2022 Rize Models - Thoughts/Comments/Experiences From Owners

SpartyOn11

Region
USA
Starting this thread to capture thoughts, comments, and experiences from owners of the new 2021 Rize models. All models are welcome as long as they are the new 2021 models or the discussion is comparing the 2021 model to a previous model or another comparable bike. Hoping this can be a place for prospective buyers to learn more about people's experiences and help them make their decision.

FWIW: My 2 Rize RXs just got delivered yesterday (9/26/21). I hope to post my thoughts in a couple weeks.

I received my bike yesterday, and I notice the speed limit cannot be changed. I also notice there is no way to set power output per level of PAS. I feel like I'm getting too much assist in level 1 and I'd like to lower the output

I received my bike yesterday, and I notice the speed limit cannot be changed. I also notice there is no way to set power output per level of PAS. I feel like I'm getting too much assist in level 1 and I'd like to lower the output
Too aggressive a start and too much assist are both common complaints with the Bafang factory programming. If you haven't read up on it yet, suggest you go to the Bafang user forum here and look into notes regarding CANBUS, which is the programming format used on the 2021 Bafang motors.

Too aggressive a start and too much assist are both common complaints with the Bafang factory programming. If you haven't read up on it yet, suggest you go to the Bafang user forum here and look into notes regarding CANBUS, which is the programming format used on the 2021 Bafang motors.
Thanks

I really hope somebody gets something working soon. That's going to be key to the popularity of this and the other Bafang mid-drives.

I also agree with another comment about looking into programming the motor. It seems you can do a lot with a programming cable. I did change my PAS levels from 5 to 9. Not sure if it really matters or not to have 9 levels versus 5.

IMG-7866.jpg
IMG-7867.jpg
IMG-7869.jpg
IMG-7870.jpg
IMG-7872.jpg
IMG-7876.jpg
IMG-7877.jpg

I received my 2 RXs. I really like both of the colors. The silver is much better than I was expecting. No issues with anything except the silver one had a chipped screen. I have to call Rize to ask for a replacement. I do agree with someone who said there is a lot of assist even on level 1. I guess gears 1-6 are really only for hills. I find myself constantly riding in 7-8-9. Granted, I have not hit any major hills yet. One question I do have is if it matters what gear I am in when I am starting from a stop? Do I have to gear down before stopping all the time? It seems like it leaves just fine from a stop in gear 5+ but not sure how it affects the drivetrain

Also.... I really do not like the front headlight. I wonder if it can be changed out and how hard it is to do? It is okay and probably alright if you just want something people can see but it is not great for pitch black (no street light) riding. It is too focused for me.

Also.... I really do not like the front headlight. I wonder if it can be changed out and how hard it is to do? It is okay and probably alright if you just want something people can see but it is not great for pitch black (no street light) riding. It is too focused for me.
There is a pretty low 6v output limit on the Bafang headlight plug, so there are issues with trying to add a really powerful headlight via the stock plug. Since my last gen model has the USB outlet on the battery, I use one of these as a supplement for trail and dark/rainy night riding. The one thing the stock light does well is that it has a good horizon cutoff, so it won't blind oncoming riders/pedestrians. I use the other light on my handlebar as a set of "brights", and it does a better job of giving a nice wide intermediate beam and has 3 brightness settings.

It's also worth noting that if you have the USB plug on the display only, it's limited to 5V 0.5amp, so you can't run a decent headlight off of it. Slow phone charge only...

Last edited:
I received my 2 RXs. I really like both of the colors. The silver is much better than I was expecting. No issues with anything except the silver one had a chipped screen. I have to call Rize to ask for a replacement. I do agree with someone who said there is a lot of assist even on level 1. I guess gears 1-6 are really only for hills. I find myself constantly riding in 7-8-9. Granted, I have not hit any major hills yet. One question I do have is if it matters what gear I am in when I am starting from a stop? Do I have to gear down before stopping all the time? It seems like it leaves just fine from a stop in gear 5+ but not sure how it affects the drivetrain
This is about the load on the electronics and the size of the sprockets. If you monitor how many watts you are pulling when accelerating from a stop, and keep that number within reason (200-250w or less?) my feeling is you aren't hurting a thing no matter what gear you are in.

From a hardware standpoint, minimizing wear, the chain is driving the wheel through more or less teeth on the rear sprocket, depending on what gear you are in. The more teeth you can spread that starting load over, the less strain you are putting on each tooth, and wear will be decreased if using more teeth. What you would want to avoid is taking off with gusto in 8th or 9th gear. The torque monster motor you have will eat them quickly because there are so few teeth to spread that starting load across.

Congrats on the great looking bikes!

This is about the load on the electronics and the size of the sprockets. If you monitor how many watts you are pulling when accelerating from a stop, and keep that number within reason (200-250w or less?) my feeling is you aren't hurting a thing no matter what gear you are in.

