Amiti E+4

haywired

Well I guess I'll be the first to post on Liv e-bikes! Liv is owned by Giant. I just ordered the Amiti E+4 and should have it in a few days at my LBS. I chose it because it has several frame sizes (XS,S,M,L), even ones for short riders. Many e-bikes are just too big for a 5'1" shortie like me - even many of the folding e-bikes. I do have the RadRunner as well and I'm able to ride it without any issues - well one issue is that I can't use a suspension seat post with it because they add a few inches to the seat height. Other than that it's a fun bike but I want a good bike for pedaling and exercise. I also wanted a bike that blends in more on the bike trail. The RadRunner gets a lot of attention! Mostly good attention but sometimes I get those looks like I'm riding a Harley-Davidson on the park trails. Haha

I chose the extra small frame. This will be my first mid-drive e-bike. It also has hydraulic brakes which I've never experienced on a bike either. There's no throttle so I'll have to work it non-stop but with the help of the motor. Anyway, I'll let you know what my impressions are because there's not much information out there about this bike.

Good idea to start this. I am male but the LIV bikes work for me better than the regular bikes.
I really like these bikes, especially the motor. The torque is wonderful. I have been out riding 3 different ones. I would need to make it a little more comfortable with higher bars and more flexible tires. To me the ride is a bit harsh. I would move my Kinect seat post to this one for sure.
Since you are new to disk brakes, a couple of tips. They need to “bed in” to be fully effective. Ride and get up some speed and put them on to make them heat up in the process. Do this several times.

I won’t buy a bike unless it has disks. When you get to your first rainy surface be careful. They will lock up the wheels much more easily than rim brakes. But with hydraulic brakes you can “feather” them and learn how to really feel them and use them well.

If the dealer near me would exchange the 400 battery for a 500 I would make the sale. I do not want a black bike and the white model only comes with the smaller battery.
Enjoy. I will watch for your thoughts.

I don't see anything overly feminine about their bikes. Nothing about it is girly which is nice. Some other bikes for women are kinda silly looking in a condescending way. IMO

There's a lot of step-thru e-bikes these days but most are still too big for a short rider. Sure I might be able to put the seat way down but then I wouldn't have good leg extension for pedaling. The reach would probably be too much too.

Also those deep step-thru bikes can be squirrely. I have a folding e-bike that is sometimes difficult to take off on because the weight isn't balanced well. What I like about the Amiti E+4 is that the frame looks strong and it's available for short people like me too. :)

I should be able to use a suspension seat post too which I can't on other bikes. I'll let you know what I think of it. It looks like I'll have it this weekend.

Well I guess I'll be the first to post on Liv e-bikes! Liv is owned by Giant. I just ordered the Amiti E+4 and should have it in a few days at my LBS. I chose it because it has several frame sizes (XS,S,M,L), even ones for short riders. Many e-bikes are just too big for a 5'1" shortie like me - even many of the folding e-bikes. I do have the RadRunner as well and I'm able to ride it without any issues - well one issue is that I can't use a suspension seat post with it because they add a few inches to the seat height. Other than that it's a fun bike but I want a good bike for pedaling and exercise. I also wanted a bike that blends in more on the bike trail. The RadRunner gets a lot of attention! Mostly good attention but sometimes I get those looks like I'm riding a Harley-Davidson on the park trails. Haha

I chose the extra small frame. This will be my first mid-drive e-bike. It also has hydraulic brakes which I've never experienced on a bike either. There's no throttle so I'll have to work it non-stop but with the help of the motor. Anyway, I'll let you know what my impressions are because there's not much information out there about this bike.
My sister in law has an Amiti E+ 1 and she has no complaints with it at all...ENJOY!

Hello Haywired! I have had a small Liv Vall e+ for two years. The fit for me at 5’4.5” is very good...especially the reach. The front suspension is only modestly better than yours. As a hard tail bike, I feel every rut in the road. I’m looking into the new crane creek thudbuster or Kinect 2.1 suspension seatpost. I see that with these posts, it looks like the reach might lengthen 😕. Anyway, I am able to conquer the hills around my small mountain town with a smile on my face (and giggle all the way back down). The Yamaha motor is smooth and fairly quiet. Looking forward to hearing how you like your new ride!

I got my bike today! It's gorgeous in person. Very well made. I got the extra small frame and I'm glad because it fits me perfectly. I'm 5'1". The motor is very quiet, responsive, and capable for what I want it to do. Brakes and gears are doing great. My only complaint is the harsh ride like others have noted. Yes, you feel every crack and bump in the road in your behind. I ordered a suspension seat post and a new seat so hopefully that helps. I'll let you know how that goes.

The riding style is very much like a road bike. It feels stable and well balanced. Very natural feeling when beginning to pedal from a dead stop. It doesn't coast quite as well as a regular bike because there's some drag from the Yamaha motor...I think. I'll have to experience it some more to tell.

It's weighs quite a bit less than my other ebikes, so it's easier to maneuver around in the garage or other tight places. I haven't found the weight listed anywhere but Court did a review on the Giant brother to this bike and it was 49 pounds. I think it might weigh just a tad under that which is pretty good for an electric bike.

