Questions about Téo Fat Bike

Rsplodge

Hi: I’m in Ottawa (2 hours from Montreal) Canada, and am new to this group. Téo has a good sale on this month and I’m considering buying one. However, there’s not a lot of activity in this forum recently about their bikes. Have they dropped in popularity compared to other offerings? No longer competitive or considered to have poor service?
I’m confused about their offerings in terms of the 500W vs 750W. The website seems to only offer certain power in certain size frames or colours. Is there a 750W offering for a Canadian by getting 500W but just changing some s/w setting? Isn’t that the case for the VoltBike and doesn’t Téo use the same h/w?
Thanks, ...Roger

Hi: I’m in Ottawa (2 hours from Montreal) Canada, and am new to this group. Téo has a good sale on this month and I’m considering buying one. However, there’s not a lot of activity in this forum recently about their bikes. Have they dropped in popularity compared to other offerings? No longer competitive or considered to have poor service?
I’m confused about their offerings in terms of the 500W vs 750W. The website seems to only offer certain power in certain size frames or colours. Is there a 750W offering for a Canadian by getting 500W but just changing some s/w setting? Isn’t that the case for the VoltBike and doesn’t Téo use the same h/w?
Thanks, ...Roger
Hi Roger. I suspect that like myself many members have put their bikes away for the winter season. Also the newness has worn off. I had a look at the Voltbike page and it appears to have very similar specs to the Teo; A little less battery capacity and a slightly lower quality derailleur vs the Teo. I can tell you that I was quite impressed with the quality of the Teo bike. All the components and assembly were quite good. That said both bikes and virtually anything in this price range is made in China. So expect similar quality and components. As far as specs go make sure you check via email with Theo regarding the bike that you purchase. I think they have A mix of old and new stock; the newer bikes have upgraded 180 mm rotors. Depending on the colour you can order a 750 W bike in Canada. I think the difference is primarily the motor controller.
The caution that I would give you is they both will be large heavy bikes. The other minor issue with the Teo is that the seat tube diameter below the seat post clamp is larger than the clamp area. This could allow the seat post to wobble in the tube and stress the area to the point where it cracks. If you are tall you can ask them to upgrade the seat-post to a longer one. Another member also solved the problem by cutting a crazy Carpet to fit inside the seat tube to shim it to a constant inside diameter.
I hope this helps and sorry that it has taken so long for anybody to get back to you.
I’m not crazy about the way the rear rack is mounted on either bike; the slanted support tubes are subject to a lot of torsional stress. At least one member had their rack fail and the Voltbike looks like it has even more of a slant on the support tubes. I am going to see if I can rig up a strut between the rack and my seat tube next summer to reduce the torsional stress.

Last edited:
It would be interesting to know and hear their impressions.
True, the Teo forum is VERY quiet these days. Personally my bike is in storage; -30 degrees C this morning. ☃️

We seen -15 in the pittsburgh PA area, I was in Florida all winter last year.
Very disappointed with Teo. I did get an unusual quick reply.

No I bought a Voltbike Yukon 750 Ltd. I've put 1200km on it since mid Nov with winter commuting and recreational riding. Téo never answered my last phone calls and emails plus the Voltbike looked good. I'm happy with the Voltbike. Some issues but they have been good about sending me replacement parts.
Roger

No I bought a Voltbike Yukon 750 Ltd. I've put 1200km on it since mid Nov with winter commuting and recreational riding. Téo never answered my last phone calls and emails plus the Voltbike looked good. I'm happy with the Voltbike. Some issues but they have been good about sending me replacement parts.
Roger
Oh yes I ride in -25C weather sometimes

So basically "Teo" has said Im on my own. He raised the price of the controller I need $250 US from $195 US a year ago. says its tariffs. If that was the case his bikes would be insanely high. So looking for alternative controller to fix my problem.

I have a 2017 Téo S Ltd. Bought a 750W but received a 500W.

Rear cargo rack is very slanted and broke off eventually.

Decent bike, decent components but not very good support from Téo.

I would recommend Voltbike.

Back