Amego Infinite Unboxing

Greg Foulke

20190403_141621.jpg

Received my Amego Infinite in the mail two days ago. It arrived as scheduled and undamaged. I could find no assembly instructions, but all I had to do was put on the pedals (the right pedal was labeled so that was easy) and install the stem and handlebars. Assembly was easy and they even includes wrenches, screwdriver, and hex keys so I did not have to dig for my own tools. The derailleur was a bit out of tune, but that was a quick fix as well. The tires came fully inflated and the battery also had a full charge.

I love the cockpit set up, with the throttle on the right. The bell is also a nice touch.

I ordered a helmet as well, and that was also shipped in the box. It was too small, so I called Amego and they immediately offered to ship out an advance replacement and cover return shipping. Customer Service was very friendly and helpful.

So far I've added a phone mount, Two Wheel Gear garment commuter pannier, right angle usb charger for phone, and mirror.

I love how it rides! PAS 1 is very peppy, and the brakes are perfect. I don't know how anyone would want anything other than hydraulic disc brakes with 180mm rotors on a bike that is this heavy and travels this fast.

I am traveling for work this next week, but am almost ready to being my 19 mile one-way commute to work. Very excited and harpy with my Infinite!

I am looking to buy this bike as well. Though after talking to a sales person on the phone I realized that the difference between the Infinite and a plus model is the power brakes and $500 CAN. Are they really so important to justify the 25% of the price of the bike?

I am looking to buy this bike as well. Though after talking to a sales person on the phone I realized that the difference between the Infinite and a plus model is the power brakes and $500 CAN. Are they really so important to justify the 25% of the price of the bike?
Well, not "power" brakes but hydraulic disk brakes as opposed to mechanical disk brakes. Looks like the Plus model also comes with an 8 speed drivetrain as opposed to the 7 speed on the standard model.

Hydraulic disk brakes are better as far as stopping power, smooth modulation of braking power and less maintenance. However mechanical disk brakes are very functional on this type of bike (would not be my first choice on a mountain bike or a speed pedelec), and they are easier to maintain yourself.

I don't know - I think that I agree with you that the differences in the standard vs the plus models (from what I can tell from the web site) don't seem all that important to rate a $500 CAN difference in price.

Thank you for your reply. I am new to this and a bit unsteady with the terminology. That was my question to the sales person. What is the difference between them (the 2 bikes). So he stated that it is way easier to work on mechanical disk brakes. I don't know, maybe. But I never had an issue with hydraulic brakes on a motorcycle in my decades of riding. I have decided to go with the Infinite with mechanical brakes. All in all looks like a balanced choice. I would highly appreciate any feedback!

O.K., you know hydraulic brakes from your motorcycle experiences. A lot of bicycle folks don't know them well, and listen to others who say "you will have to have hydraulic brakes serviced at the bike shop since they are so complex to service and bleed", etc. We know that this is not the case, and that you can do a fluid flush and bleed at home with some simple and proper tools.

But we also know that hydraulic brakes are easier to modulate from soft to hard stopping power. And since hydraulic fluids are incompressible, the lever effort to apply the rear brake is essentially the same as for the front brake. With mechanical (cable actuated) brakes it normally takes a harder pull on the rear brake lever, since there will be some friction between the long cable and the long housing which goes all the way to the rear brake. But this is wholly manageable and effective on a street type bike, for anyone who doesn't have strength issues (e.g.: arthritis) in their right hand.

Also, cables stretch so mechanical brakes may require adjustments more often than hydraulic brakes. But such an adjustment is quite simple to anyone who has ridden bikes.

I think that for the price difference, you are making the right choice. If the Plus had a larger capacity battery, a more powerful motor & controller, additional accessories, etc., I think that the price difference could be justified. But it just seems that the bikes are totally identical other than the type of brakes and the 1 extra cog in the cassette.

Thank you guys, this is good to know. I will go with the mechanical brakes and later down the road if they will feel like lacking the stopping power I will just upgrade them to hydraulic brakes.

Magura has a nice setup. There’s now a proper higo harness with for Magura and BBSxx series.
Magura MT 5e 4 piston.
1587327079020.png

Last edited:
All is well with Eunora and BTN until there’s an issues there are several threads here telling their horror stories. As they grow it’s even worse. I’d love to see their build details, with an open case.

Good for you. How many batteries have you had.? Which sellers Batteries have you reviewed and sold? Please, cherry picking reviews is a game and a waste of time. I know you dislike my posting experience but I freely share from those experiences.

I did take the time to read EM3ev comments and the other side of your cherry-pic, and as usual a completely different story. From a trusted source. Poke around endless_sphere and see what experienced diy fellas say. But it’s that pesky experience they have.

Back