2022 Vado IGH - No Thread?

Gee_Whiz

Just picked up a 2022 Vado 5.0 IGH thanks to the wonderful insight and INSISTENCE 😂 of Mr. Stefan Mikes! He was correct though.. these Vado's are just fantastic! At first, the IGH was kind of throwing me off because the gearing doesn't.. I guess bite down, like a normal shifting bike.. ie at the lowest setting, the pedals still spin when starting up from a stop (which is a great thing when in a low gear from a stop).. but its actually REALLY intuitive and matches your pedals strokes pretty perfectly.. the harder you pedal the stiffer the gearing gets (on the lowest setting), and eco pushes the bike along better than any other bike ive tried. I even rode up a moderate incline with the assist off.. wasn't easy lol but the bike feels more capable riding off motor than other full motor bikes of similar weight that i'd tried. FWIW I would've preferred the standard derailleur to lower the bike weight a bit but none were in stock at Specialized. I also used local delivery to try and support a local LBS since stock locally seems to be nil.

The motor is almost completely silent, but you do hear the gear shifting pretty frequently. It also seems to come stock with a suspension seat post which is pretty cool.

Questions:
Does anyone know if the batteries are no longer pop and unlock? Using the key and lever, this battery doesnt want to seem to come out, and there are 3 screws at the top of the downtube area which look like they may be holding it in place.

Does anyone know how to turn off the rear radar sensor.. its a cool feature to let you know if something is behind you, but it goes off so often in the city and is pretty loud.

Can the lights be turned off or are they daytime running.

IMG_20220322_152015.jpg

Attachments

• 20220322_153253.jpg
    20220322_153253.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 247
  • 20220322_153307.jpg
    20220322_153307.jpg
    558.9 KB · Views: 275
Last edited:
Questions:
Does anyone know if the batteries are no longer pop and unlock? Using the key and lever, this battery doesnt want to seem to come out, and there are 3 screws at the top of the downtube area which look like they may be holding it in place.

Does anyone know how to turn off the rear radar sensor.. its a cool feature to let you know if something is behind you, but it goes off so often in the city and is pretty loud.

Can the lights be turned off or are they daytime running.
congrats on the new bike. battery video

Also check out other specialized university videos for mastermind. Don't remember the exact video but you can turn off beeps thru the tdu settings menu and, if your country allows, the lights thru one of the function buttons (f1 long press I think).

Enjoy the new bike.

My Varia is also a light with radar and has a switch to activate certain modes or OFF. Does the computer unit or controller have any control for it?

Enjoy the new bike.

My Varia is also a light with radar and has a switch to activate certain modes or OFF. Does the computer unit or controller have any control for it?
I can't tell off the bat, but I'm going to watch a few videos and see if some of the buttons are double-mapped

Congrats ! Where are you? I have 1 on deposit in GA , are you in the USA? Can it hold 28 mph or just reach it on ideal conditions?

@Gee_Whiz: So you are an owner of a Specialized SUV e-bike now! Congratulations and welcome to the Club! Many happy miles!

Weight? Just think of how happy you will be not to think of the chain and drivetrain maintenance! And your pants won't get ever stained! (The weight is a small price for the comfort!)

Vado 5.0 IGH is a new thing to me (I have never seen it with my own eyes as the first delivery is expected by the end of April here). Also, I am not very proficient with the Mastermind TCD-w, which I only used once. Not saying anything about the stuff such as Varia. I'll be learning from you this time! :)

I hope you have figured out how to drop and then re-install the battery. Regarding other things, most of the features (like Varia) can certainly be controlled from the Mission Control app.

Lights... Perhaps they can be switched off for the U.S. Anyway, the battery draw for the lights is truly symbolic (trust me). Having the daylight running lights on means a lot for your ride safety. For one, I'm glad my both Spec e-bikes force me to use the lights!

@Gee_Whiz: So you are an owner of a Specialized SUV e-bike now! Congratulations and welcome to the Club! Many happy miles!

Weight? Just think of how happy you will be not to think of the chain and drivetrain maintenance! And your pants won't get ever stained! (The weight is a small price for the comfort!)

Vado 5.0 IGH is a new thing to me (I have never seen it with my own eyes as the first delivery is expected by the end of April here). Also, I am not very proficient with the Mastermind TCD-w, which I only used once. Not saying anything about the stuff such as Varia. I'll be learning from you this time! :)

I hope you have figured out how to drop and then re-install the battery. Regarding other things, most of the features (like Varia) can certainly be controlled from the Mission Control app.

