Known Issues & Problems with Ebikemotion Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

troehrkasse

EBR Webmaster
Region
USA
City
Fort Collins
No ebike is perfect, this is a thread dedicated to sharing known issues or problems with electric motors from Ebikemotion as well as any help and solutions you know of. Sometimes that means a DIY fix and other times it can mean a recall, software update or part replacement by a dealer.

Please be respectful and constructive with feedback, this is not a space for hate speech. In many cases, representatives from the company will see feedback and use it to improve their product. In the end, the goal is to enjoy riding and help each other go further and be safer.

I'm looking for feedback from eBikeMotion X35 owners... I have a 2019 Orbea Gain M20i and have put about 2,000 miles (3,219km) on it this year mostly in dry conditions. The bike has worked well and the battery does not seem to have lost much.

But I flatted recently, and when changing the tire, noticed that the hub seemed sort of sluggish... it was hard to spin the wheel when holding the axle and when I did get it spinning, it spun down quite quickly. These are sealed bearing as far as I can tell and I dont see any recommend maintenance on the eBikeMotion site.

I've only done bearings on other wheels after 15,000 miles or so...

Has anyone else experienced this issue. There is not an Orbea dealer near where I live and very few other X35 systems around. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

- Ed

I'm looking for feedback from eBikeMotion X35 owners... I have a 2019 Orbea Gain M20i and have put about 2,000 miles (3,219km) on it this year mostly in dry conditions. The bike has worked well and the battery does not seem to have lost much.

But I flatted recently, and when changing the tire, noticed that the hub seemed sort of sluggish... it was hard to spin the wheel when holding the axle and when I did get it spinning, it spun down quite quickly. These are sealed bearing as far as I can tell and I dont see any recommend maintenance on the eBikeMotion site.

I've only done bearings on other wheels after 15,000 miles or so...

Has anyone else experienced this issue. There is not an Orbea dealer near where I live and very few other X35 systems around. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

- Ed

I've had both my Orbea M20i and Trek Domane turned upside down. Same gear, same number of turns, the Gain rear wheels runs down much quicker and also stops more abruptly, while the Trek runs on for much longer slowing down gradually.

Thanks Jaxx. I should have clarified that mine seems worse than when new and when I last changed tires in July (after about 4 months of use) (no flat that time, but had noticed a lot of tire wear probably from all the torque that the motor puts out).

We know the marketing line from eBikeMotion of almost no rolling resistance was never true, but the resistance seems worse now. This is a very hard thing to actually measure other than maybe spinning the wheel up to a certain speed and measuring how long it takes to stop. I wish now I'd captured some data on this when the bike was new. (I have an analog newton meter gauge but it wont work very well on a movable object).

Thanks Jaxx. I should have clarified that mine seems worse than when new and when I last changed tires in July (after about 4 months of use) (no flat that time, but had noticed a lot of tire wear probably from all the torque that the motor puts out).

We know the marketing line from eBikeMotion of almost no rolling resistance was never true, but the resistance seems worse now. This is a very hard thing to actually measure other than maybe spinning the wheel up to a certain speed and measuring how long it takes to stop. I wish now I'd captured some data on this when the bike was new. (I have an analog newton meter gauge but it wont work very well on a movable object).

Like I said I have 2 Gains. Roughly 1000 difference in usage. I will teat them both on my rollers over a few different speeds and measure the slow down period. Let ya know?

Hi All, I have an Orbea Gain M20i and pulled the rear wheel off to put on a different cassette. Put it back on connected the cable and tested on the bike stand and now the motor does not work, what could I have done?
Is there a speed sensor somewhere that could have come off? I have the cable pointed down from the hub like it was when I took it off. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi All, I have an Orbea Gain M20i and pulled the rear wheel off to put on a different cassette. Put it back on connected the cable and tested on the bike stand and now the motor does not work, what could I have done?
Is there a speed sensor somewhere that could have come off? I have the cable pointed down from the hub like it was when I took it off. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have you put the correct locking ring back on? It reads the cadence thus supplying info to the motor. Has about 20 small rounded of the front of it. These are magnets.

Good question, I will need to check because it is possible I switched them without knowing. Thanks.

That was it, I feel stupid. I did notice those dots but didn't click because of my over 60 brain. Thanks for your help...

That was it, I feel stupid. I did notice those dots but didn't click because of my over 60 brain. Thanks for your help...

Glad ya sorted it Brew. That's what we are all here for. Picked your request up while stopped at a new cafe (for me) overlooking a lake on my first outdoor ride of the year. Couple of miles later my chain dropped to the inner ring mysteriously? Hadn't checked battery on Di2. First time using the bike since October.

Thanks. No hope of updates I take it. Wish I had not bought the bike now. Got battery issues that are being ignored

Just had new update yesterday for android. Don't know if it's improved? I'm in isolation for another 11 weeks, having had a transplant.

Hi snooker sounds fun. I am just keeping busy
ps cud not see any update.
at some stage cud u tell me the version. U r using please

Hi snooker sounds fun. I am just keeping busy
ps cud not see any update.
at some stage cud u tell me the version. U r using please

Steve, would be a whole lot better, if I could have someone round to play against. Version. 1.3.09.3839

Back