Happy with DJ Bikes MTB 2017/2018

Explorer-1

Have bike, will travel
Region
USA
City
Boston North Shore
Just joined, and I'm surprised there is not more information on the DJ Bikes MTB on here and other e-bike forums. It's really a great bike for the money, especially once you adjust the top speed. Mine was sold as a 500W motor, but I suspect it is the same motor that is now advertised at 750W once you increase the top speed.

I've been very happy with mine since January 2018. I have 3 batteries, but generally only carry 2 when I'm out riding. I like to have a fresh battery as I start to go back home, as then I'm often on busier roads, or just ready to get home.

I wanted to get a bike with a larger battery so I would not need to carry the extra batteries often. I also kind of wanted to try a fat-tire bike and see what they were all about as I often ride off road on trails or where there are no trails. I could have gone with the DJ Fat Bike, but decided to try Juiced Bikes so I could see how they compared myself and they offered a larger battery. I went with the Rip Current S, but I've not ridden it yet.

Time to adjust the brakes and probably install new pads on the DJ MTB, but other than that and patching flats I've not had much trouble with it. It has held up great off road as well as on trails and the streets. I did spend a bunch finding the right seat and other accessories.

Are there other happy DJ Bike owners here that also have another e-bike they can compare it to?

Took my DJ Bikes MTB out today as the weather was about freezing and the streets were mostly dry. Had planned to take the Juiced RCS out, but I had forgot to charge it because I had left it on purpose after the last outing thinking I'd get back on it quick and complete a full range test in colder weather; That didn't happen and today I wanted a full battery. Luckily I have my DJ MTB and lots of charged batteries for it.

This bike still impressed me, I was liking the more upright riding position of the RCS, and I noticed that the stem on my DJ-MTB was only at about 18deg from the last time I tweeked it when I first got it a couple years ago. So I decided to tilt it some more and found a nice happy position to try for a while. I'm impressed because this bike came with very practical components that allow for a lot of adjustments where they are needed. The RCS I would have to get a new handle bar, or more than likely get a new stem and a new bar. Luckily I'm happy with the existing stem and bar on the RCS, but I did have to add a daughter bar so I had some place to mount accessories. If I wanted to modify the riding position, it wold be a lot more work. Of course I still really like the RCS and i plan to write a more complete review when I have had more time on it, which maybe spring until I can get on some of the trails I ride.

Anyway, just posting that I'm still happy with this bike, and it still seems like it was a lot of value in an e-bike 2 years ago. The more affordable e-bike segment is still trying to catch up, even though there are models that look to meet it in value, there still seems to be several little things that put the DJ-MTB ahead.

Happy riding.

Last edited:
I was on the bike again a couple days ago, and after riding the Juiced RCS for a few trips before getting back on this one, it really felt like I was getting on a kid's bike when in reality it is quite a large bike. The RCS in comparison though is huge. This one is much easier to handle off on narrow trails in the trees. The RCS is like a big Cadillac or SUV in comparison.

Approaching 2500km now. I've been riding the Juiced RCS quite a bit, but as things dry up and I explore new trails that I don't know what to expect I'll be taking the DJ-MTB, as it is so much easier to handle getting over logs and other obstacles on narrow trails.

Put the bike on the repair stand yesterday for the second time only (first was for a flat). Gave the chain a good cleaning and lubricating, adjusted the breaks, adjusted the shifting (better than factory now), added some thin foam to the battery mount to keep the dirt out a little better. Took it for a short spin last night and it was running so nice. A couple deer stopped by to check it out, but they may have been more intrigued with the blinking tail-light, they didn't really say, but they hung around long enough that I know they liked it.

Broke my personal record yesterday, did a 112km trip and it would have been longer if the weather was more cooperative. This is a great bike, but carry extra batteries so you can go until 'you' can't... and then continue! ... and let the bike take you home.

Last edited:
IMG_4064.jpeg

Someone requested photo of the charging port. It is what is known as an XLR connector or Canon-Style.

Last edited:
Passed through 3,000km today on the bike, but got a flat after that, and made it another 20km with tire sealant and co2, but could not make the last 7km home, as my co2 filler failed, and i was out of cartridges. I did get an offer for help from friendly guy with a compressor, but had already called for help, so patching it on the road didn't happen. I should have patched it earlier when by co2 was working instead of gambling at least after the need to fill it the second time.

