2022 Turbo Vado SL 5.0 Garmin 530 power cadence

My gf @Brix (who stays in London UK) told me the cakes & ice-cream have been the reason of my gaining on weight :) I had to stop eating sweets! Or drink beer!
Really? Eating cakes and ice cream and drinking beer with a nice sausage lead to weight gain. I never knew that!

I road today. It's Cinco de Mayo.

Attachments

• 20220505_184618.jpg
    20220505_184618.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 147
II have tested it out myself today as well.

View attachment 122416
Add Sensors
Speed/Cadence
Power.

View attachment 122417
Cadence (Jacek does need to see Power).

It is as mogulman and rochrunner say. (Wahoo is different, as it only needs the E-Bike Sensor to provide the full functionality).
Please appreciate I have ridden for 42 km to test it out. And to buy salt, sweetener, bread and nespresso in Warsaw :D
I apparently got it figured out or rather fixed as I don't know that I figured anything out.

PXL_20220506_004030509.jpg

Kahn! Everything's working OK? Enjoy the life! Ride on!
What the 'ell. It is 4:41AM in Poland. Do you ever sleep?

I don't know if it is working. It is still raining. But unlike the e-bike page which showed BLANKS for Cadence/Power, this shows values although, non-moving values. I only added two sensors and then the Garmin seem to demand I add a page/screen populated with those new sensor fields and then more - it created a page with 10 fields and would not left me just leave them empty. So I just added stuff! More rain tomorrow and Sat and while Sunday may be nicer, I have the opera. Mozart would not appreciate me missing his opera! (g)

What the 'ell. It is 4:41AM in Poland. Do you ever sleep?

I don't know if it is working. It is still raining. But unlike the e-bike page which showed BLANKS for Cadence/Power, this shows values although, non-moving values. I only added two sensors and then the Garmin seem to demand I add a page/screen populated with those new sensor fields and then more - it created a page with 10 fields and would not left me just leave them empty. So I just added stuff! More rain tomorrow and Sat and while Sunday may be nicer, I have the opera. Mozart would not appreciate me missing his opera! (g)

I ignored those messages because I knew I had the fields already setup the way I wanted. It still worked.

I ignored those messages because I knew I had the fields already setup the way I wanted. It still worked.
I don't know if 3s Power in Watts is what I want to display?? I had already had an e-bike page setup but that showed blanks. But I don't think that I looked after "adding" the new sensors again. I will have to look when I get an opportunity.

I don't know if 3s Power in Watts is what I want to display?? I had already had an e-bike page setup but that showed blanks. But I don't think that I looked after "adding" the new sensors again. I will have to look when I get an opportunity.

3s power means it averages the last 3 seconds worth of readings and displays the average; the bike might report every second, so basically it's smoothing the data out in three second intervals. power data is kind of spiky and erratic because the bike/meter has to take into account speed, which can only be measured however often the sensor senses rotation, and torque, which is super variable as you bounce around on the pedals. so most people smooth it out a bit. 3 seconds is a good short interval to represent "how hard am i pedaling right now."

personally, on my "power page" i show instantaneous power (no smoothing), 10s power (the reading shown is the average of the last 10 seconds worth of readings), average power for the lap, average power for the ride, and left/ride power balance. which fields you'll have to choose from depends on the bike and the computer.

Last edited:
@kahn: You can put your Garmin in the front of you, raise the rear of your Creo a little, and pedal the bike by hand :) That's what we did with Jacek :)

I wonder if anyone knows whether it is possible to configure the Garmin eBike sensor (on an Edge 1030+) to display bike [ a TV SL 5.0] battery charge & motor assist level BUT also to have the Garmin use its own GPS for speed sensing (so the Garmin does not use the bikes inbuilt speed sensor). Whatever I try I can't achieve this - it seems bike measured speed is always used whenever the eBike sensor is active.

I wonder if anyone knows whether it is possible to configure the Garmin eBike sensor (on an Edge 1030+) to display bike [ a TV SL 5.0] battery charge & motor assist level BUT also to have the Garmin use its own GPS for speed sensing (so the Garmin does not use the bikes inbuilt speed sensor). Whatever I try I can't achieve this - it seems bike measured speed is always used whenever the eBike sensor is active.
You can put the Speed/Cadence sensor in the Auto mode for the Wheel Circumference. As Garmin does not know the WhC in this case, it will only use its own GPS.

Why wouldn't you use the bike's speed? It should be more accurate than the GPS. Assuming you measure the wheel circumference.

You can put the Speed/Cadence sensor in the Auto mode for the Wheel Circumference. As Garmin does not know the WhC in this case, it will only use its own GPS.
It seems not. Auto or Manual - it still uses bike reported speed (not GPS measured).
Why wouldn't you use the bike's speed? It should be more accurate than the GPS. Assuming you measure the wheel circumference.
Probably it is more accurate. I've (unknowingly) been using this mode since I got the bike. However I discovered that if you press the 'Walk' button whilst riding then the bike assumes you must be stationary and triggers a lap pause event on the Garmin (reported speed drops to zero & is below pause threshold). I've only recently started pressing Walk whilst riding - simple reason: Peartune!! @Stefan Mikes will understand.

Penny: My brother Jacek strongly disagrees with you.

Please set the Wheel Circumference to Auto. Then switch the e-bike off and walk it: you will see the GPS speed reported. However, giving a value to Wheel Circumference will get the rear wheel RPM from the e-bike speed sensor and use it :) Garmin or Wahoo never take the face value of "speed". Either the GPS readout, or the wheel rotational speed times the Wheel Circumference is used.

P.S. It is even more evident for my "big" Vado. When I used narrower tyres in that e-bike, the TCD-w reported speed was always much too high, and the distance ridden value was highly overestimated. With the proper Wheel Circumference in Wahoo, the GPS computer was reporting e-bike speed and distance in good agreement with Strava and smartphone GPS. You can even compare your speed to a roadside radar!

Last edited:
Why wouldn't you use the bike's speed? It should be more accurate than the GPS.
It's not unless the wheel circumference is set properly (in Garmin, because we do not care what is set inside the e-bike). However, the wheel circumference varies even with the inflation pressure! And how do you calibrate the Wheel Circumference? By comparing your ride data to Strava (Correct Distance/Revert Distance option). The accuracy is always down to the map unless you make circles on a road segment :)

Please set the Wheel Circumference to Auto. Then switch the e-bike off and walk it: you will see the GPS speed reported.
Correct, however the moment the bike is switched on and the sensor pairs then it reverts to eBike reported speed - the wheel size setting of Auto or Manual (changing to 10 or 9999mm) seems to make no noticeable difference to the behaviour. Never mind, I can just disable the sensor if I decide to press Walk!

Back