2021 Turbo Creo SL Expert EVO - 3 month review

Roaming50

Region
USA
I got my Creo at the end of December and since then I have put on around 700 miles and 27,000 ft of climbing (which is impressive as SE Wisconsin is pretty flat). I'm not a road cyclist and I am a mountain biker first and foremost. This is my initial 3 month review of the bike.

Let me know what I missed and what I should cover in a follow up!

@Roaming50:
I already like your review and will watch it to the end with pleasure!

Currently: I'm at 12:38, when you've finished describing the negatives:
  • Range anxiety: Have you considered a Range Extender or even two?
  • Di2 shifting. I might have not understood but the Creo's TCU offers both Bluetooth and ANT+...
By the way, I love Pathfinder Pro on my Vado SL, too! Yours are 42-622, the most sought size for that model among gravel cyclists!

Do it, Dave!

Artist Drive.jpg

Artist Drive 2.JPG

@Roaming50:
I already like your review and will watch it to the end with pleasure!

Currently: I'm at 12:38, when you've finished describing the negatives:
  • Range anxiety: Have you considered a Range Extender or even two?
  • Di2 shifting. I might have not understood but the Creo's TCU offers both Bluetooth and ANT+...
By the way, I love Pathfinder Pro on my Vado SL, too! Yours are 42-622, the most sought size for that model among gravel cyclists!
I'm considering the range extender.

As to the Di2 system, you are correct that the TCU has ANT+ and BTLE, but the DI2 is a separate system and does not interface with that. As delivered it comes with a USB adapter for charge that can be used to plug into a PC only (not Mac) for set up and reconfiguration for the levers and "secret" buttons; but no ANT+ or BTLE. On my mountain bike I have SRAM AXS and that comes with the ability all built in so I was very disappointed. I don't have a PC so that did not work for me.

For me to make the Di2 communicate to my phone you need to buy the correct module. I ended up getting:
- Shimano Ew-Wu111 Wireless Unit
- Shimano Di2 Ew-Sd50 E-Tube Wires

You can get shorter e-tube wires but that was one that was available in-stock. With this I am able to connect to my phone for programming and it then could also talk to my Garmin Edge 830. I have my Di2 programed so that right levers shift down the cassette (to the right - harder gears) and the left side shifts up the gears (gets easier). The hidden buttons in the hoods are then programmed to shift my Garmin display pages left or right accordingly so I do not have to touch the display while riding.

The other advantage is that the Di2 now displays the gear I'm in and charge status on my Garmin as well. I can analyze how much time I spend in each gear now.

In the end I stripped down my entire cockpit to clean up cable routing, install the blip remotes (behind the drops under the bar) for controlling the power selection and wrap heat shrink tubing around the cables/wires so it is all neat. I installed the wireless unit in the top tube, between the Di2 battery (that's where it is stuffed in the top tube near the seat tube) and the TCU.

@Roaming50:
I've been super surprised at how good they are. They're nice an supple and ride just like a road tire and seem super efficient. They actually worked okay in snow but as soon as it got icy they were lethal and I bought a pair of Schwalbe Winter Marathon Plus studded tires. Those are really draggy and boat anchors but in winter snow and ice I would never ride anything else now. They're phenomenal and allow you to ride outside when otherwise you would be stuck on a trainer and I can't stand those.. I think my battery range dropped like 25% in deep winter with the studded tires.

The Pathfinder Pro will slip out in slick mud but if you can keep your momentum up (pretty easy with the power assist) then you can usually just power through and when outside of the mud the tire will not hold onto it and clears really fast (because there is not much knob).

I am So Close to buying one of these, have coveted them since the day they landed. You get what you pay for, and that 25% off deal currently on is hard to ignore…
It's a good deal at the moment. I don't think there is a huge difference between the 21 and 22 models and for 22 you'll have to wait probably. I would not have bough this at $9750. That's just too much. But at the sale price that is a compelling argument.

I was torn between this and a Canyon Grail:On. The Grail:On was my first choice but the availability of the one I wanted (the one with SRAM Force eTap) kept on slipping. In then end I got lucky at a local bike shop that had the Expert EVO and still had the sale price on it even though it was outside of the pre-christmas sale. They still offered the $2000 off the cost, swapped the brakes around for me (I ride Moto style) and I took it home on December 30. I've been riding it 2 to 3 times a week since through all weather.

It's been fantastic and I don't regret buying it (though I might still get the range extender...)