Lights... Perhaps they can be switched off for the U.S. Anyway, the battery draw for the lights is truly symbolic (trust me). Having the daylight running lights on means a lot for your ride safety. For one, I'm glad my both Spec e-bikes force me to use the lights!
Thanks! I'll study hard and report back on any tips and tricks! RE the Weight, its not really noticeable in use imo, seems a bit heavier than the allant +8. I test rode a Vado SL as well and that is a fun, quick, super light bike; Specialized should probably keep the SL motors for commuters/road bikers, and see if a downtuned Brose can be created for a slightly higher powered lightweight trail bike.

@Gee_Whiz

Go to 2:12. From Specialized’s own video you can adjust the radar settings in Mission Control. Not directly through the Mastermind. It shows it fast, not actual directions. So try poking around. But if no luck look up Mission Control app guides and you’ll probably have better luck. You should be able to go to Haptic only if you want (or even sounds/haptics both off).

@Gee_Whiz

Go to 2:12. From Specialized’s own video you can adjust the radar settings in Mission Control. Not directly through the Mastermind. It shows it fast, not actual directions. So try poking around. But if no luck look up Mission Control app guides and you’ll probably have better luck. You should be able to go to Haptic only if you want (or even sounds/haptics both off).
Thanks Oni!

I'm glad you like your bike. I just have a comment on the Garmin Varia radar, which I have as an accesory item that goes with my Edge 1030+. One thing to note is that it only tracks vehicles that are approaching you from behind, including other bikes (when they get close enough). But something riding at your speed disappears from the display, so you don't get warnings from others that are riding with you as a group. Also, if a car comes up behind you and is matching your speed (for instance, waiting for a chance to pass), you will not see it on the display, which is why a mirror is always a good idea. So be aware of that.

On my Edge, when cars are approaching, I see them as a vertical row of dots on one edge of the display, moving from bottom to top as they get closer. They're also color coded depending on the closing speed. Does the TCU have a display like that? I am very impressed that the Varia will pick up an approaching car that I can't see at all in my mirror until it gets closer. I certainly wouldn't ride on the road without it any more.

One unpreventable thing is that I'm often riding on a paved side path that's more than 10 ft from the edge of the road and I'm constantly being pinged by all the cars going by. Gets a bit annoying after a while. :) Still a very impressive product!

Picked up my 2022 Vado 5.0 IGH last week after having it shipped to my LBS, and I agree with everything @Gee_Whiz has said above. I purchased one of the first Turbo S ebikes exactly eight years ago which I have cherished and enjoyed all these years (still rides like new). My experience with that bike and Specialized's customer service made it easy for me to go for this new model with all the latest features. The internal gearing and automatic shifting takes a bit of getting used to but after a week, it feels natural and I love it. I also like the look and design of the new Vado compared to the previous design, especially the battery downtube.

I know most of @Gee_Whiz's questions were answered but here's another go with a few extras:
1) Yes the battery is removeable. There is a hook at the top bracket that holds it in place so the battery doesn't fall down when attempting to remove it with one hand. Just lift slightly from hook and it will come out.
2) Radar beeping can be turned off using the mission control app (just slide beep sound button off). I believe you can also turn radar off completely.
3) Lights can be turned off (both front and rear turn on/off simultaneously) by long pressing the F1 button.
4) Long press the '-' button to reset your time/distance readings to zero for each new trip. They don't restart from zero automatically and keep incrementing every time you ride. There is also an odometer option for total distance travelled.
5) The radar is a great feature but I still rely on my 'Third Eye' mirror for visual confirmation. It's one of the most affordable ($14) and minimalist mirrors on the market (the mirror itself is of a decent size but has a very short stem that inserts into the handlebar). Have it on my Turbo S and decided to install it on my new Vado also.

I would highly recommend watching this YouTube video to better understand how to setup and tune your various power levels (Eco, Sport and Turbo) using Mission Control:

Looking forward to enjoying this bike (hopefully for another 8 years at least :) ).

2022-Vado_IGH.jpeg

Picked up my 2022 Vado 5.0 IGH last week after having it shipped to my LBS, and I agree with everything @Gee_Whiz has said above. I purchased one of the first Turbo S ebikes exactly eight years ago which I have cherished and enjoyed all these years (still rides like new). My experience with that bike and Specialized's customer service made it easy for me to go for this new model with all the latest features. The internal gearing and automatic shifting takes a bit of getting used to but after a week, it feels natural and I love it. I also like the look and design of the new Vado compared to the previous design, especially the battery downtube.

