WTB Extra Battery Raleigh Redux IE, Tamland IE

Jeffr

Want to buy extra battery for 2018-2019 Tamland IE, also fits 2017-2019 Redux IE. Does NOT fit 2020 Redux IE.
I want an extra battery for longer rides.
I emailed Raleigh customer support and they no longer carry this battery, and they cannot source one for me.
If you have one I will buy it. Call/Text Jeff R 408-679-0479

Hey Jeff- first up, I don't have an extra battery for sale. You can skip the rest of this if you need to, but I'd really like to hear if you found a way to get an extra battery for a Tamland-e. Second item, aren't these fantastic bikes?? I'm pretty sure mine is a 2018-2019 as well. I did have rock shocks installed on the front fork. Long process, but my local bike shop made it happen. After over 4,000 miles on the bike, I think I could have gone with a cheaper front shock, ( that was about $1,000 extra for the rock shocks brand) but my bike is by far the most comfortable bike I have ever owned. I put Kinetxs (sp?) spring on the seat post. Magic carpet ride for sure! Full paniers on the back, but I don't care. The electric motor makes it all a breeze, and then I always have riding tights, extra jacket, extra shirt, sandwich, gloves, writing journal and pen, etc. Anyway, kinda jazzed to finally meet (or talk to) someone who owns one of these fantastic bikes. I've ridden all my life & this bike is by far my best yet. Cheers- Dave

Hey Jeff- first up, I don't have an extra battery for sale. You can skip the rest of this if you need to, but I'd really like to hear if you found a way to get an extra battery for a Tamland-e. Second item, aren't these fantastic bikes?? I'm pretty sure mine is a 2018-2019 as well. I did have rock shocks installed on the front fork. Long process, but my local bike shop made it happen. After over 4,000 miles on the bike, I think I could have gone with a cheaper front shock, ( that was about $1,000 extra for the rock shocks brand) but my bike is by far the most comfortable bike I have ever owned. I put Kinetxs (sp?) spring on the seat post. Magic carpet ride for sure! Full paniers on the back, but I don't care. The electric motor makes it all a breeze, and then I always have riding tights, extra jacket, extra shirt, sandwich, gloves, writing journal and pen, etc. Anyway, kinda jazzed to finally meet (or talk to) someone who owns one of these fantastic bikes. I've ridden all my life & this bike is by far my best yet. Cheers- Dave
I replied to your other post as well. Battery replacements are nowhere to be found. After 8000 miles about 500 cycles my battery was not holding anything close to a full charge so I had nothing to lose by opening it up and taking a look inside. It so happens that the circuit board is very clearly marked where the + and - terminals are. I soldered a length of 14G wire on them and ran the wire along the bottom of the battery case through a small cut out near the power switch, ending in an XT60 connector. With this arrangement I am able to run another 36v battery in parrallel. I bought a 36v17.5aH on Amazon for about $400 and drilled mounting holes along the down tube (bottom facing) where the new battery sits low center of gravity. Now I have 17.5aH on the aux batt and another 10ah (guessing - original was 14aH, but it has lost at least 30% of its capacity) which gives me a range somewhere near 80 miles using 50% turbo.
When your bike is out of warranty to opens up a world of possibilities!

Fantastic information! Thank you. So on the other reply I mentioned a Rails to Trails in Nor Cal. If you do ride a bit of dirt, check out the BIz Johnson Recreation Trail near Susanville Cal. About 25 miles one way. Goes right thru some RxR tunnels they made in the mountain. Hey if I'm ever in the Bay Area, or planning a trip there I'd love to see your set-up. I'm in Arroyo Grande near SLO. Keep riding!

After all the praise, mine is for sale. Purchased new January 2019, replaced Brose motor with BRAND NEW motor 254 miles ago (mileage changes since I am actively using it). I just ordered a TREK Domane +HP and need to make room. Tamland Size LARGE in EXCELLENT condition well maintained. 2 sets of wheels - original gravel wheels 650b with WTB 47mm tires, and super light carbon racing wheels 700c x 32 with Continental GP 5000 racing tires. ALSO INCLUDES SECOND BATTERY. You can see photos on local craigslist here: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/bik/d/san-jose-fast-bike-batteries-wheelsets/7315418352.html
Main battery charges to 41.7v (97%) and second battery charges to 41.4v (95%) - in other words batteries still have a lot of cycles left in them (they are generally considered at the end of their life when they charge to 80% of original capacity, 42V). Note that both wheels have brake rotors and cassettes - swap and ride. The carbon wheels alone cost over $1000 and the spare battery $850. Im asking $2800 for everything. I prefer local pick up due to the hassle of shipping Lithium batteries; I will ship but you pay shipping.

Hey Jeff! Hope you really enjoy your new Trek! Hey if it works out (to my advantage) and the person who buys your Tamland is trying to work down the price, isn't interested in the 2nd battery... any (very unlikely) scenario like that, let me know. Maybe we can work something out. I have put in a request at my bike shop to locate a 2nd batt. Owner says he is going to check Diamond Back because a hedge fund guru has advised Raleigh to get bought out by Diamond Back. They'll retain their name and all, but he's checking thru DB as the most current Tamland source. Best of luck on your sales. Someone is going to score a very good bike!