I added the fenders, rack and a kickstand when ordering. I've always thought it was silly for bikes not to come with kickstands, especially an ebike. At least the accessories were priced reasonably. Anyway, it does come with two integrated front lights, including a daytime running light in the headtube. Looks cool and is bright enough to get attention. No light in the back but it does have a reflector. There is a very nice slap guard for the chain. I'm going to get some reflectors for the spokes but the white frame is super visible. The paint job and details look flawless.

I'm going to try to adjust the front suspension because right now it's set pretty stiff. The owner of the bike shop put it together for me and delivered it. I could tell he's not the ebike type. He's a longtime road bike enthusiast so I'm sure a stiff bike is right up his alley.

Anyway, I think I'm going to love it once I get a smoother ride for my rear end. :)

IMG_20200411_183255.jpg

IMG_20200411_183016.jpg

I got my bike today! It's gorgeous in person. Very well made. I got the extra small frame and I'm glad because it fits me perfectly. I'm 5'1". The motor is very quiet, responsive, and capable for what I want it to do. Brakes and gears are doing great. My only complaint is the harsh ride like others have noted. Yes, you feel every crack and bump in the road in your behind. I ordered a suspension seat post and a new seat so hopefully that helps. I'll let you know how that goes.

The riding style is very much like a road bike. It feels stable and well balanced. Very natural feeling when beginning to pedal from a dead stop. It doesn't coast quite as well as a regular bike because there's some drag from the Yamaha motor...I think. I'll have to experience it some more to tell.

It's weighs quite a bit less than my other ebikes, so it's easier to maneuver around in the garage or other tight places. I haven't found the weight listed anywhere but Court did a review on the Giant brother to this bike and it was 49 pounds. I think it might weigh just a tad under that which is pretty good for an electric bike.

I added the fenders, rack and a kickstand when ordering. I've always thought it was silly for bikes not to come with kickstands, especially an ebike. At least the accessories were priced reasonably. Anyway, it does come with two integrated front lights, including a daytime running light in the headtube. Looks cool and is bright enough to get attention. No light in the back but it does have a reflector. There is a very nice slap guard for the chain. I'm going to get some reflectors for the spokes but the white frame is super visible. The paint job and details look flawless.

I'm going to try to adjust the front suspension because right now it's set pretty stiff. The owner of the bike shop put it together for me and delivered it. I could tell he's not the ebike type. He's a longtime road bike enthusiast so I'm sure a stiff bike is right up his alley.

Anyway, I think I'm going to love it once I get a smoother ride for my rear end. :)

View attachment 49614

View attachment 49615

Great review! Hope you find the seat that works for you sooner rather than later. A seatpost suspension will help for sure.

Set your tires at about 40-45psi. A bigger tire can run at much lower pressures, and hence more cushion. My 2.35 big apples run at about 35. They're pretty cushy.
Nice looking bike. 👍

I'm enjoying the bike very much! I'm sure a suspension seat post will work wonders. I don't want to give the impression it rides rough because it doesn't. I have an old Trek, a regular bike, that rides the same. Very typical of road bikes. I'll try lowering the tire pressure until that seat post comes. :)

Good point! I’m sure all hard tails ride similar. I just added Creek Crane’s latest Thudbuster and took my Liv for a ride. The improvement is subtle but I did not feel the harsh jolt to my back going over ruts in pavement or dirt. I had to move my seat a little forward to compensate for the lengthened reach which put my knee in a slightly less than ideal position. I am not sure yet how much this will matter. Haywired, Please let us know how you like your suspension post when you get it! 🚴‍♀️

Okay, back from my first real ride and my view of the bike has changed...for the better! As far as pedal assist goes, levels 1 and 2 were plenty for me most of the time. I never had to use the highest level. This is an ebike you could ride without the motor too which is great. I wanted a bike for exercise.

Yes, it rides stiff but not harsh. Padded bicycle shorts would be enough for most once you get used to the bike. A suspension seat post is still a good choice for longer rides. I'd recommend some riding gloves since the grips don't have much padding to them and you're putting quite a bit of weight on your wrist from the riding style.

The fenders protected me well from mud and water puddles. Some water got on the motor but it's protected well. No issues. The frame itself didn't get a drop on it. I rode through some slimy mud and the tires didn't slip at all. They have good grip.

Oh, and I didn't notice any drag from the motor and it's super quick to respond. It's also quiet enough to hear the birds singing and traffic around me.

Anyway, I just wanted to give an update.

Good point! I’m sure all hard tails ride similar. I just added Creek Crane’s latest Thudbuster and took my Liv for a ride. The improvement is subtle but I did not feel the harsh jolt to my back going over ruts in pavement or dirt. I had to move my seat a little forward to compensate for the lengthened reach which put my knee in a slightly less than ideal position. I am not sure yet how much this will matter. Haywired, Please let us know how you like your suspension post when you get it! 🚴‍♀️

I'll share my thoughts on the new post when I get it. I just got a cheaper one off of Amazon. I don't think it will affect reach but we'll see. Glad the Thudbuster is helping!

