2021 Liv Amiti E+ 2

EmilyRides

I just discovered this model (2021 Liv Amite E+ 2) during my ongoing e-bike research.

When I searched on the Liv site and clicked "Class 3" on the left, this was the only bike that came up. Does anyone know if it is actually a Class 3? On the specification page, I couldn't find any mention of the class or maximum assist level (https://www.liv-cycling.com/us/amiti-eplus-2-2021). It uses a Giant SyncDrive Life motor. I see that the 2020 model, which is an E+ 4), specifically says "Pedal assist support up to 20 mph", but the 2021 doesn't have any information like this. I am looking for a Class 3, which is why I ask.

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Interesting. The same model, here in Canada, has the Syncdrive Sport motor. I am pretty sure the Canadian model is class 1 with a top assisted speed at 20 mph (28kmh). The fact that it's not clearlydefined on either the Canadian or American websites, leads me to believe that they are expecting local jurisdiction rules to be applied by the bike shops.

I've a friend who just bought one of those for his wife. Nice bike!

I think it is Class 1 e-bike. See how badly organised the website is:

1613247540149.png

Class 1 is 20 mph in the U.S. and 32 km/h (the same) in Canada. The Liv site mentions 15 mph, which is Euro speed limit.

The 2020 Liv Thrive E+ EX Pro (28 mph) is Class 3 as it is a female counterpart of Giant Fastroad E+ EX Pro. Here, the 28 mph is explicitly stated. Yet, you would have not found it by the "28 mph" checkbox.

1613248131512.png

A year ago when I was looking at Giant bikes, a dealer who carries all three told me that all the Liv and Momentum bikes were class 1. That may change.

I think it is Class 1 e-bike. See how badly organised the website is:

View attachment 78965
Class 1 is 20 mph in the U.S. and 32 km/h (the same) in Canada. The Liv site mentions 15 mph, which is Euro speed limit.

The 2020 Liv Thrive E+ EX Pro (28 mph) is Class 3 as it is a female counterpart of Giant Fastroad E+ EX Pro. Here, the 28 mph is explicitly stated. Yet, you would have not found it by the "28 mph" checkbox.

View attachment 78966

Thank you @Stefan Mikes ! I noticed that 15 mph checkbox and had no idea what it was about. Poor website design for sure!

I appreciate your pointing out the Thrive E+ EX Pro, since they do explicitly state 28 mph. I have heard good things about Yamaha, so I will take a close look at this one!

A further question: I located a couple of bike shops in my semi-local area that are Liv dealers; however, none of them seem to offer any Liv e-bikes. Do you think that is because of availability issues or is it more likely that they have chosen not to offer e-bikes? I guess a more general question is whether it is better to buy from a dedicated e-bike store or from a dealer of that brand?

Thank you @Stefan Mikes ! I noticed that 15 mph checkbox and had no idea what it was about. Poor website design for sure!

I appreciate your pointing out the Thrive E+ EX Pro, since they do explicitly state 28 mph. I have heard good things about Yamaha, so I will take a close look at this one!

A further question: I located a couple of bike shops in my semi-local area that are Liv dealers; however, none of them seem to offer any Liv e-bikes. Do you think that is because of availability issues or is it more likely that they have chosen not to offer e-bikes? I guess a more general question is whether it is better to buy from a dedicated e-bike store or from a dealer of that brand?
That's a tough call. Sometimes the dealer is more important than the bike. I would contact the dealer(s) and get his thoughts on ebikes ... some just hate them, so stay away.
My LBS isn't even on the electric grid (Amish), but he loves electric bikes, and has a great reputation on manual bikes, and runs solar panels and batteries for the shop, so I bought there anyway. So far, so good.

Yes, what Art Deco said.
Be sure your dealer is familiar with the brand you are seeking, especially the mechanics in the back rooms.
One of my local lbs was slow to get on board the ebike train and they are a major Trek dealer. However within the past couple seasons they have jumped on board, even sending their mechanics to Bosch maintenance seminars.
Please post pics of your new bike!!

Emily, if only possible, try Giant Fastroad E+ EX Pro. I think that the whole Liv talk on "designed by women for women" is just a marketing hype. We have been comparing different Giant/Liv models here at these Forums: the Giant/Liv counterparts seemed to be almost identical. The 2021 Liv Thrive E+ is just very nicely painted!

Important: The 2021 Fastroad E+ and Thrive E+ are equipped with 500 Wh battery while the 2020 models only sport 375 Wh one (which is very little).

What is also quite interesting, the 2021 Thrive is listed as a 28 mph e-bike, and no word on the same for Fastroad! Better ask the dealer.

Not sure about this Liv model, but I can affirm that my 2020 Momentum Transend E+ (Yamaha/Giant SyncDrive Life motor) is class 3.
If they are making class 3s in Momentum, I can't imagine they don't make them in the Liv line as well. They are all Giant parts and just aimed at different market segments. A 20 yo hot dog rider doesn't want the same brand of bike as his grandmother rides is all.

Emily, if only possible, try Giant Fastroad E+ EX Pro. I think that the whole Liv talk on "designed by women for women" is just a marketing hype. We have been comparing different Giant/Liv models here at these Forums: the Giant/Liv counterparts seemed to be almost identical. The 2021 Liv Thrive E+ is just very nicely painted!

Important: The 2021 Fastroad E+ and Thrive E+ are equipped with 500 Wh battery while the 2020 models only sport 375 Wh one (which is very little).

What is also quite interesting, the 2021 Thrive is listed as a 28 mph e-bike, and no word on the same for Fastroad! Better ask the dealer.

