2021 Giant Explorer E+ 2 GTA Review (North American)

st0ut

Region
USA
TL;Dr you dont really need the Bosch performance line.

So after months of research and hmmming and hawing a few weeks ago I got the 2021 Giant Explorer+ 2 GTS. After a shakedown around the neighborhood I had the pleasure of a Nor-Easter and winter 2.0.
Today I was finally able to take it out on a real ride.
Starting battery was at 93% set to active mode. Ride distance 18 miles over rolling hills South eastern New England is my local terrain. no missive hills
On average i was 5-10 MPH faster then on my 2005 fuji touring. The bike turely did flatten out the climbs.. shifting down before the climb starts and leveraging the motor to assist up the hill. on the flats putting out my useual resistance (read watts) I was cruising at 17mph vs 13mph.
What does this mean? My commute of 13 miles each way is going to be doable with the E-bike. #onelesscar

Battery at the end of 18 miles ~50 percent and indicating that it had another 38 miles left.

Me a 50+ year old cyclist far out of his prime days with his Trek 5200 and a love of single malt scotch? I felt like i had more miles in my legs left for the day.

top spped 31Mph
Avg speed 18mph

Congrats on your new ebike.
Great description of the fun of riding an ebike. They are so addictive.
Many miles and smiles to you.

Congratulation on your new ebike @st0ut. I have been aiming at the the same model also but couldn't patience enough to wait for nnext stock coming to Toronto. I picked up the Liv Amiti E+ few days ago. Had the first ride of about 20km in a cold and windy morning and very happy with it. Looking forwards to the warmer weather.

Glad to hear your both pleased. I have been looking at the Giant Explore as a step up from my "fattie" My wife and I both had Giant Sedona's and loved them. Their extensive dealer base seems like a major plus for owning an eBike they market.

Update:

after 250miles the bike is running just fine. avg speed is 18mph while my top speed is 33 mph (downhill (14mph on the climb)).

Grocery getter Check
Commuter Check
used for anything in a 15 mile radius Check

Update:

after 250miles the bike is running just fine. avg speed is 18mph while my top speed is 33 mph (downhill (14mph on the climb)).

Grocery getter Check
Commuter Check
used for anything in a 15 mile radius Check
Greetings. I just purchased a Giant Roam E + GTS, which I love, but I also want a Class 3 bike with the 28mph limiter. How is the battery life on the Explore when you use Eco mode? Thanks.

Greetings. I just purchased a Giant Roam E + GTS, which I love, but I also want a Class 3 bike with the 28mph limiter. How is the battery life on the Explore when you use Eco mode? Thanks.
I have a 2020 Explore E+ STA with the 500W battery. I ride almost exclusively in Eco, and Eco+ on steeper hills, and the battery readout indicates a range of 150 kms. I recently completed a 100 km loop in Eco and Eco+ modes, and had 20% battery left.

I have a 2020 Explore E+ STA with the 500W battery. I ride almost exclusively in Eco, and Eco+ on steeper hills, and the battery readout indicates a range of 150 kms. I recently completed a 100 km loop in Eco and Eco+ modes, and had 20% battery left.
Awesome....thanks for the reply. Take care and happy riding.

Since i wrote that I am up to 650+ miles.

TBH i dont use eco. If I have a ride that is 25 miles (40 KM) + i bring the charger with me. But I am getting lighter losing weight getting stronger. Can you sip in eco sure. I did it once on a ride where I was down to 15 miles and still had 4 to go.
I found after 500 miles I was puncturing LOT. just added Schwalbe marathon GT365s.

Sorry I cant answer your question more directly.

Congratulation on your new ebike @st0ut. I have been aiming at the the same model also but couldn't patience enough to wait for nnext stock coming to Toronto. I picked up the Liv Amiti E+ few days ago. Had the first ride of about 20km in a cold and windy morning and very happy with it. Looking forwards to the warmer weather.
Hi Cat
Did you pick up the 2021 model with the missing integrated running light (built into tube head)?
If so I’m possibly looking into picking one up neXt week. But also need it to do a bit of off road riding on varied terrained firetrails but NOT planning to do any fancy technical mtb trails... just slight gradients (slope), gravelly slightly stony (surface). But most rides will be on bike paths.
Keen to hear your off road experiences.

@CyclehoundDU, the bike is absolutely fine and have 1500km on it. No missing of anything, see attached pic. Love the bike very much. My experience is the current tire is not really good off raod. Planning to change a better tire next year. I did have problem with the controller, it suddenly refused to start up one day. The shop replaced a new one and fixed it with no charge.
Congratulation on your new bike.

Attachments

• My ebike 01.jpg
    My ebike 01.jpg
    414.7 KB · Views: 299
@CyclehoundDU, the bike is absolutely fine and have 1500km on it. No missing of anything, see attached pic. Love the bike very much. My experience is the current tire is not really good off raod. Planning to change a better tire next year. I did have problem with the controller, it suddenly refused to start up one day. The shop replaced a new one and fixed it with no charge.
Congratulation on your new bike.
Thank you for your feedback. What a beauty! You did well picking it up early. Love the colour, running light & shape of yours. The standover is lower too. The 2021 model look quite different. I think the diagonal bar is fat and obtuse without the press in (not concaved)...

Are your tires the Cross Gravel2 700x45 - did it not handle well. I’ve asked the bike shop to go tubeless, the demo wasn’t.

Disappointing about the controller fail So early in the piece. Was that during a heatwave or was it frozen over

Back