I found that my Thudbuster feels better ( very good ) when I use the softest rubber insert even though I am 155 lbs so you may also find you prefer a size or two softer than prescribed for your weight ( unless of course you are already using the softest one)

I recently got a 2020 LIV Amite E+4. As a guy who is finding it tougher to sling a leg over a higher cross bar, I appreciate the low stand over height of this model. The “large” frame size was a good fit for me at 5’9’’, and all the quality amenities that come on the Amite make it a very good buy.

After one week…

Pros:

The Yamaha motor adapts to rider input seamlessly…a very regular bike-like experience. No jerky motor on/off at max speeds, and very quiet.

Brakes are smooth and very good (180 front/160 rear), not great, but more than enough for this bike

The bike is very agile and feels light – makes it fun to ride

Bike shifts gears well, although you have to pay a little more attention as there is no motor shift detection like on the Bosch systems

Quick release front and rear wheels

High quality components and frame

It has a nice rubber chainguard, a front headlight, and the coolest day time running light integrated into the headtube (with the lights set to on, it will automatically switch to the best one for the lighting conditions)

Easy side battery removal

2-year warranty

Cons:

No kickstand. It has the holes for one

Front fork a little springy – you have to fine tune adjust properly

The ride is firm. I lowered the tire pressure and installed my Thudbuster seat post and still find it a little on the rough side. Other posts have indicated that the stock tires are to blame. I will try alternative Schwalbe tires

Other Concerns:

I was worried that the 70 NM might not be sufficient, but the motor has more than enough to get you going quickly and up any hill with ease.

I was also concerned that the 400 battery would not be adequate – I am used to riding bikes with a 500 battery. That has not proven to be a problem – the range is very good.

My last concern was the controls, there being no display, just led lights for battery and assist. In fact, I did not miss the display, but did find that the small led lights can be difficult to see if the sun hits it from some angles.

The control also has an auto assist function – set it and forget it (the system will automatically adjust its assistance). I have not ridden enough to fully evaluate, but it appears to do that job should you want to ride that way.

Conclusion

I really like this bike. It is quick, powerful, fun to ride, and an absolutely excellent value.

I recently got a 2020 LIV Amite E+4. As a guy who is finding it tougher to sling a leg over a higher cross bar, I appreciate the low stand over height of this model. The “large” frame size was a good fit for me at 5’9’’, and all the quality amenities that come on the Amite make it a very good buy.

After one week…

Pros:

The Yamaha motor adapts to rider input seamlessly…a very regular bike-like experience. No jerky motor on/off at max speeds, and very quiet.

Brakes are smooth and very good (180 front/160 rear), not great, but more than enough for this bike

The bike is very agile and feels light – makes it fun to ride

Bike shifts gears well, although you have to pay a little more attention as there is no motor shift detection like on the Bosch systems

Quick release front and rear wheels

High quality components and frame

It has a nice rubber chainguard, a front headlight, and the coolest day time running light integrated into the headtube (with the lights set to on, it will automatically switch to the best one for the lighting conditions)

Easy side battery removal

2-year warranty

Cons:

No kickstand. It has the holes for one

Front fork a little springy – you have to fine tune adjust properly

The ride is firm. I lowered the tire pressure and installed my Thudbuster seat post and still find it a little on the rough side. Other posts have indicated that the stock tires are to blame. I will try alternative Schwalbe tires

Other Concerns:

I was worried that the 70 NM might not be sufficient, but the motor has more than enough to get you going quickly and up any hill with ease.

I was also concerned that the 400 battery would not be adequate – I am used to riding bikes with a 500 battery. That has not proven to be a problem – the range is very good.

My last concern was the controls, there being no display, just led lights for battery and assist. In fact, I did not miss the display, but did find that the small led lights can be difficult to see if the sun hits it from some angles.

The control also has an auto assist function – set it and forget it (the system will automatically adjust its assistance). I have not ridden enough to fully evaluate, but it appears to do that job should you want to ride that way.

Conclusion

I really like this bike. It is quick, powerful, fun to ride, and an absolutely excellent value.
good review !

Thanks Steve!
Perhaps my review of the Liv Amite E+4 was premature. The bike is now three weeks since purchase and has spent two of those in the LBS. While the bike is very good when it runs, it only does that every so often. A few kilometres out, and every few kilometres thereafter the system shuts down. Sometimes I can restart by pressing the on button. Other times a red alert comes on and the bike can only be restarted by removing and reattaching the battery (note-never leave home without your key!).
The shut down happens when pedalling, when not pedalling. and has nothing to do with going over bumps etc..
When the red light comes on I do a scan on my iPhone Giant Ride Control, and it indicates that there is a motor problem. Needless to say, all of this disappears when I get to the LBS.
I shall keep you appraised as this adventure unfolds.....

Sounds like a speed sensor, but I think they're more robust on the 2020+ models.
On the spoke magnet version, if it gets bumped or moves out of place the bike will shut down like that.

Back