2020 Yamaha YPJ-YZ

Timpo

ヤマハ YPJ-YZ

ヤマハ YPJ-YZ

ヤマハ YPJ-YZ

ヤマハ YPJ-YZ

Yamaha YPJ-YZ electric mountain bike
This full-suspension electric mountain bike features a split downtube to hide the battery inside the frame. Its long-travel suspension suggests the bike is designed for more intense trails including jumps, while its steeper rake angle implies that it might even earn some downhill credibility as well.
ypj-yz.jpg

According to Yamaha:
“This e-bike was designed with the looks of a race machine riding out on the track. Its mass-centralized chassis is suggestive of the engineering approach with our YZ Series of competition motocross models (locating chassis weight near the center for increased handling performance). The YPJ-YZ provides stable cornering performance and light handling even on rough terrain and the simple, lightweight frame was designed to show its relationship with YZ Series models.”

Why is the Kashima coating on the top side of the inverted forks?

Too much fork slack.

Are the forks inverted? They don't look like any inverted forks I've had but they are strange looking. That's probably the nicest looking ebike I've seen.

Love the florescent color combo with the brake caliper accents. Perhaps $5-6K for this work of art... Have not seen the inverted forks on too many eMTBs released in the USA.

Are the forks inverted? They don't look like any inverted forks I've had but they are strange looking. That's probably the nicest looking ebike I've seen.
Curious. What is going on with "inverted forks" on MTBs in general? I have not seen them grow in popularity in the last few years on most of the higher end bikes. Do they not perform well, or have they not been something that mfgs favor in general? Not sure of the differences in performance either. 🧐

Now those are some wicked looking Honda E-bikes indeed. Now we know what the "advanced" clan like to ride. Awesome!

Also inverted for was more expensive?

Honda RN-01 had KYB (or Showa, depending on the year) inverted fork.

wv-large.jpg

Honda20mountain20bike.jpg
Timpo, Ahh, all makes sense as to why we do not see them much on the boutique brands or not much at all. The standard fork with the stanchions on top seem to do a well enough job that would call for the inverted ones unjustified.

yeah it is inverted, look at the pictures closely.. the blue part with graphics is fork cover.
Good catch! I was fooled until I looked closer. This bike is so extreme on so many levels. Looks like the Yamaha design team is thinking outside the box on this model.

The inverted forks are better because it doesn't flex as much.

This video summarizes pretty well.

Upside down (I prefer 'inverted' too) lubricate the internals better, generally. The RS-1 by Rockshox was known to have flex and was an expensive fork. I rode it (200lbs), and I could feel the flex over a 'standard' 32mm Fox fork. Also, bikes (except for DH) aren't typically designed with a triple tree clamp unlike motorcycles.

Back