2021 Como 3.0 assist stops below 30%

Mike Moore

Region
USA
City
San Ramon, CA
I have a 2021 Como 3.0 that has just over 13,300 miles on it. The Specialized app shows the battery has 220 charge cycles and a "Maximum Capacity" of 90%. Prior to this past week it had been a very long time since I have depleted the battery below 40% on a ride. However, this past week I have had two occasions where I have had rides where the battery has been depleted below 30%. On both of those rides as soon as the display indicated that the battery had reached 29% the motor assistance was completely turned off. I tried turning off and on the power several times, but the motor assistance remained off for the remainder of the ride. After charging the battery everything worked fine. I recall reading somewhere on this forum that it was normal for assistance to be reduced when the battery went below 20% and assistance off after 10%. Is the situation that I am experiencing where the power shuts off below 30% due to the fact that the "Maximum Capacity" is showing at 90%? Is it normal for the assistance to be completely turned off before being reduced for some period of time?

2024-06-01 13.22.50.png

I have a 2021 Como 3.0 that has just over 13,300 miles on it. The Specialized app shows the battery has 220 charge cycles and a "Maximum Capacity" of 90%. Prior to this past week it had been a very long time since I have depleted the battery below 40% on a ride. However, this past week I have had two occasions where I have had rides where the battery has been depleted below 30%. On both of those rides as soon as the display indicated that the battery had reached 29% the motor assistance was completely turned off. I tried turning off and on the power several times, but the motor assistance remained off for the remainder of the ride. After charging the battery everything worked fine. I recall reading somewhere on this forum that it was normal for assistance to be reduced when the battery went below 20% and assistance off after 10%. Is the situation that I am experiencing where the power shuts off below 30% due to the fact that the "Maximum Capacity" is showing at 90%? Is it normal for the assistance to be completely turned off before being reduced for some period of time?

View attachment 176932
No, the case of the battery shutdown just below 30% of charge is unusual. I hope it did not recur?
A normal situation even with a degraded battery is the assistance gets strongly reduced between the 10 and 5% of the battery charge, and it is cut off at 5%.

sounds familiar:
from recent post:
one of our Como's (3.0) started shutting down at @ 60 percent charge left on bikes display (after close to 20K miles) . Appeared to fully charge but bike would suddenly shut down completely. LBS had sftwe verifying dead cell. I did get a new one thru the "LBS" ($$!) who mentioned Specialized was not cooperative on Batts as in past. LBS had a few new bike batts crap out and Specialized balked at warranty replacement.
LBS sent the old Batt out for disposal but before I brought it to them I hooked up an old car headlite to the batts' power terminals until totally dead (outside away from buildings).

hav fun

. .

verifying dead cell
In my case, charging from 5% stopped at 37%, and the dead cell started working as a heater. I placed the battery in a remote safe place outside and waited for the discharge (3 days).

Back