2022 Turbo Vado SL - Specs?

Does anyone know if the specs are going to change for the 2022 Turbo Vado SL line?
Given the dearth of bicycle parts and supply chains it’s almost a certainty. However I would surmise it to be a better bike just by the momentum of the technology. The price is another story 😳.

A few days ago, Specialized updated the
Does anyone know if the specs are going to change for the 2022 Turbo Vado SL line?
Here's a guess. The Turbo VADO 5.0 SL EQ specs on the Specialized web site are for 2022 (which is not available.)
Main difference would seem to be going to the Mastermind TCU for the previous TCU, and no mention of a TCD. There is Praxis vs. SRAM chain ring. And there is not a mention of the Future Shock stem.
The seat post diameter is 27.2 instead of 31.8 - don't know if that means a different shim or a different tube?
2022 VADO 5.0 SL EQ step-through Specs

BUT... as always .... "Specifications are subject to change without notice"

Don't know how many of these changes are model year upgrades (TCU?) or reflect availability of parts to specialized. Or if/when the bikes will show availability with any specs.

I just bought a 2021 Vado - not wanting to wait any longer to see what is next!

Jay

The seat post diameter is 27.2 instead of 31.8
Seat-post diameter in Vado SL has always been 27.2 mm.
31.8 mm is the stem diameter.

Do they change the chainring to SRAM, or? Because it has been Praxis.
I agree, the drivetrain swapped for SRAM. (It's going to cost a lot on maintenance!)

Last edited:
Given the dearth of bicycle parts and supply chains it’s almost a certainty. However I would surmise it to be a better bike just by the momentum of the technology. The price is another story 😳.

Seat-post diameter in Vado SL has always been 27.2 mm.
31.8 mm is the stem diameter.

Do they change the chainring to SRAM, or? Because it has been Praxis.
I agree, the drivetrain swapped for SRAM. (It's going to cost a lot on maintenance!)
Thanks. It doesn't make sense that they would change the diameter of the seat post unless they were redesigning the entire bike. My info came from one of the dealers I found when I did a search for "find near me" - and the Seatpost spec they list is below. https://www.bikesourceonline.com/product/specialized-turbo-vado-sl-5.0-eq-step-through-391123-1.htm

I ordered mine on Friday and expect shipment tomorrow. Fingers crossed. I'm pretty sure it will be a 2021. And so long as the seatpost fits the bike, I'll be happy!! : )

So far as the updated TCU - I guess I would have liked that - but I did not want to wait for availability of the bike, and whatever chipset they need to deliver the new TCU. There will always be some kind of new and maybe better technology promised for delivery sometime after tomorrow...... Never be able to upgrade my phone (or computer, or watch, or car) if I was always chasing tomorrow's shiny object.

Your posts have been really helpful, Stefan - and you are a major reason I pulled the trigger on the 5.0 SL EQ ST without agonizing another few months!

Thanks,

Jay

SeatpostSpecialized, alloy, 2-bolt, 12.5mm offset, 30.9mm

Thanks. It doesn't make sense that they would change the diameter of the seat post unless they were redesigning the entire bike.
Sounds like they did at least for the SL - from the specialized website:

SeatPost
Specialized, alloy, 2-bolt, 12.5mm offset, 30.9mm

What’s the benefit/downside of going to SRAM?

Kind of bummed that a new model is out being that I just bought mine a couple of weeks ago. But I don’t care about the mastermind, especially if it resulted in a price bump.

What’s the benefit/downside of going to SRAM?
Benefit: Prestige. Downside: High price.

It is interesting the 12-speed SRAM NX Eagle cassette is 11-50t while the 12-speed Shimano SLX one is 10-45t. The Shimano cassette requires special Micro Spline freehub (to handle the 10t cog) while the 11t cog of the SRAM cassette does not require the special XD Drive freehub.

