2021 Giant fastroad EX pro battery not giving full mileage range

codi

I have owned my bike for just over a month now, 2021 model with the 500kW battery pack. I have only been getting 75 km on a full charge while riding only in ECO mode. Aso cadence of 76 - 85 and all flat so a fairly uniform setting. I should be getting 140 km in that setting. I have just received a reply from our local shop in chilliwack BC ( pedal sports ), a really great shop btw!
Here is the answer I received that I hope will help anyone else with the same concerns:

"It sounds like all the 2021 E-bikes are using a new version of the hardware which requires a new service key and diagnostic software. Giant Global has these coming, but because of covid the distribution has been delayed and they aren't available in Canada yet. Once we get the new diagnostic kit we can do a scan on your bike and get to the bottom of things"

Other then that issue the bike is just fantastic, could not be happier. I love the flat black color, I call it my Harley
Otto

75km is 46.5 miles, which is just under 11whr per mile with a 500whr battery. I consistently use ~11.75 whr per mile on my giant in eco (granted, mostly unpaved and fairly hilly routes, and I weigh 100kilos). Your usage is gonna vary depending on weight, terrain and speed you ride at, but not sure where you’re getting 140km as the range you’re supposed to get. That’s almost 90 miles! Maybe if you’re a light person and run very low assist you could stretch 500whr that far. IME with the full power giant motors, that’s extremely optimistic.

I'd agree that there aren't many single battery bikes getting 140kms out of a charge unless you are in lowest mode and working very hard to squeeze out the miles. Are you sure you aren't looking at the spec for the model with the range extender (second battery)?

Welcome to the form, codi. I lived in Chilliwack for 34 years, before retiring and moving to Vancouver Island. While living in Chilliwack I purchased two bikes from Pedal Sports (original owners).
I can't give you any meaningful advice on your battery mileage, but 75km does seem a bit on the low side, if the ride is mostly in eco.

Where did you get the 140 km number? If it's from Giant, I have yet to see someone get any manufacturer's numbers. Well you can meet the numbers, but people don't ride like that.

And have you balanced your cells a few times as well? You should allow a few long charges (10-12hrs) during the first month or so, and then occasionally after that. Just let the charger do it's thing and go green and stay in monitoring/maintenance mode for several more hours. There are plenty of posts on here about it, but that will also potentially maximize the battery performance as it allows the individual cells to equalize and maintain consistent performance. All cells have minor differences in their charge and discharge rates, and without an occasional balancing (or at least a really good smart charger), a couple of out of sync cells can shut off the charging cycle early.

I use a 2019 Trance E on rolling (but not hilly) terrain mostly on Eco and Eco+ mode on the Giant Syncdrive Pro (which is Yamaha's PWX engine). I occasionally turn off the motor on flat terrain and downhill terrain, but I generally keep it on. I weigh about 94 kg. I bring about 8 kg of cargo on the rack. I can usually get about 60 miles going from 100% to just about 25% on the battery indicators. That's on this full suspension bicycle, with a speed of about 14-15 mph average.

That said, going fast is exponentially more draining on battery charge, so I can imagine the Fastroad only giving 75 km if you're usually going faster than 20 mph. That's more than a reasonable range for that kind of speed.

@codi: Range depends on many factors. One of the very important but often forgotten is the rider's own power input. The other is the ride speed. For me, riding for 75 km on a 500 Wh battery with Giant Trance E+ Pro would be a splendid outcome but what I used to achieve with such a battery was just 64 km. Now, at low temperatures and with stronger winds expect even shorter range.

Everything is fine with your e-bike. You'll discover it in the Spring :)

P.S. Where I can achieve the aforementioned 64 km range, my brother makes 122 km on the same e-bike. He is just a strong man. When he intends to economise on the battery, he's pedalling so strongly he rides above the speed limiter (which turns the motor off).

Last edited:
thanks for all the input everyone!
Regarding where I get the info from ? my EVO display show 137 km range in ECO mode @100 charge.
I have charged the battery 4 times now, full charge as I let it go right down to 2 -3 % each time. I will keep it plugged in a little longer next time as (theemartymac ) suggested.
Height 6' 4" / weight 190 lbs
Have been cruising at 30 km/hr since day one

Last edited:

Welcome to the form, codi. I lived in Chilliwack for 34 years, before retiring and moving to Vancouver Island. While living in Chilliwack I purchased two bikes from Pedal Sports (original owners).
I can't give you any meaningful advice on your battery mileage, but 75km does seem a bit on the low side, if the ride is mostly in eco.
on a side note, my trio plays an instrumental version of Deacon Blues. I re arranged the song as an instrumental which I play solo as well, great tune, Steely Dan was an incredible group

Yeah, if you're 190 and cruising at close to 20mph you're going to eat battery. I get a massive disparity when I ride by myself (average ~17mph) or when I ride with friends on non-e bikes (average ~12mph). High speeds use a lot more power per mile.

The range on the Giant display can be safely ignored. I have no idea how its calculated but IME its hilariously wrong, in every possible way. Best thing to do is track your rides for a bit and figure out where your whr/mile lands and extrapolate from there.

My Bosch and Shimano powered bikes' range estimations are always grossly overestimated. Ironically, my Yamaha powered Haibike is far more accurate, though Giant uses its own programing for its Yamaha system.

my haibike trekking 5.0 in eco + mode, year 2016,PW yamaha 500w ,gives you 198km,

But to move the ebike, you put your strength in order to reach 198 kilometers, with its climbs, with its plains, against the wind y the time.......max 25km/h,4 hours + to 100km

Back