From a hardware standpoint, minimizing wear, the chain is driving the wheel through more or less teeth on the rear sprocket, depending on what gear you are in. The more teeth you can spread that starting load over, the less strain you are putting on each tooth, and wear will be decreased if using more teeth. What you would want to avoid is taking off with gusto in 8th or 9th gear. The torque monster motor you have will eat them quickly because there are so few teeth to spread that starting load across.

Congrats on the great looking bikes!
Thanks @AHicks. I think it is impossible to keep it between 200-250w. I start in gear 3-5 and it is always showing around 500 or just below. It also doesn't help that the meter starts around 500 and it is hard to see anything less than 500w.

Rize RX 2021 - First Impressions

I just went for my first decent ride on my Rize RX (2021). It should be noted this is my first ebike. I rode a couple of Bulls bikes, some Aventons, and a Reise and Muller in the past just as test rides. I did change the PAS levels from max 5 to max 9. Not sure if that matters but it is good to know for this post. I rode a total of about 17 miles mostly in level 3. I did go to max PAS just for about 1 minute to see what it felt like but dialed it back for the entire ride. I did use the throttle intermittently while riding but was very careful to not over do it with the throttle. I mostly rode in gear 8-9 but was sure to start from a stop in gear 5-6. I would say overall everything was good. I do have some thoughts / concerns listed below:
  • It really gets up and going. I cannot imagine riding in the max or upper PAS levels. In PAS 3 (out of 9) and in gear 9, I maintained a speed of around 26-27mph. The one time I went to max PAS i was able to get to 35-36mph before i slowed down
  • I do not have a lot of massive hills by me but I can't imagine the need for gears 1-5. The hills I did ride, I never dropped below gear 6. I find myself using gears 6-9 all the time with most of the riding being in gear 8 or 9
  • I am concerned with the range of the bike. Under the conditions state above, I barely made it back home (17 miles total). For about the last 4-5 miles it felt like the motor was not really assisting and I could tell I was pedaling a 70+ lb bicycle. I was expecting around 30 miles and I thought I was being conservative at level 3 with minimal throttle
  • There is a very strange noise i noticed coming from the motor. I know what a typical ebike motor whine sounds like and this is not it. At first I thought it was a brake pad rubbing on the wheel but noticed the noise only comes when pedaling and the motor is working. If you coast and the motor stops, the noise is not present. The best way I can describe it is this: If you have ever ridden a manual bike with brake pads (not disc brakes) and the pad was poorly adjusted causing it to rub on the rim periodically, that is what it sounds like. I tried to get a video on my phone but it is hard to hear. Listen for the faint noise behind the motor whine. Here are two videos. Be sure to click the video to open Imgur and see the second video.

Well, just my two cents on your concerns:

1. Battery range does not surprise me unfortunately. I'm not sure why Rize went down to a 15ah battery, as that's quite small for the Ultra. It is a battery hog. I have the 19ah battery on last years RX Pro, and in PAS 3 I get as low as 15 miles (25kms) in cool weather, up to 25miles (40kms) in warm weather and ideal conditions (To 20% battery, where power begins to obviously drop off). I can stretch that a little if I run very conservative and just use PAS 2 with a tiny bit of throttle on hills only, but I don't ever hope for more than 30miles. By comparison, my Rize X (750w hub) does at least 50% percent better, and 70kms is easy at PAS 3 and one battery. I carry a second battery on the RX Pro for day rides so I can get at least 70kms without any range anxiety.

2. It is geared lower than most need. In stock dress I also never used anything below 3 and spent a lot of time in 8 & 9. I wanted to be able to contribute more pedaling at higher speed, so I swapped in a 49T front chainring and that shifted my gears about 2 cogs. I now seldom use 9 below 50km/h, but I use 2 and 3 regularly to get going, really steep hills, and for tight single track trails. That range works better for my use, and I still don't need 1.

3. My Ultra motor also makes that slight intermittent rubbing sound, but I couldn't find any obvious problem and it's at nearly 2000kms with no change/deterioration. I plan to tear it down and re-grease it this winter, so we'll see if I can find anything obvious then. The Ultras are generally know to be noisy due to metal gears - supposedly re-greasing with certain grease (Mobil SHC 100) helps - we'll see... Certainly post up if you find the clear cause.

A couple of things I had with mine in the first couple of months of use last summer included; The right crank arm worked loose twice and was identified by an intermittent clicking - finally tightened the bolt a little over spec and it's held fine since. I found a few trim bolts like fender bracket nuts also worked loose within the first couple hundred kms - all were fine after a good retightening. My taillight wires came out once - was fiddly to fix, but has held since the repair. I did have a short lifespan on my first rear cassette, but I commute hard and fast with a heavy rider and plenty of cargo. I posted a thread on my subsequent modifications, and they have held up fine for 1,500kms with measurable life still left in them so the tweaks worked well. I've made a number of comfort upgrades, but the basic bike is quite reliable and meets my needs well.

