2020 Turbo Vado 3.0

Hobie65

Good day,

Living in Newfoundland Canada somewhat limited with choices due to the accessibility to the rest of Canada.
My LBS carries Specialized and Trek and have a 2020 Turbo Vado 3.0 in showroom which I could get for around $3400. I was considering getting a Giant explore E+2 which retails around same price but would required me to take a trip to mainland for a vacation. With Covid19 On go and taking time off to care for my wife who just had surgery, well that trip to mainland is in limbo!
My LBS said vado 4.0 is non available for My size on Specialized system. They can get a Trek Allant +7 shipped to them no problem.

Vado 3.0 comes with 460 watts battery and all other mentioned above are 500 watts.

I’m 6’1” at 235lbs, I live in an area where there is lots of hill and would probably always be in eco mode.
I’ve never been in touring or long rides but I’m months away to retire and that could all change.

Should i consider the Vado or look for bike with bigger battery?

tks

I'm in my late 60s, retired and own a 2020 Vado 3.0.
Its my second one, a foc replacement for my previous faulty 2017 Vado 3.
I absolutely love it, I dont go huge distances and tend to stick to dirt tracks and forest trails although its just as home on tarmac.
As I usually only ride 1-2 hrs at a time, I've never experienced battery anxiety, I usually charge the battery when it gets to 50% or less. As far as the battery size, there is a 600 watt available if you ever found you needed it. As for hill climbing, I believe the Vado ranks pretty highly amongst ebikes.
I'd thouroghly recommended it.

Hobie65, congrats on your search for an ebike. They’re such a blast to to ride.

My Vado 6.0 (2018) class 3 has a 600wh battery and many rides I’ve used most of the battery power.
Some considerations:
- hills of course will drain the power.
- any sort of headwind.
- the fun factor. I found myself cycling twice the distance as on a non-powered bike, mostly in Sport mode just it’s so darn fun.

The Brose motor is my favorite part of the Vado. Super quiet and with 90 nm torque it’s a rocket going up hills.

It’s ok to take your time. Test ride if that’s possible in your situation.

Looking forward to a photo of your new ebike!

I'm in my late 60s, retired and own a 2020 Vado 3.0.
Its my second one, a foc replacement for my previous faulty 2017 Vado 3.
I absolutely love it, I dont go huge distances and tend to stick to dirt tracks and forest trails although its just as home on tarmac.
As I usually only ride 1-2 hrs at a time, I've never experienced battery anxiety, I usually charge the battery when it gets to 50% or less. As far as the battery size, there is a 600 watt available if you ever found you needed it. As for hill climbing, I believe the Vado ranks pretty highly amongst ebikes.
I'd thouroghly recommended it.
What kind of range are you getting with your battery?

@Hobie65, please ask your LBS whether the 604 Wh Vado battery would fit the 3.0. If yes, you will be able to upgrade the battery in the future and ride with a spare.

Hobie65,

Please look at the Specialized website for the Canadian market.

In the U.S. market, the Vado 4.0 is on sale and has a "double the discount" post-purchase mail-in rebate, which actually made it less expensive at the end as compared to buying a Vado 3.0. Ask me how I know :cool:

Also, my LBS (which did not have the Vado 4.0 size which I wanted in stock) told me to go ahead and just order it directly off the Specialized web site, for pick up at their store. Apparently in most times when one does that, the store's margin is lower than when they buy it from Specialized to have on their showroom floor. But with COVID these are not normal times, and they said that Specialized was giving their dealers the same higher margin, even if the customer ordered the bike directly from the web site.

What kind of range are you getting with your battery?
Its hard to say, all depends on terrain, wind, what kind of ride I'm doing, a tootle with my lady, a ride for excercise giving it some or how lazy I'm feeling.
I've always had plenty battery left after a 2 hour ride, assuming it was fully charged before leaving.

Hobie65,

Please look at the Specialized website for the Canadian market.