Last edited:
Reactions: aj1
Sounds like they did at least for the SL - from the specialized website:

SeatPost
Specialized, alloy, 2-bolt, 12.5mm offset, 30.9mm
ST from Specialized US website

1627877915271.png

Specialized (and most other mfrs) rarely puts an actual model year on a bike, and when one "model year" ends and the next begins is totally fluid and might depend on how long it takes them to run through their inventory of parts. So until I see a Vado SL on the Spec web site showing the new TCU and other spec changes, I'm not taking anything for granted as far as what I'm likely to get next February or whenever.

I do find it strange that they would change the seatpost diameter, which involves a lot more than just changing brands of drivetrain components.

I see a Vado SL on the Spec web site showing the new TCU and other spec changes
It is in the Polish site (only the ST), and I was told I could get it in December at earliest.
Interestingly, the spec reads "Mastermind TCU TFT" but the photo shows the older TCU there.

The seatpost diameter is still 27.2 mm. And it makes a lot of sense for a super lightweight e-bike. Why make the tubes big and heavy without a good reason?

Specialized (and most other mfrs) rarely puts an actual model year on a bike, and when one "model year" ends and the next begins is totally fluid and might depend on how long it takes them to run through their inventory of parts. So until I see a Vado SL on the Spec web site showing the new TCU and other spec changes, I'm not taking anything for granted as far as what I'm likely to get next February or whenever.

I do find it strange that they would change the seatpost diameter, which involves a lot more than just changing brands of drivetrain components.
I think it’s country specific, maybe due to parts availability. Here’s updated Turbo Vado SL 5 EQ spec for Japan:

Now I see what you were talking about. On the U.S. site the SL 5.0 Step-Thru is a new model and is already shown with what is apparently the 2022 specs. I would expect the regular SL 5.0s to show this same spec within a couple months after any of the current models are flushed from the pipeline. The 11-50 cassette definitely interests me so I'll hold out for the 2022 model if I can. A 10-tooth sprocket is a really tight wrap for the chain and I don't really expect to do much at max speed anyway.

Now I see what you were talking about. On the U.S. site the SL 5.0 Step-Thru is a new model and is already shown with what is apparently the 2022 specs. I would expect the regular SL 5.0s to show this same spec within a couple months after any of the current models are flushed from the pipeline. The 11-50 cassette definitely interests me so I'll hold out for the 2022 model if I can. A 10-tooth sprocket is a really tight wrap for the chain and I don't really expect to do much at max speed anyway.
The 11-50 12 speed is showing up on some dealer sites for current inventory. I think the spec now and for next year will “be subject to change without notice” depending what Specialized has available at time of build.
Jay

The 11-50 cassette definitely interests me so I'll hold out for the 2022 model if I can. A 10-tooth sprocket is a really tight wrap for the chain and I don't really expect to do much at max speed anyway.
The 11-50t thing is even easier as it can be used without the Micro Spline driver. Not complaining too much, but the MS driver broke at my brother's Trance E+. Shimano Polska has honoured the warranty but it was hard time (even to them) to get the replacement.

The 11-50t thing is even easier as it can be used without the Micro Spline driver. Not complaining too much, but the MS driver broke at my brother's Trance E+. Shimano Polska has honoured the warranty but it was hard time (even to them) to get the replacement.

I've had my 5.0 SL EQ for a bit over two weeks. It came with a 12 speed 11-50 and I will admit to having used the 50 a couple of times. (Conclusion - if you need/want it, its nice to have.) It is not a 2022 model. It does not have the Mastermind TCU, but does have the old TCD and TCU. Jay

Not 10-50t?
Ouch. it is a not a1n 11-50 but a 10-44 or 10-45. Next time I get the wheel off I will count teeth - but definitely not a 50.
So I should be ten percent faster for the same cadence in my highest gear..... and therefore be able to coast up the walls I thought I could climb with the 50 I don't actually have. I'm still happy.
But embarrassed. (I've got a Shimano Deore derailleur. Some builds come with a Sram Eagle - and that can include an 11-50T)

Back