2023 Aventon Level 2 Review

PedalUma

Region
USA
City
Petaluma, CA
I just built and tested one of these new '23 Level 2 bikes. Overall quality has improved. For a $1,999 bike it is nice. For most riders in most circumstances it will be very good. This bike is not for me but am not an average ridder either. The bike is both Class 2 and Class 3 simultaneously. It has a torque sensor and has a throttle. The clearcoat paint looks good, not like a $10,000 bike but very nice. The throttle can be used from a dead stop. The torque sensor has less lag and is more responsive than a cadence sensor only pedal assist bike. The integrated light kit and brake lights work well and with the reflex (reflective stripe) tires. It has hydraulic disc brakes and looks to have a quality front hub with replaceable sealed bearings. Using the throttle, the bike will top out at 20mph. With the pedal assist it will top out at 28mph. It comes with a 55-pound capacity rear rack that is good for commuters or around town. In my opinion it checks all the boxes for most people who want a moderately priced bike. A word about the charger. It is not proprietary. That was a problem with some earlier models that Aventon has addressed with this new 2023 model. It comes in mid-step and low-step versions in a selections of colors. The saddle is supportive for longer rides and comfortable for casual rides. See their website for the specifications of the Aventon Level 2.

Attachments

• Level.JPG
    Level.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 313
  • Level2a (2).JPG
    Level2a (2).JPG
    282.3 KB · Views: 310
  • Level2b (2).JPG
    Level2b (2).JPG
    329.3 KB · Views: 310
Last edited:
250 pound guy review
I just purchased my level 2 step through a couple weeks ago and have been waiting for the rain to stop. I'm a 62 year old 250 pound, decent amount of muscle and used to bicycle all the time when I was younger. However after 2 back surgeries, one heart and one shoulder surgery I thought I was done. I have been watching the ebikes evolve over the years and when the torque sensor came I knew it was time. I was hoping to get 30 miles battery range due to my size and the several decent hills in my area. They are short but steep. Some over 8%. I am still on the 1st charge and so far I have 30 miles with 32% battery left after I parked. So I am thinking I will be thrilled to get 40 miles on a charge. I did not tax the battery too much and I found that I liked level 2 the best. I did however use level 5 and got a good run at a couple short steep hills, but I never walked. I found the throttle good for starting off from a stop but really saw no need for it other than that for me.
Anyway I thought I would post my weight because I think it is helpful to give people an idea of the range for us Clydesdales. Thanks Aventon

I'm on my 3rd battery charge now and honestly I personally can find only a small difference in how long the battery last whether I'm using level 2 or 5 which is by the way a lot more fun. Perhaps it has to do with when I'm going above 20 MPH and with my weight at 250 I am building inertia that helps propel me forward. Resulting in less motor usage. As a side note I think keeping my cadence around 90 RPM helps also. I ride fast for fitness as opposed to a leisurely ride. (well fast for me) Not sure but I just thought I would give an update.

I'm on my 3rd battery charge now and honestly I personally can find only a small difference in how long the battery last whether I'm using level 2 or 5 which is by the way a lot more fun. Perhaps it has to do with when I'm going above 20 MPH and with my weight at 250 I am building inertia that helps propel me forward. Resulting in less motor usage. As a side note I think keeping my cadence around 90 RPM helps also. I ride fast for fitness as opposed to a leisurely ride. (well fast for me) Not sure but I just thought I would give an update.
I should be receiving a Level 2 Step Thru in white in the next few days...

I'm having so much fun. 20 years ago I was happy to average 14mph on a 20-30 mile ride on the bike path in Sacramento. Yesterday with level 5 of course I averaged 19.1 mph on a 13 mile ride. And I don't even have my legs back yet. Seriously fun stuff. BTW I no longer live in California and am in Oregon. No real bike paths close by so I hit the roads. Its rural so not too much to worry about.

Back