2022 Trek 8s First 1000 miles review

Sefutau2020

Region
USA
City
Northern VA
This is my personal opinion of the 2022 Trek 8s, after 1000 miles of ownership. I think the bike is sturdy, well built, and a blast to ride. Although the motor is strong, and surges forward even in Eco mode, it doesn’t coast as well as I think it should, and it seems the speed cuts out at 26.5 mph. The cutout is abrupt, and not gradual as is witnessed when I ride my Vado 4. The motor is noisy, but you get used to it, and the wind masks a lot of it when riding at a good clip. In Sport and Turbo mode, this thing can get away from you if you are not careful…..the motor continues to give torque and never feels slow. I consistently can get 100 miles on a full charge. Longest ride to date is 67 miles (all in Eco), including long stretches of uphill riding. I returned home with 32% battery left, averaging 15 mph. Average cadence was 81 rpm. Testing Sport mode only, gives about 30 miles, averaging 21 mph. I have not tested Turbo yet, but I feel it would be around 15 miles, maybe 20.

What I don’t like about this bike is the Cobi App/phone holder setup. This was not well thought out to me. Specialized and Giant have far superior rider control units, and allow ANT, which Bosch/Trek don’t. I ride with a Garmin 1030 plus, and ditched the Cobi app. The rack is also a ridiculous thing. Why someone would think that on a commuter bike, owners would never use a trunk bag? It is just weird, and it takes away from the bike. I also don’t like the fact that you CAN’T turn your lights off and on when you feel like it, without taking it to the LBS. I tried that with mine, and they were unable to help me (I think they need training, because I understand this can be done by a dealer), but anyway….this also takes away from the bike. Overall, would I purchase the 8s again? No, not in the current setup. The rack I can forgive, but the Cobi app/phone thingamajig I cannot.

Problems to date: ZERO J

Trek Allant 8s (mileage 1089)

Pros:
  • Fast and powerful
  • Well built and sturdy
  • Handling
  • Comfortable
  • Great range
Cons:
  • Loud motor
  • Slow battery charging
  • Cobi App
  • Head unit/phone holder
  • Rear rack

Your review is spot on. A good bike badly marred by a bizarre rear rack and a ridiculous phone mount/interface.

A cobi.bike app update this spring broke some of the functionality, which pushed me over the edge. I upgraded to Nyon. Best move I've made, but sad that it costs so much.

Your review is spot on. A good bike badly marred by a bizarre rear rack and a ridiculous phone mount/interface.

A cobi.bike app update this spring broke some of the functionality, which pushed me over the edge. I upgraded to Nyon. Best move I've made, but sad that it costs so much.
Thanks.....I looked at upgrading, but the cost and the LBS's lack of confidence in doing the work, made me shy away from that option. I am fine using the Garmin.... This bike should last a long time though...motor pulls like a freight train...lol.

I’ve also noticed the weird rear rack on those. I Can’t figure out what they were thinking, I have a Verve 3 and they put a normal rack on it, that’s probably what you need. My Verve is a Class I so it’s suppose to cut out at 20 mph but does so at 19.4 mph, but mine seems more gradual.

I think the coasting thing is just the feel. If I’m running in turbo I notice it but in eco I don’t. I think you get used to your motor boosting you along and when you stop pedaling it has the feel of dragging you down. I think it’s just the lack of electric assist you feel. Your motor is more powerful than mine so I suspect that affect is more noticeable.

Nice review and it seems spot on from what I know.

I’ve also noticed the weird rear rack on those. I Can’t figure out what they were thinking, I have a Verve 3 and they put a normal rack on it, that’s probably what you need. My Verve is a Class I so it’s suppose to cut out at 20 mph but does so at 19.4 mph, but mine seems more gradual.

I think the coasting thing is just the feel. If I’m running in turbo I notice it but in eco I don’t. I think you get used to your motor boosting you along and when you stop pedaling it has the feel of dragging you down. I think it’s just the lack of electric assist you feel. Your motor is more powerful than mine so I suspect that affect is more noticeable.

Nice review and it seems spot on from what I know.
Thanks for the response. A first I thought it was the lack of assist at high speed, but I do own a '22 Vado 4, which has 70 nm of torque. On identical rides, the Vado coasts noticeably faster. I don't feel the motor cut out until it is at 28 mph, and it is more gradual and natural feeling. My favorite downhill test yields 32.3 for the Trek, and 34.5 for the Vado 4. The Trek is definitely the stronger of the two, and in the highest assist modes....the Vado 4 would not be able to keep up. Thanks again.......