So I'd go over all the bolts at the start, and again after the first couple hundred kms before any can escape on you. And experiment with tire air pressure. More pressure improves the rolling resistance up to a point, but there should be no need to max it out.

Also worth noting that the new battery may need a few full charges to balance the cells and realize peak range. Run it down partially and fully charge it 3 or 4 times before making your final range evaluations.

I'll second the vote for that noise being the typical Ultra gear noise. It's generally noticeably quieter at lower speeds/loads, and I think it may be quieter yet when you get a few miles on it (that or you get used to the noise:)). Agree as well that the battery needs several charges run through it to be fully ready to go.

I'm never in too much of a hurry on mine. Generally cruise is PAS 1 (of 5) and about 12mph (10-13mph). We do have some pretty formidable hills to deal with on occasion, and I'm up into PAS 3 using 2nd through 4th gears for those climbs. Then it's back to PAS 1 12mph cruise mode. In those conditions, I'm finding 30 mile range is pretty easy.

I'm sure Marty has heard me say this dozens of times, but it's worth repeating here. Most people, myself included, totally suck when trying to ride an e-bike early on. There MUCH more to it than meets the eye, especially when riding a powerhouse like the Ultra. They capable of using a LOT of power in very short order. That said, they can be surprisingly efficient when the rider gets used to balancing speed and load during the varying conditions that occur on every ride. Keeping the speed down is pretty important for making the battery last longer. My point is, give yourself and the bike a few hundred miles to get to know each other, THEN see what you can get out of a charge. My bet is you'll blow the doors of what you are getting now.... -Al

Leisure Step 2021 mini review.

I took both new Steps out for extended rides to make sure all was good and after 10 or so miles on each they performed great. Had to make some minor adjustments here and there, but nothing major or anything that would give me pause.

The tires, while noisy, are not anywhere as noisy as I thought they would be. They’re not as nimble feeling as hybrid tires, they feel pretty good overall.

Motor noise was nothing that I would consider a problem. It was responsive and powerful, but there was a slight delay before kicking in. Not sure if the Sdr setting would change this (default is 2, range is 0-3).

The saddle isn‘t great, at least for me, but was more comfortable than I expected. Easily remedied though.

I wasn’t sure how I’d like the more upright seating position with the high rise handlebars. Wasn’t much of a problem after rotating forward just a bit. Time will tell if I swap that out for something more aggressive.

The suspension forks are pretty meh. The preload dial on the left doesn’t seem to do anything. They also feel kind of jerky and not smooth at all. I ended up riding with them locked out mostly. I need to ask Rize if the preload dial is supposed to work on these or not. I read somewhere that the 2020’s didn’t do anything either I think.

Overall I’m quite pleased with the decision of going with a fat tire e-bike, both a first for us. I think they‘ll serve us well with what we plan on using them for. The overall experience thus far with Rize has been great.

Rize RX 2021, after a substantial delay in shipping and several false starts (was supposed to be shipped but wasn't, it took a week to leave Rize after the FedEx ticket was raised), it arrived last Saturday. The Box was really banged up and I was expecting the worst. First thing I took out of the box was the front wheel, three bent spokes and I later discovered, a bent front rotor. I thought it was going to be all downhill from here, dreading a bent fork, but in fact, not much else was damaged. A scuff on the pedal and a scratch on the front rim and a bent spring on the cheap bell. So I ignored the bent spokes and spent some time straightening the front rotor, fiddly but not difficult. I got it good enough so it didn't rub and adjusted the brake. The weekend in Montreal was beautiful so I've clocked up close to 200 kms now. Takes a little getting use too. The surge when you set off on one peddle and cock the leg takes a little getting use too, so if I have any sought of down slope I now just set the level to "0". I've set 9 levels and spend most of my time in level 1. In fact today around the old port of Montreal, I just left it on 0 otherwise you get free wheeling then a surge. I've also spent quite a lot of time trying to get the derailleur adjusted (Park Tools has a very good video on this) and its still not perfect through the whole range of 9 gears. But I've had a ball and love patiently working through the teething problems.
Anyway all this to say, I wasn't sure how Rize would respond, re; the warranty and my fiddling around. Maybe would want the front wheel returned and there goes the last of our good weather!! I proposed them sending new spokes and a rotor and they responded yesterday (Thanksgiving delay no doubt) and agreed. Just give them a quote for the labour and they'll sought out the warranty. No quizzing, no BS. They are sending new parts immediately. My regular bike place is not allowed to repair eBikes so will have to find a repair shop that will do the work, but if I can't, I'll do the work myself, not rocket science. So overall, disappointed with the shipping but the bike is fantastic and very pleased with the Rize attitude, support and flexibility. No formal mumbo jumbo.

Attachments

• IMG_1855.JPG
    IMG_1855.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 324
  • IMG_1858.JPG
    IMG_1858.JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG_1865.JPG
    IMG_1865.JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 315
  • RizeRX_2021.JPG
    RizeRX_2021.JPG