I've been super surprised at how good they are. They're nice an supple and ride just like a road tire and seem super efficient. They actually worked okay in snow but as soon as it got icy they were lethal and I bought a pair of Schwalbe Winter Marathon Plus studded tires. Those are really draggy and boat anchors but in winter snow and ice I would never ride anything else now. They're phenomenal and allow you to ride outside when otherwise you would be stuck on a trainer and I can't stand those.. I think my battery range dropped like 25% in deep winter with the studded tires.

The Pathfinder Pro will slip out in slick mud but if you can keep your momentum up (pretty easy with the power assist) then you can usually just power through and when outside of the mud the tire will not hold onto it and clears really fast (because there is not much knob).
I totally agree with you on all points!

Pathfinder Pro are darn fast. Whichever tyres I was trying on my Vado SL, I was riding slower than to my liking. With Pathfinder Pro, my Vado SL rides have become far faster and softer. I'm positively shocked how good some tyres can be!

I was riding Marathon Winter Plus, too. The only tyres in the size of your and my interest to make you feel safe on ice! Although I had a single bad crash -- there are situations where no tyre would have helped! It was almost a stationary crash on very rough ice... just by my block of flats.

I was riding Marathon Winter Plus, too. The only tyres in the size of your and my interest to make you feel safe on ice! Although I had a single bad crash -- there are situations where no tyre would have helped! It was almost a stationary crash on very rough ice... just by my block of flats.
On corners I am still super careful. On my studded fat bike this winter and went down hard and (I think) cracked a rib or two. I was very sore for a couple months after that. I learned that studs are only good up to a point. Push it beyond that and nothing will hold you.🤦‍♂️

<<Do it, Dave!>>

Alright, alright… blue/hyper green Creo SL Comp E5 aluminum ordered and on the way. Pics when it lands, supposedly within a week. It will be getting Evo style 38 or 40mm tires right away, and heaven knows what else, but we’re off and running.
You mean one like this:

Creo Back Yard PXL_20210311_231708225.jpg

<<Do it, Dave!>>

Alright, alright… blue/hyper green Creo SL Comp E5 aluminum ordered and on the way. Pics when it lands, supposedly within a week. It will be getting Evo style 38 or 40mm tires right away, and heaven knows what else, but we’re off and running.
👍 And I agree with @Stefan Mikes that bigger is better - we replaced the 700x38 Pathfinder Pro tires on our Creo EVOs with 700x42 shown below. The larger tire can be run at lower pressures and provides more cushion and traction with minimal increase in rolling resistance. For best performance set them up tubeless if the E5 rims allow.
Pathfinder.jpg

If you're planning much off-pavement riding I'd recommend going even bigger. We switched to the Tracer Pro 700x47 which provides even more cush and traction with little rolling penalty.
Tracer.jpg

The pics above in Post #6 show our bikes on the road with the Tracer tires. An example on the dirt is shown below. You can run them hard (`40psi) on the road or soft on the dirt (we're used as low as 24psi). You can see how wide a footprint you can get using low tire pressure.
Creo 20 Mule.jpg

Have fun, and share pics!

Last edited:
👍 And I agree with @Stefan Mikes that bigger is better - we replaced the 700x38 Pathfinder Pro tires on our Creo EVOs with 700x42 shown below. The larger tire can be run at lower pressures and provides more cushion and traction with minimal increase in rolling resistance. For best performance set them up tubeless if the E5 rims allow.
View attachment 118563

If you're planning much off-pavement riding I'd recommend going even bigger. We switched to the Tracer Pro which provides even more cush and traction with little rolling penalty.
View attachment 118564

The pics above in Post #6 show our bikes on the road with the Tracer tires. An example on the dirt is shown below. You can run them hard (`40psi) on the road or soft on the dirt (we're used as low as 24psi). You can see how wide a footprint you can get using low tire pressure.
View attachment 118565

Have fun, and share pics!
Utah?

Hey Kahn, while we’re at it, the wheels on this thing are tubeless ready, is that correct?

Stefan had me thinking about thone Pathfinder Pros, and clearly others here are in favor of them as well. I’m happy to se that 42s will work. Sounds like the way to go.

My Giant ToughRoad E+ will still be around to handle the rough stuff… this one will see more civilized duty, at least for awhile. I have always loved that ToughRoad!

Hey Kahn, while we’re at it, the wheels on this thing are tubeless ready, is that correct?

Stefan had me thinking about thone Pathfinder Pros, and clearly others here are in favor of them as well. I’m happy to se that 42s will work. Sounds like the way to go.

My Giant ToughRoad E+ will still be around to handle the rough stuff… this one will see more civilized duty, at least for awhile. I have always loved that ToughRoad!
I believe that they are. Already provided with the rim tape but you'd need valves. I thought it was shown on their spec page but I don't see it mentioned. But looking up the wheels, sites mention "tubeless ready."

Back