Thanks Stefan. Unfortunately, in my case, the difference between Giant and Liv is more than just marketing. I am 5'1", and the smallest size Fastroad is recommended for those 5'3" and up. I really do need a women's (or child-sized!) bike. I've been buying road bikes for years and know this to be true. My size in roadies is 46 or 47 cm, and in MTBs, like a 13".

I definitely want a 500 Wh battery, but I decided that I am not married to Class 3. I thought I wanted Class 3 to keep up with my much-faster husband, but since he'll be riding a non-ebike, I think I'll keep up just fine even with Class 1. He's not a racer, after all, but he's really strong on hills.

Yes, what Art Deco said.
Be sure your dealer is familiar with the brand you are seeking, especially the mechanics in the back rooms.
One of my local lbs was slow to get on board the ebike train and they are a major Trek dealer. However within the past couple seasons they have jumped on board, even sending their mechanics to Bosch maintenance seminars.
Please post pics of your new bike!!

Thanks to everyone who replied here. Strangely, I did not receive email notification after the first couple of posts so stopped checking back. Just thought to do so today!

I'm not likely to get an e-bike this year. Stock is really low, and this is not the best time for me financially to buy. But I'm doing my research now and hoping to hop on the e-bike train maybe this time next year.

My wife just got a 2021 thrive. Definitely class 3. Super nice bike. If you’re 5’-1” I’d definitely look at Liv because they offer XS and Giant doesn’t. I’m 5’-6” and ride a small. My wife is similar in height to me but proportioned differently and loves the fit of her small thrive. Ymmv and all; I’ve know woman riders who like the tweaked geometry of women’s oriented bikes and also known ones who think it’s bunk and just ride whatever. The geometry isn’t *that* different

You’re unlikely to find much in stock; we ordered our thrive back in November and got it this month (so 3 month wait). That actually beat Giants original estimate, which was may-June...

Best of luck.

Yes, as I mentioned above, not in the market this year, so that works to my advantage. Hopefully by 2022, low stock won't be as much of a problem as it was last year and now this year.

Another thing I like about "women's geometry" is that often in my very small size, the cranks are 165s rather than 170. Works better for me. Handlebars are often narrower too.

Thanks Stefan. Unfortunately, in my case, the difference between Giant and Liv is more than just marketing. I am 5'1", and the smallest size Fastroad is recommended for those 5'3" and up. I really do need a women's (or child-sized!) bike. I've been buying road bikes for years and know this to be true. My size in roadies is 46 or 47 cm, and in MTBs, like a 13".

I definitely want a 500 Wh battery, but I decided that I am not married to Class 3. I thought I wanted Class 3 to keep up with my much-faster husband, but since he'll be riding a non-ebike, I think I'll keep up just fine even with Class 1. He's not a racer, after all, but he's really strong on hills.
Hi Emily,
I just took a look at this forum as my research on ebikes has led me to Liv and the Amite E+. And the reason is entirely due to my size which is 5”. So, it seems you are a couple steps ahead of me in the process.
I am curious if you have purchased the Liv bike by now or have come up with a different alternative. Also I noticed the same thing on the Liv website with respect to the class 1 or class 3. It appears the website shows 2 of the same bike but one says “new”. My guess is that the class three will be phased out. I will do some further investigation later on today by giving them a call.
Anyway, I thought I’d reach out on this old post to see if you discovered anything further on this and also I’d love to know where you are in your search because it looks like you were targeting 2022.
Thanks,
Kim

Giant/Liv is annoyingly vague about class 1/class 3 on their website. The 2021 Amite was class 3, so I'd imagine the 2022 would be too but thats something to definitely confirm. It was posted to their website very recently (last week or two) so the info might just not be fully updated. I suspect they import a lot of the product info from the global site, and since they adjust assist speed per local laws for various markets around the world the global site just doesn't say.

The Thrive (which is the Liv version of the Giant Fastroad) is definitely class 3. My wife has one.

Hi Emily,
I just took a look at this forum as my research on ebikes has led me to Liv and the Amite E+. And the reason is entirely due to my size which is 5”. So, it seems you are a couple steps ahead of me in the process.
I am curious if you have purchased the Liv bike by now or have come up with a different alternative. Also I noticed the same thing on the Liv website with respect to the class 1 or class 3. It appears the website shows 2 of the same bike but one says “new”. My guess is that the class three will be phased out. I will do some further investigation later on today by giving them a call.
Anyway, I thought I’d reach out on this old post to see if you discovered anything further on this and also I’d love to know where you are in your search because it looks like you were targeting 2022.
Thanks,
Kim
Hi Kim, I am sorry that I'm just now seeing your post and questions. For some reason I don't receive any emails alerting me to new posts on this forum. Anywho, I had to put the entire e-bike quest on hold, as we were in the process of building a house and then moving, plus caring for our elderly dog who passed away in February. Needless to say, life has been pretty crazy lately. And now I may not even be able to purchase an e-bike until next year since we've spent so much more on the house and items for it than we ever dreamed possible. Sigh...
I am still interested in Liv, but when I checked their website for the first time in months, just yesterday, it seems that almost everything has changed. Now I am eying the Rove E+, a new model that comes in XS. It is a Class 1, but I decided I'm fine with that. Right now I'm riding a non-e road bike but am about 4 mph slower over a 25-mile road course than my hubby, so I really need the "e"! I hope to purchase in the fall or worst case, next spring. They just did a review of the Rove E+ on this site, so if you haven't already bought a bike, you might want to take a look. Supposedly the XS will fit someone 4'11", so it might work for you if you haven't chosen something else already. And if you have, I'd love to know what you did choose!

Back