2022 Vado 4.0 SL cables interfering with headlight, so I flipped it.

veloowl

Region
USA
I don't know if this is just bad cable routing from the shop or what, but I couldn't figure out a way to get the cables to stay out of the way of the headlight while still allowing enough slack for turns, even with cable ties or pushing the cable back into the frame. So I flipped the light from below the stem to above. Looks kinda weird but does this seem like an OK solution? Any other ideas? I could always replace it with a different, bar-mounted light of course. Thanks for any thoughts or feedback.

headlight2.jpg

headlight_1.jpg

Thank you!

It's one of possible options but indeed it looks a little bit strange. I did it another way: Bought a GoPro camera mount, and...
1649170084118.png

...the headlight is now past the cables.

Interestingly this isn't an issue on the 5.0 SL XL frame where the cables do not get in the way. I suspect they use the same length cables on several/all frame sizes.

Here is another gopro mount you might consider - it'd attach to a pair of the stem bolts and could get the light more aligned with the handlebars.

Haven't tried it personally though.

veloowl needs a type of a GoPro mount that:
  • Is easily mounted on the handlebar
  • It has to extend far forward.

veloowl needs a type of a GoPro mount that:
  • Is easily mounted on the handlebar
  • It has to extend far forward.

No, I disagree - there is no specific need for either of your bulleted requirements. Locating the light ahead of the stem would clear the cables just fine, and Lezyne even depicts that light on a similar mount. Flip the mount so the light sits above it, and it'll be located ahead of the handlebar clamp.

I'm sure we can trust @veloowl to make the decision as to what sorts of mount will work best for them, and does not need you to shut down others from making suggestions.

Screenshot 2022-04-05 165755.png

There are even variants that can mount a GoPro (or light) and a Garmin-type computer on the front of the stem. At about £15 - and going by the huge range available - it suggests there's good money to be made in selling these sorts of things. The only thing I'd be concerned about is the quality of the bolts provided. Not the sort of thing you'd want to fail.

Using zip ties is a better solution than mounting above the bars. The Vado SL version of the Lezyne light is modified for Specialized so the lens will project the light correctly onto the path when mounted upside down. The lens has a distinct cutoff to keep from blinding other users on the roads or bike paths.

I broke the headlight mount on my Vado SL. I found the standard Lezyne headlight attachment as a separate replacement part. It attaches to the stem face plate bolts. The standard installation is shown as up but it can also be reversed so the light is upside down. If you google "Lezyne Direct X-Lock system" you can find some other mount kits.

or search Amazon for ASIN number B07DW2MKKL to get a Lezyne kit with Garmin and other attachements for a little more. The knockoff attachments will also work but sometimes you have to try several to get one that works correctly.

I don't know if this is just bad cable routing from the shop or what, but I couldn't figure out a way to get the cables to stay out of the way of the headlight while still allowing enough slack for turns, even with cable ties or pushing the cable back into the frame. So I flipped the light from below the stem to above. Looks kinda weird but does this seem like an OK solution? Any other ideas? I could always replace it with a different, bar-mounted light of course. Thanks for any thoughts or feedback.

View attachment 118896

View attachment 118895

Thank you!
Just picked up a Vado 4 SL, how does the light come off of the stem? Does it just slide out? Many thanks.

Back