2021 Giant Roam E+ GTS 1st impressions...

Sefutau2020

Region
USA
City
Northern VA
First impressions of the Giant Roam E+ are that it is a great bike. I liken it to a Dodge Durango SRT. I got rid of two bikes I love, a 2015 Raleigh Willard 2 (my favorite bike of all time) and a 2021 Trek Verve 3, which I had just purchased 3 months prior.

I first used the bike in “auto” mode, which yielded 6.3 miles per bar on the battery meter. The bike is pretty heavy, so I purchased a kickstand (a first for any bike I’ve owned), but well worth it. I also changed out the saddle to Velmia Touring, which makes for additional cushioning in the rear as I go over bumps. This bike is extremely fun and easy to ride. The 700x45c tires, roll well on pavement, and inspire me to ride anywhere. I mostly ride paved trails and on the road. I never ride single track or gravel roads.

Now for the best part. As I have gotten older, well north of 50 years of age, it has been harder to ride the same distances as I once did. Also, hills are really the killer, and in my neighborhood, there are several I have to tackle before I arrive home after a long ride (usually 30 miles). With the Roam, I initially tried the auto mode, which made riding extremely fun, and going up hills was absolutely no problem. It does appear the motor hits a wall at 20 mph and the bike doesn’t seem to coast as well in Auto mode, if you go over the 20 mph limiter. I am fairly an active rider….usually 5 or 6 rides per week. My second ride, I wanted to see how far I could go in Eco mode. For me, being a large frame man, 6’3 and north of 250 lbs, I was able to average 16 miles per bar…consistently. This means, I could ride in Eco Mode for roughly 80 miles. That to me was great. I also noticed in Eco mode, the bike coasted much better down hills, and this will be the mode I ride in. You can definitely get a good workout in Eco Mode. I only notice the boost while going up hills. So for all of the folks that think E-bikes are cheating, I would disagree vehemently. With pedal assist, you still have to pedal to get the bike moving, but I realized something in addition to that, you can go farther, investigating more areas on a ride, without worrying about running out of energy to get home. I hope this helps some folks out there.

For me, Giant hit it out of the park with the 2021 Roam E+ GTS….well done.

A good review Sefutau. I recently bought another model Giant ebike and am pleased as well. I have not tried auto mode as yet and typically ride in eco except for steeper hills when I switch to more assist. The one concern I have is that the bars are a little wide, although I am smaller at 5'7". How do you find the width of your bars?

A good review Sefutau. I recently bought another model Giant ebike and am pleased as well. I have not tried auto mode as yet and typically ride in eco except for steeper hills when I switch to more assist. The one concern I have is that the bars are a little wide, although I am smaller at 5'7". How do you find the width of your bars?
Thanks NovaDave.....the bars seem fine to me. I also have a 2019 Giant Escape Disc 1 XL, and the width seems very similar.

+1 on your review, Sefutau. I bought my 2021 Roam e+ a couple weeks ago. My previous ride was a Giant Anthem 2, all CF FS mountain bike. I used to ride single track and fireroads on it and loved it. And then I blew a tendon over my knee, and that was the end up my MTB riding. Until I picked up this Roam. Love it. We live in a very hilly area, and there are roads in our subdivision I would've never considered attempting to pedal up on my townie. Now I go out on a whim and do "a lap" around the 'hood on my Roam and I'm back before my wife even knew I left. Amazing. Haven't taken it on the trails yet, but I expect I'll do some mild single tracking on it as a diversion from my road loop, as well as some fire roading with some good hills. Game changer for this 60+ years rider.

Congrats Tammin.....you will really enjoy this bike. Having the motor assist makes all the difference in the world. Now I can ride, take all the equipment I want or need, and not have to worry about being loaded down, or tired after a 40 mile ride. Take care and be safe.

Back