I'm going to get some new tires now, as this was a nasty slice type puncture, and after 3000km the tread is pretty thin. Turns out lots of bike parts are all backordered especially the narrower MBT used for the 24-559 rims on the bike.

I won't be doing too many long trips before i get new tires or at least a new co2 filler. Last weekend my trip was just over 100km one day, and 45km the other.

update: all patched up now, makes it easier to move around, but waiting on new tires; excited to try the new tires, trying several different ones with various shipping times.

Last edited:
Just a small update, i got really lazy, and started riding my RCS and not taking the time to fix the DJ MTB. i got an extra battery cheap off ebay so the RCS was doing the kind of distance only my DJ could do before. I started using the RCS not really as i had originally intended.

However, the time came and the RCS needed a new rear tire and tube, grateful though that bike never stranded me once.

I decided i'd take the tine to fix both bikes. Started with the DJ this morning. Put new Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tour 26"x2” tires on it. They should be great and much more puncture resistant than the stock tires. The tires might be worth more than the rest of the bike if i were to sell it.

Really great to ride it again today; so different than the RCS. Feels more like my older manual bike in therms of weight and handling. The shorter wheelbase, weight, narrow tires are all easily noticable. I'll be taking it for a longer ride tomorrow. I still have more battery power for the DJ than the RCS, but just fixed an additional battery for the RCS. So carrying 3 extra 13Ah batteries on the RCS could get me serious range, but it really cuts into my cargo space. Same on the DJ, carrying 3 extra batteries is extremely heavy and cargo limiting. I dislike carrying more that 2 extra.

The DJ bike was easy to work on as usual. I put the bike upside down to change the rear wheel so gravity was working with me when I needed it the most. I used my handlebar jacks for the first time for a major repair and they worked great. I think it was easier to do it this way than to use my bike stand.

Happy to be able to ride the DJ again.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update!

As a DJ Bikes mountain bike owner I can attest to your observations and appreciate the info re: the Schwalbe Marathon+ sneakers.

Unfortunately, shortly after I received mine I bagan to notice some difficulty in getting on and off the bike. Long story short....Parkinsons Disease.
Medication has gone a long way in addressing the effects of this most nasty disease, but mounting and dismounting can still be a challenge. However, once in the saddle things are fine. My long term solution is to find a step through frame bike someone might want to trade for a DJ mountain bike. Since PD challenges balance and coordination and any exercise that requires them is a good thing to work at, I continue to do so, at least in the short term.

I recommend DJ Bikes to all who inquire about sellers. Owner Daniel Yang was always responsive to my questions and the one issue I had (rust on the brake rotors) was quickly addressed with a new set.

Thanks for the update!

As a DJ Bikes mountain bike owner I can attest to your observations and appreciate the info re: the Schwalbe Marathon+ sneakers.

Unfortunately, shortly after I received mine I bagan to notice some difficulty in getting on and off the bike. Long story short....Parkinsons Disease.
Medication has gone a long way in addressing the effects of this most nasty disease, but mounting and dismounting can still be a challenge. However, once in the saddle things are fine. My long term solution is to find a step through frame bike someone might want to trade for a DJ mountain bike. Since PD challenges balance and coordination and any exercise that requires them is a good thing to work at, I continue to do so, at least in the short term.

I recommend DJ Bikes to all who inquire about sellers. Owner Daniel Yang was always responsive to my questions and the one issue I had (rust on the brake rotors) was quickly addressed with a new set.
Oh I'm so sorry to hear that you are affected by Parkinson's, I have a friend that started having symptoms 5 years ago. Well more serious ones, turns out there were signs for at least 5 years before that. A step through would certainly be the ideal way to go if you can still ride. Another option that might work for you is to install a dropper seatpost so you can raise and lower the seat while on the bike.

I just got back from my first long ride on the bike in about a year (63km / 39mi). I did a short 30min test ride last night in the dark. Today I took it on streets and various trail terrain including sand where it struggled before. The new tires worked great, the rain wouldn't go a way, but the forest canopy kept me mostly dry while I was on trails.

I can definetly recommend the Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tour tires. I wanted to try something wider than 2", but was unsure how that would work on the existing rims so I decided to go with max puncture protection instead. The tires handled everything great. I was shocked at how well the bike did in the sand on the ATV trail where usually a fat tire is required. Of course I had done various sand trails on the stock tires, but these seems to work so much better at staying in control. I'll have to look at new brake pads soon I'm sure. Currently at 3140km, a thousand less than I should be because this year 2500+km all went on the RCS. Now the DJ MTB is ready for the Fall rides though and I will try to take it out more than the RCS to make up for the time it lost.