I know most of @Gee_Whiz's questions were answered but here's another go with a few extras:
1) Yes the battery is removeable. There is a hook at the top bracket that holds it in place so the battery doesn't fall down when attempting to remove it with one hand. Just lift slightly from hook and it will come out.
2) Radar beeping can be turned off using the mission control app (just slide beep sound button off). I believe you can also turn radar off completely.
3) Lights can be turned off (both front and rear turn on/off simultaneously) by long pressing the F1 button.
4) Long press the '-' button to reset your time/distance readings to zero for each new trip. They don't restart from zero automatically and keep incrementing every time you ride. There is also an odometer option for total distance travelled.
5) The radar is a great feature but I still rely on my 'Third Eye' mirror for visual confirmation. It's one of the most affordable ($14) and minimalist mirrors on the market (the mirror itself is of a decent size but has a very short stem that inserts into the handlebar). Have it on my Turbo S and decided to install it on my new Vado also.

I would highly recommend watching this YouTube video to better understand how to setup and tune your various power levels (Eco, Sport and Turbo) using Mission Control:

Looking forward to enjoying this bike (hopefully for another 8 years at least :) ).

View attachment 118846
The fastest color! Congrats and enjoy!

@jwdkhan and @Gee_Whiz, I am starting to consider the new Como or Vado with the Enviolo Automatiq for my wife, and so I have a few questions for you if you don't mind ( I am also posting in someone else’s new Vado 5 IGH thread :) )

1. Can you confirm if your Vado 5.0 IGH is the new model with the 2.2 motor that supposedly has 90Nm of torque, if so have you used a Bosch Gen4 CX before and do you have any comparison on the Power / torque difference climbing hills?
  2. Is it the one with the Enviolo AutomatiQ system, where you set a preferred cadence, and the system shifts automatically to keep you at that cadence?
  3. It looks like the bike does not come with the Enviolo Bluetooth handlebar controller but a custom specialized handlebar controller that is supposed to give access to at least the Enviolo preferred cadence setting. If so can you see what cadence is selected on the Display?
  4. Are other Enviolo settings available on the Vado screen, or do you use the Enviolo cellphone app for them?
  5. What size frame do you have?
  6. Assuming you can insert the dropper post all the way down, what is the saddle height (ground to top of saddle) in that lowest position?
  7. How good is the Suspension part of the seat post, does it mostly reacts to large bumps, or also filter smaller ones?
Thank you for any feedback you can provide :)

@jwdkhan and @Gee_Whiz, I am starting to consider the new Como or Vado with the Enviolo Automatiq for my wife, and so I have a few questions for you if you don't mind ( I am also posting in someone else’s new Vado 5 IGH thread :) )

1. Can you confirm if your Vado 5.0 IGH is the new model with the 2.2 motor that supposedly has 90Nm of torque, if so have you used a Bosch Gen4 CX before and do you have any comparison on the Power / torque difference climbing hills?
  2. Is it the one with the Enviolo AutomatiQ system, where you set a preferred cadence, and the system shifts automatically to keep you at that cadence?
  3. It looks like the bike does not come with the Enviolo Bluetooth handlebar controller but a custom specialized handlebar controller that is supposed to give access to at least the Enviolo preferred cadence setting. If so can you see what cadence is selected on the Display?
  4. Are other Enviolo settings available on the Vado screen, or do you use the Enviolo cellphone app for them?
  5. What size frame do you have?
  6. Assuming you can insert the dropper post all the way down, what is the saddle height (ground to top of saddle) in that lowest position?
  7. How good is the Suspension part of the seat post, does it mostly reacts to large bumps, or also filter smaller ones?
Thank you for any feedback you can provide :)
There is only 1 motor choice for each Vado so the new 5.0 is the 2.2 with 90nm. It would be closer (as a class 3) to the Bosch performance line plus at 85 nm I believe. I’ve tested some Vario R&M bikes and to me it felt very similar. When we get another warm spell I’ll measure some hill inclines I’ve tried, but it wasn’t an issue for me.

The Mastermind TCU that comes with it allows you to adjust the cadence. The handlebar remote let’s you adjust that and the support level (as well as more) with the 4 buttons. If you read the manual it will tell you what all the long and short press combinations are. But I know some folks have connected the Enviolo app. I have not tried it yet myself.

All the measurements you seek should be on the website.

As far as suspension post, my wife thinks it’s ok. I never tried it. I immediately put mine in a box and moved my Kinekt post from my other bike over. That plus the air fork make for a super comfy ride.

Back