2023 (2024?) Turbo Creo Rumor Thread

Jack Cox

With the new SL 1.2 I am now reconsidering whether or not I go through with a Trek Domane+ SLR purchase or wait for Specialized to update the Creo.

I have a Creo SL from 2020 that has been super reliable, and it has helped me to become fit enough to easily top out the class 3 max of 28 mph. As it has aged, it has even gotten quieter! I have every accessory possible for the bike, and being able to use those on a new machine would be really cool.

I love the bike, but more power (always..lol) and new features would be truly awesome! I am absolutely DREAMING of a Creo SL 1.2 powered bike with the Diverge STR rear suspension set up.

Somebody with inside information tell me it is coming soon! :)

Go on, tell us how you've pimped up the Creo! I love hearing what people do to their bikes based on their fitness, where they live and the kind of riding they enjoy. Especially when the bike becomes a major fitness weapon over time and you adjust things to match the greater fitness.

And likewise I'm curious about the next Creo. And the next Vado SL.

The new Creo would need to something very significant for me to consider a change. If the SL 1.2 fits in the old bike, we know the battery is the same and that would be a awesome upgrade

With the new SL 1.2 I am now reconsidering whether or not I go through with a Trek Domane+ SLR purchase or wait for Specialized to update the Creo.

I have a Creo SL from 2020 that has been super reliable, and it has helped me to become fit enough to easily top out the class 3 max of 28 mph. As it has aged, it has even gotten quieter! I have every accessory possible for the bike, and being able to use those on a new machine would be really cool.

I love the bike, but more power (always..lol) and new features would be truly awesome! I am absolutely DREAMING of a Creo SL 1.2 powered bike with the Diverge STR rear suspension set up.

Somebody with inside information tell me it is coming soon! :)
If you are fit enough to easily top a Creo out at 28 mph, you might consider Trek Domane or a Specialized Roubaix. You don't need the motor.

Seems pretty unlikely, but I'd much rather plug the new motor into my existing Creo than sell it for a new one. Love this thing!

As far as what's been done to it, it's the aluminum road model, replaced the 46 tooth chainring with a 42, 700x42 Pathfinder Sports, and most recently added the Road Remotes (love em) and a Range Extender (not really needed normally since you can spend a lot of time with the motor off). However, there is the complete abolishment of range anxiety with the extender on board, and I can routinely charge that one up and not have to charge the main battery so often.

Why is it, though, that the extender always runs out of juice and cuts back the power at the point in the ride that you most need it?

@Jack Cox it’d make sense that there will be a new Creo with a 1.2 motor, the only question is when and what other changes they will make to it. My guess is they’ll retain the E5 with a 1.1 motor and put the 1.2 in the carbon frames.

IMHO the wise person waits until the new Creo is released before making a decision. Don’t buy on rumor/vaporbike.

Also IMHO the wise & patient person avoids buying early production of any new motor, and ideally waits until the second year. :cool:

@Saratoga Dave Ha! 700x42 Pathfinder Sports and Road Remotes were the first two things I put on my E5.

Last edited:
I only wonder how comes so many people there believe they could buy a new SL 1.2 motor as a replacement of the SL 1.1. Specialized should be crazy to offer that as it would cannibalize its new e-bike sales. I agree with @gpburdell the SL 1.2 would be put on the expensive carbon Creos to generate more sales of more expensive e-bikes (same as it is with the new Levo SL).

The beauty of the SL 1.1 system -- from the customer perspective -- was the single motor type could serve all SL e-bikes. Specialized could not create a big range of different models with different motors to promote the sales of the expensive SL e-bikes. There are three different full-power Specialized motors that's why there is Vado 3.0, 4.0, and 5.0. While there only was Vado SL 4.0 or Vado 5.0. Now, Specialized can differentiate differently priced SL e-bike models not only based on the frame material and componentry but also by the motor model.