I replied to your other post as well. Battery replacements are nowhere to be found. After 8000 miles about 500 cycles my battery was not holding anything close to a full charge so I had nothing to lose by opening it up and taking a look inside. It so happens that the circuit board is very clearly marked where the + and - terminals are. I soldered a length of 14G wire on them and ran the wire along the bottom of the battery case through a small cut out near the power switch, ending in an XT60 connector. With this arrangement I am able to run another 36v battery in parrallel. I bought a 36v17.5aH on Amazon for about $400 and drilled mounting holes along the down tube (bottom facing) where the new battery sits low center of gravity. Now I have 17.5aH on the aux batt and another 10ah (guessing - original was 14aH, but it has lost at least 30% of its capacity) which gives me a range somewhere near 80 miles using 50% turbo.
Hey Jeff. I’m in a similar situation as you. i have a high mileage Brose powered ebike. Like you, I also have 2 batteries that are irreplaceable. This puts me in a situation where I would be willing to try running an aftermarket 36 volt battery in parallel like you did. My question is........did you see any negative effects on the motor when you did this? Did you put a lot of miles on your bike using your battery hack? I’m not at the point yet, but I want to be prepared when the time comes. Thanks in advance.

Hey Jeff. I’m in a similar situation as you. i have a high mileage Brose powered ebike. Like you, I also have 2 batteries that are irreplaceable. This puts me in a situation where I would be willing to try running an aftermarket 36 volt battery in parallel like you did. My question is........did you see any negative effects on the motor when you did this? Did you put a lot of miles on your bike using your battery hack? I’m not at the point yet, but I want to be prepared when the time comes. Thanks in advance.
I don't think so - the drive clutch failed at 8500 miles, which I am told is about all you can expect out of them; it was cheaper to replace the motor than to repair it. Would the clutch have failed if I had not used a parallel battery? I'll never know. The thing is the firmware inside the battery (that measures how much battery you have left) is programmed for 14AH, and it measures how many AH you have used - it doesn't know you have 28 AH to start with, so it counts down to zero as usual, even though you have half a battery (half of two batteries) left. Turn it off, turn it back on, and it "reads" you have half a battery left. It took me a while to figure that out. Be very certain that both batteries are within 1 volt of each other when you connect them in parallel, otherwise you could get a very high current passing from the charged battery to the discharged battery, possibly causing a fire. This is easily accomplished by charging both to full.
PedalUma notes that batteries can be repacked but I couldn't find anyone who wanted to do it for a proprietary battery; they repack the Dolphin and Shark packs, but not the Specialized or Raleigh packs. I thought about trying it myself but decided it was beyond my skillset, and I'd have to buy a spot welder.

My Brose motor failed at 8474 miles. I had all the bearings replaced with Performance Line Bearings and a new belt installed also. The cost was half the price of a new motor. The company that did the work is ebikebikemotorrepair.com They are located in Tennessee and work on all the major brand motors. They have a super quick turnaround time. It was a Godsend. I‘ve had my rebuilt motor back now for a month and have put 550 miles on it. It actually performs better than new!
I’m just preparing myself for battery failure. I’ve already had 2 batteries bite the dust. One at 78 charge cycles and the other at 12 cycles. They were never discharged below 30 percent, always stored indoors, and just stopped working. They would turn on for 15 seconds and just shut off. They also would not charge. I never got an answer to what the problem was. Brose support in the USA is non existent. I’ve got 2 working batteries now, so I’m hoping they last.
I’m just keeping all options open. Thanks for the detailed reply.

Just a headups on these batteries (for the Brose motor system).

I have a 2018 Brose Motor iZiP Moda E3 (A rebranded 2018 Brose equipped Raleigh Redux) and after reading this info called my local ebike store which carries iZip and Raleigh.

At first, they said, they couldnt get one but just called me an left a message that they were available for around $950 + $50 shipping.

So thats $1000 for a 500wh battery, thats just crazy

My thanks to Jeffr who helped me with my "looking for a backup battery" dilemma. Jeff was selling his Tamland-e, we both live in California, and I was traveling up his way, so we were able to meet and make a transaction. Thanks again Jeff. The battery has gone to a good home, as you wanted. I went out riding yesterday with both batteries charged, and did a switch after I burned the first one. It worked really well for wanting to just jam the whole way & burn thru 2 battery packs. So to others, this is at least one good place for that chance occurrence when someone is ready to part ways with their spare battery. When it works, it works. Good luck to you!

If anyone finds a business that repacks Brose batteries, please post their findings here. I know Bosch batteries are capable of being repacked. This is the reason I will never go with a proprietary motor/battery package ever again. What a shame.

I never did. The HiC website made no reference to Brose battery repair. Right now I’m good with 2 functioning batteries, but I realize, eventually I have to find someone to repack these or my bike will become a $4000 paperweight.

Why dont you 'actually' contact Hic via the 'Contact Us' link at the top of their home page.

Thats what I did and the response was that they did indeed repair brose batteries as long as the BMS was still good (most likely it is)

As I mentioned earlier, you can also buy new iZIP brose based batteries. When I first enquired at my local ebike store, they said that they were not listed but they put in an email to iZIP and a few months later got a response that they were indeed available (for $1k). This was for a 2018 iZIP Moda E3. Same battery as used on the Raleigh Brose Bikes as the iZIP is just a rebranded Raleigh.

iZIP kindof dropped off the planet for awhile with hardly any support. Word is that a new owner came in and changed all that. Lots of iZIP bikes (although none are brose) at my local ebike store.

Your right lemming. I’ll call them when I get to the point of needing a repacking. My bike is a BESV TRB1. The case is pretty unique.

Back