2022 Vado 5.0 IGH speed issue

More testing…still can’t get top speed same issues. I had it in the graphic of what approximate gear the bike was in and went for a local ride , never got to high gear, the auto shifts stopped 1 short as it feels. Ran Calibration said ok, graphic at the highest level now but felt the same , 1 gear missing .During calibration certainly felt the correct gear was there but never goes that high in regular riding. Ran factory reset tried again same thing but in metric :) No highest gear 87 cadenced still no 45kph. I believe 1 of us the bike or me, Is not working correctly…takeing the Trek today where I can reach almost 29 on flats and still have 1 gear to go..the gear train has been upgraded but the OEM gears could do the same but 1 gear less, hit almost 29 in top gear. I think it is shop time Tuesday when they open next.
For those that know me of course it is the bike I have the worst luck with ebike purchases. Hope I am wrong for once
If you want to test the hub, you can test it manually. Download the Enviolo app, power on the bike, press and hold the white button on the hub and pair it to the app.

You can set the Enviolo to manual shift mode and shift it in increments from your phone. You can force it into the top gear. Just make sure to put it back in auto before you finish or it can stay in manual.

Oni, I will try that thx. I wonder if the hub is “broken” if it would act the same and say it is highest gear and not be even when directly controlled.

If I can’t go 28 by the time I hit a 100 cadence there is something wrong somewhere, either my settings or hardware/firmware not working correctly, valid statement?

No to the UC pro. I have a long term loaner cargo bike with a chain. I have an error on this after the motor was fixed at WattWagons and reinstalled locally with the led on battery showing the red Led and the 1st green led just by installing the battery, that was Sat. Either motor issue or local install error I would assume , looking into this…

If you want to test the hub, you can test it manually. Download the Enviolo app, power on the bike, press and hold the white button on the hub and pair it to the app.

You can set the Enviolo to manual shift mode and shift it in increments from your phone. You can force it into the top gear. Just make sure to put it back in auto before you finish or it can stay in manual.
Yea, "fully automated", as in:
  • The enviolo AUTOMATiQ Internal Gear Hub (IGH) stepless shifting technology automatically shifts gears based on a rider’s pedal pace, taking changes in the surroundings into account. By selecting a preferred cadence or pedal pace, it allows riders to “set it and forget it”, adding an extra layer of safety and comfort for riders.

Thx for confirmation, that is important to me.
Again. I posted on a similar issue a few weeks ago. I was getting slippage in the pedals above 24 mph or so and cadence went up but speed didn’t. Specialized thinks it’s my motor based on symptoms and other claims they’ve received. The sent out a new motor, wiring harness, and speed sensor for me. Everything shipped fast except the harness. They got delayed in testing them before shipping out I guess from what LBS said. So I’ll be getting it replaced soon. If not that, the hub is all that’s left. But they’ve been really responsive (both Specialized and LBS) so I’ll let you know what happens when I get that done.

Just got a 5.0 IGH and having similar issues. From my ride today, a cadence of 72 gets me 20 MPH, 86 gets me 25 MPH, and 103 gets me 28 MPH. Already recalibrated by the LBS, they are going to call Specialized this week to talk over any options. Haven’t tried manually forcing it into the top gear but might do that tomorrow.

Also experienced another issue… major crunching gear slippage (drops down a few gears and almost throws you off the bike) when starting a hard pedal stroke after coasting at high speed. Seems like the bike isn’t expecting a sudden burst of power and tries to downshift way too fast. Still works fine when I’m gentle with it though.

I think I had the slipping once too. When my friend rode it and was comparing it to my thoughts on it it definitely slipped once when he accelerating all out . I saw it happened from behind and confirmed it. I had firmware replaced once and that helped . I think of this bike as a 25 mph bike all is ok . I have a trek Allant with derailure and it is faster in everyday. I would like to compare a Vado with derailure more of and apple to apple fair test.

Just got a 5.0 IGH and having similar issues. From my ride today, a cadence of 72 gets me 20 MPH, 86 gets me 25 MPH, and 103 gets me 28 MPH. Already recalibrated by the LBS, they are going to call Specialized this week to talk over any options. Haven’t tried manually forcing it into the top gear but might do that tomorrow.

Also experienced another issue… major crunching gear slippage (drops down a few gears and almost throws you off the bike) when starting a hard pedal stroke after coasting at high speed. Seems like the bike isn’t expecting a sudden burst of power and tries to downshift way too fast. Still works fine when I’m gentle with it though.
I’ve had the same but it ended up dying on me today.

Ahhhh, this is like reliving my past. I had SO MANY issues of similar nature when I got my IGH way back at the beginning of the year, and now can I see that it wasn't me being a whiner and complainer. As I said, this bike was not fully ready for prime time. Although my enthusiasm and desire were exceedingly beyond anyone's wildest dreams, I was so severely disappointed. Don't get me wrong, others may be totally happy with their acquisition of the IGH, but I wasn't. And just to add, Specialized is a fantastic bike. I have my opinions about their level of "Rider Care" support and the ability of the LBS to service an IGH and have explicit knowledge to address issues with that model. My 2022 Vado 5.0 derailleur model is probably the very best bike I've ever had. Got this one on 6/7/22, and as of today about 1,900 miles. Flawless.

"If it ain't broke don't fix it" :)
Sure. But if it breaks shortly after the return window I will be very frustrated. My experience with most things is they fall into two categories: 1) Stuff that breaks early *and* often 2) stuff that doesn’t break.

It’s the and often that I fear. Which is why I don’t keep things that don’t work right within their return windows. Been burned by that way too many times.

I am not here to pay to be a beta tester. Hopefully my bike isn’t going to be one of those.

If you ordered it on line like me LBS trashed all shipping materials before I picked it up, therefore voiding the return window

If you ordered it on line like me LBS trashed all shipping materials before I picked it up, therefore voiding the return window
That would be Specialized problem not mine. They may force the LBS to buy the bike, but not me. I don’t pay for someone else’s mistakes.

Anyway, I don’t actually want to return it. I also don’t want it to be in the shop every 60 days for a new hub and/or motor. And then, after the two year warranty, what happens?

Sure. But if it breaks shortly after the return window I will be very frustrated. My experience with most things is they fall into two categories: 1) Stuff that breaks early *and* often 2) stuff that doesn’t break.

It’s the and often that I fear. Which is why I don’t keep things that don’t work right within their return windows. Been burned by that way too many times.

I am not here to pay to be a beta tester. Hopefully my bike isn’t going to be one of those.
How easy it to get frustrated by someone else's negative approach (Guru is the leader!) :)
If I listened to so many pessimists in this Forum, my big Vado would be probably dead just from fright by now :) Meanwhile, almost 3 years and well over 13,000 km on the odometer. And another 72 km ride of today.

Back