Thanks.....I looked at upgrading, but the cost and the LBS's lack of confidence in doing the work, made me shy away from that option. I am fine using the Garmin.... This bike should last a long time though...motor pulls like a freight train...lol.
It's easy to convert from the smartphone hub to Nyon. You don't need to change any wiring, just change mounts and move connectors from the hub to the Nyon mount. Removing the connectors from the hub is the tricky part, but only if you don't remove the metal plate. If I were to do it again, it might take 15 minutes.

Slow charging? Bosch is fast charging 4 amps is about as fast as it gets. no complaints compared to everyone else. Bosch has never been quiet so thats just the way it is.

This is my personal opinion of the 2022 Trek 8s, after 1000 miles of ownership. I think the bike is sturdy, well built, and a blast to ride. Although the motor is strong, and surges forward even in Eco mode, it doesn’t coast as well as I think it should, and it seems the speed cuts out at 26.5 mph. The cutout is abrupt, and not gradual as is witnessed when I ride my Vado 4. The motor is noisy, but you get used to it, and the wind masks a lot of it when riding at a good clip. In Sport and Turbo mode, this thing can get away from you if you are not careful…..the motor continues to give torque and never feels slow. I consistently can get 100 miles on a full charge. Longest ride to date is 67 miles (all in Eco), including long stretches of uphill riding. I returned home with 32% battery left, averaging 15 mph. Average cadence was 81 rpm. Testing Sport mode only, gives about 30 miles, averaging 21 mph. I have not tested Turbo yet, but I feel it would be around 15 miles, maybe 20.

What I don’t like about this bike is the Cobi App/phone holder setup. This was not well thought out to me. Specialized and Giant have far superior rider control units, and allow ANT, which Bosch/Trek don’t. I ride with a Garmin 1030 plus, and ditched the Cobi app. The rack is also a ridiculous thing. Why someone would think that on a commuter bike, owners would never use a trunk bag? It is just weird, and it takes away from the bike. I also don’t like the fact that you CAN’T turn your lights off and on when you feel like it, without taking it to the LBS. I tried that with mine, and they were unable to help me (I think they need training, because I understand this can be done by a dealer), but anyway….this also takes away from the bike. Overall, would I purchase the 8s again? No, not in the current setup. The rack I can forgive, but the Cobi app/phone thingamajig I cannot.

Problems to date: ZERO J

Trek Allant 8s (mileage 1089)

Pros:
  • Fast and powerful
  • Well built and sturdy
  • Handling
  • Comfortable
  • Great range
Cons:
  • Loud motor
  • Slow battery charging
  • Cobi App
  • Head unit/phone holder
  • Rear rack
Funny you mentioned coasting . Just yesterday me on my Vado 4 and another on his 2022 Trek 8s like yours . Road to a speed of 25mph . Then let off to coast . I slowly crept slightly ahead . Yet ended up coasting 50 yards farther then him before we stopped . This was also going down a gradual hill in an attempt to make his 20 lb weight over me even out .

Funny you mentioned coasting . Just yesterday me on my Vado 4 and another on his 2022 Trek 8s like yours . Road to a speed of 25mph . Then let off to coast . I slowly crept slightly ahead . Yet ended up coasting 50 yards farther then him before we stopped . This was also going down a gradual hill in an attempt to make his 20 lb weight over me even out .
Excellent...I know I was not imagining this. Whatever Specialized is doing with engineering, geometry, and that famed wind tunnel...it is apparently working...not just in the lab. Thanks

those trek tires have a lot of resistance. my bulls with the gen 2 Bosch but 1.5" tires accelerates far faster then the trek. overall I average a higher speed too. those far tires come at a cost.

those trek tires have a lot of resistance. my bulls with the gen 2 Bosch but 1.5" tires accelerates far faster then the trek. overall I average a higher speed too. those far tires come at a cost.
I ride with Schwalbe Super Moto X's 2.4 on both the Vado 4 and Trek....and the Vado coasts better...in fact, on my downhill test, it is the faster than the Trek...same tires and rider... :)

I ride with Schwalbe Super Moto X's 2.4 on both the Vado 4 and Trek....and the Vado coasts better...in fact, on my downhill test, it is the faster than the Trek...same tires and rider... :)

so its either a psi issue the tires are not exactly the same or a aerodynamic issue (or you went to a all you can eat place before riding the vado :p) I had a long wheel base recumbent with a fairing and I testedthe rolling resisance between tires and psi often and it does not take much tire pressure to knock off a few mph. the bearings in the hubs will not make a difference unless they are worn out on one wheelset.

It's easy to convert from the smartphone hub to Nyon. You don't need to change any wiring, just change mounts and move connectors from the hub to the Nyon mount. Removing the connectors from the hub is the tricky part, but only if you don't remove the metal plate. If I were to do it again, it might take 15 minutes.
Thanks....much appreciated.....definitely considering that option.

Back