Last edited:
I agree that it will be unlikely Specialized will offer 1.2 as upgrade, but these motor will appear on Ebay and the like. It is know first will they fit and second will they work. I am sure someone will try early door and give us that answer. Bit like the Mastermind TCU on older bikes if you can find one.

I agree that it will be unlikely Specialized will offer 1.2 as upgrade, but these motor will appear on Ebay and the like. It is know first will they fit and second will they work. I am sure someone will try early door and give us that answer.
Can you buy a new Specialized 2.2 motor on eBay?
Bit like the Mastermind TCU on older bikes if you can find one.
Have not heard of anyone who got the Mastermind in aftermarket.

I only wonder how comes so many people there believe they could buy a new SL 1.2 motor as a replacement of the SL 1.1. Specialized should be crazy to offer that as it would cannibalize its new e-bike sales. I agree with @gpburdell the SL 1.2 would be put on the expensive carbon Creos to generate more sales of more expensive e-bikes (same as it is with the new Levo SL).

The beauty of the SL 1.1 system -- from the customer perspective -- was the single motor type could serve all SL e-bikes. Specialized could not create a big range of different models with different motors to promote the sales of the expensive SL e-bikes. There are three different full-power Specialized motors that's why there is Vado 3.0, 4.0, and 5.0. While there only was Vado SL 4.0 or Vado 5.0. Now, Specialized can differentiate differently priced SL e-bike models not only based on the frame material and componentry but also by the motor model.

Lots of dealers asked at last weeks sl1.2 release, they all got the same answer - YES , it's eventually going to be available to be put in 1.1 bikes, but only when they have enough available . No eta given, but when I discussed my expectation that I'd be looking some time next year, my lbs chuckled and said " good luck"

As for a 1.2 creo rumour thread - take a look at post 1 on thislevo sl 1.2 thread https://www.emtbforums.com/threads/levo-sl-2023-megathread.26526/page-49#post-475084
Jan 2022 ....promised for may - they were correct, but 12 months early. Don't hold your breath

I saw in early days of the Mastermind TCU that a few Levo owners got hold of one and tried it for backwards compatibility test to find it did work. I have never seen one for sale, only the older LED version on the original Creo.

With the 1.2 motor, Specialized will build the new bikes and keep a stock for warranty claims firsly. If they do offer as an upgrade kit, I would not expect to see this until far end of this year at the soonest

Go on, tell us how you've pimped up the Creo! I love hearing what people do to their bikes based on their fitness, where they live and the kind of riding they enjoy. Especially when the bike becomes a major fitness weapon over time and you adjust things to match the greater fitness.

And likewise I'm curious about the next Creo. And the next Vado SL.
Here is my Creo (it started life as a comp carbon evo) all pimped out:

CreoSL1.jpg
I went full SRAM rival with a nice close ratio cassette in the back, Carbon Terra CLX boost wheels, Specialized Armadillos (I HATE flats) and a wireless dropper. Then I added a smaller 44t chainring, Carbon cranks from Praxis and a range extender. The stock wheels are set up for gravel (with a wider cassette) so I can swap. The alloy bars got replaced with wider ENVE bars, I'm 6'4" (194 cm) so I needed to go wider anyway.

Should have gone for the S-Works from the start - would have been cheaper....LOL!

It has been basically flawless. The TCU did fail (fixed under warranty by the fine folks at Bike Mart) after I got caught in a horrible downpour, but the motor is significantly quieter than day 1. The battery still reports 100% health after 7500 miles and more than 2 years later.

The 100% health figure tells you if the battery is on the expected decline curve. BLEvo is interesting and you need to understand what the actual battery numbers mean or don't mean. It's kind of like when your doctor tells you that you are healthy for your age.

The 100% health figure tells you if the battery is on the expected decline curve. BLEvo is interesting and you need to understand what the actual battery numbers mean or don't mean. It's kind of like when your doctor tells you that you are healthy for your age.
Ah cool - I was thinking that was suspect - guessing from my own range-o-meter I'd say its about 92%. Aging gracefully, but not 100%.

Back