Yes, Daniel has been great to deal with for me as well. I want to try a mid drive bike, and since they don't yet make the one I want I might just buy the cheapest one I can trust and that puts DJ in the running even if they're offering is not particularly exciting. I just need one to learn more about them before I buy my dream bike or two. The DJ MTB was absolutely the best first e-bike for me at the time.

The bike is so different to ride than the RCS, I think I get a better workout on it, but I really liked it on the narrow foot trails where the RCS is just too big and too heavy. I spend a lot of time on trails meant for hiking, not biking. I look forward to the day I can put a huge battery pack on it in the triangle. If the 'next' battery tech ever arrives it will be glorious.

I have some wider tires I may try one day. The Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tour 26x2 tires right now seem to be sold out everywhere, but luckily I bought mine from Germany last year. I also got a nice pair of MAXXIS tires, but can only ride one set at a time :)

Good luck and keep riding. it might help things, if not physically at least mentally.

Last edited:
After getting the new tires on the bike i've been using it for everything and leaving the RCS to sit for a while. Only fair since the DJ-MTB sat all year.

Loving the new tires on road, dirt, mud, and sand.

Today the DJ took the crown from the RCS for the longest single day trip, i broke my personal record with a trip today of 226km (~140.4mi). I'm not likely to need to do that again, so this record might stand for a long time. I was carying 4 48V/13Ah batteries and some other gear, making for a very heavy bike. I only used 3 of the 4 batteries.

Last edited:
A big weekend for the DJ MTB; I did 536+ km (~333mi) over 4 days, the longest single day trip was 195km (~121mi). I was carrying 3 batteries, but 2 would have been sufficient for 3 of the days.

The bike now has 4154km (2581mi) over the 3+ years I've owned it, the actual mileage i slightly more as I have ridden it a bit with out the electrical system on. It just got new tires a couple weeks before this trip, I had to do a gear/derailer adjustment on it last year (should have done it earlier), and now it needs new break pads so bad. Sounds like I need to lubricate the headset as well. So the regular bike type of maintenance. I'm lazy with such things, if I was close to a bike shop I'd have them do it, no mobile mechanic for the area yet either.

I'm very happy with this lower cost older-style e-bike with limited power. It's turned out to be rough trail capable, as well as light touring capable. Reliable in the rain, although water can affect the brake motor disconnect sensors if you are not careful, and on this last trip I got some water/condensation in the LCD display. It is a small amount I should be able to remove on a hot sunny day if we get another one of those this year. :)

I'm going to try a front rack system as I needed to carry a backpack on this trip and I really don't like riding with a loaded backpack.

Overall this was a great way to kind of wind up the summer here. I hope next summer is better over all from weather and work, to general life, and I'm able to get out on more long trips.

Last edited:
Holy cow, Batman! That's like 120 miles. In one day! I'll bet Daniel Yang would like to hear about it. Congrats on that Century+ accomplishment.

I've found careful use of a hair dryer is good at removing LCD condensation.

As far as dealing with the PD, my biggest issue is getting OFF the bike. I've developed a way that so far is effective, but time and the incessant development of symptoms will tell.

My neighborhood owner's association recently finished paving the golf cart trails around a closed golf course. Almost 5 miles of nice pathways, mostly flat with a couple hills. This past weekend I did 2 circuits, about 10 miles, averaging 16.8 MPH and not going higher than level 2 and an occasional 3 pedal assist. My thighs were quivering when I got off, but it felt good. It was the hardest riding effort I've done since owning the MTB. We're heading up to Long Island tomorrow and I'll bring the bike with me to try out a couple of the paved ocean trails, weather permitting.

Cheers!

That sounds great. Yes during my trip to conserve battery i used PA 1 and 2,, and on a handful of occasions PA3. I don't think I could have done 4 days in a row at the beginning of the season.

I met a nice older fella which had a leg injury and he got off his bike by sliding off the back of the seat, I didn't expect that, but it worked great for him. He even had a low step bike Surface 604 Rook; at 87 he was in great shape and happy riding his e-bike as well as his regular bike.

Back