike.
I have 2 Cannondales, both over 20 years old with tons of miles. No frame problems and if a frame broke, they are guaranteed for life. Just a different level of manufacturing and engineering with Cannondale. Our riding group has broken frames - a Schwinn the one time - decades old - and Schwinn replaced it no questions asked.

I replaced the Voltbike Enduro with a new Trek Powerfly full suspension emtb bike. Cost literally twice as much as the Voltbike, but you get what you pay for. Every component, every square inch of the Trek is just head and shoulders above the Voltbike. The bike is a dream. Instead of power numbers, it has eco, touring, emtb and turbo. Who doesn't want turbo?

For the money, the Voltbike held it's own and I loved it for 4 years. But there is no substitute for quality on technical singletrack rock trails. And it can't break on a downhill - bad things happen. It is just not made for that. I guess I should have known better.

Attached == happier days during a tea party with the Voltbike, my snapped frame, and my new happy.

Attachments

• 20220411_130450.jpg
    20220411_130450.jpg
    607.9 KB · Views: 239
  • 20220422_150051.jpg
    20220422_150051.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 238
  • 20220425_141851.jpg
    20220425_141851.jpg
    626 KB · Views: 250
Back