In the U.S. market, the Vado 4.0 is on sale and has a "double the discount" post-purchase mail-in rebate, which actually made it less expensive at the end as compared to buying a Vado 3.0. Ask me how I know :cool:

Also, my LBS (which did not have the Vado 4.0 size which I wanted in stock) told me to go ahead and just order it directly off the Specialized web site, for pick up at their store. Apparently in most times when one does that, the store's margin is lower than when they buy it from Specialized to have on their showroom floor. But with COVID these are not normal times, and they said that Specialized was giving their dealers the same higher margin, even if the customer ordered the bike directly from the web site.
No such luck on Canadian side! All 4.0 showed out of stock. The salesperson at my LBS said that some inventory dried up earlier with the Covid19, ppl were looking at ebikes in lieu of public transport! 🤷‍♂️

@Hobie65, please ask your LBS whether the 604 Wh Vado battery would fit the 3.0. If yes, you will be able to upgrade the battery in the future and ride with a spare.
Yes the 604 is an exact fit for 2020 Vado 3.0. I bought 2nd battery after hitting 5 % twice on rides. Ask about the color matching trim piece. Both batteries appear identical with the trim piece, but the 604 is heavier than the 460.

For a hilly area I'd go with the larger 600WHr battery if your lbs can swap it out for you. My 2020 Vado 5 has the larger battery and gets ~35 miles around our hilly mountain town. Being in my 70's I do use Turbo for several hills on my usual routes. You'll get more miles if you can avoid this highest power setting of course.

One of my favorite rides is the Monterey Bay trail that starts in Pacific Grove, CA. It's a beautiful 32 mile out and back ride along the coast, with plenty of endlessly rolling sand dunes that can make some sections a challenge on our mechanicals. Last Summer my wife and I took our Vados on this ride. What a difference! We weren't worn out when we got back to the room, but had gotten plenty of exercise. We rode mostly in Eco, some in Sport. We both had 60% battery charge left when we finished. This would equate to more than 70 miles of range, double what I get locally. So range varies quite a bit depending on conditions. I do like not having 'range anxiety' with the higher capacity battery.

For a hilly area I'd go with the larger 600WHr battery if your lbs can swap it out for you. My 2020 Vado 5 has the larger battery and gets ~35 miles around our hilly mountain town. Being in my 70's I do use Turbo for several hills on my usual routes. You'll get more miles if you can avoid this highest power setting of course.

One of my favorite rides is the Monterey Bay trail that starts in Pacific Grove, CA. It's a beautiful 32 mile out and back ride along the coast, with plenty of endlessly rolling sand dunes that can make some sections a challenge on our mechanicals. Last Summer my wife and I took our Vados on this ride. What a difference! We weren't worn out when we got back to the room, but had gotten plenty of exercise. We rode mostly in Eco, some in Sport. We both had 60% battery charge left when we finished. This would equate to more than 70 miles of range, double what I get locally. So range varies quite a bit depending on conditions. I do like not having 'range anxiety' with the higher capacity battery.
Sounds like lovely area!🌞 you are all probably right with regards to getting a larger battery and avoid that range anxiety. I’m looking at moving to Quebec in a year or so. They have endless bicycle path which I will no doubt want to go for longer rides! Tks

Anyone know the price of the 604Wh battery in the U.S.? These things are definitely not cheap!
I paid US$925 in Poland including the cover.

Guys, be careful. Ordering the spare battery means you get the battery only! You need to order the battery + cover (and perhaps you may also need an additional charger for US$135). You also need two M5x10 mm screws with integrated washer (+ an extra washer for each screw) to blind the holes at the top of the battery.

1585456908613.png

1 USD = 4 PLN now

1585457271001.png

This is how the battery + the cover came from the LBS. They have overlooked the holes. Now, I cannot buy the screws because of the lockdown.

Last edited:
Go for the 2020 Vado 3 with standard battery if you do 1 to 2 hour fitness rides. At $2700 US Firm the value is there and so is the comfort. I get three 12 mile hilly rides before I recharge - and I could get more but I try to keep battery near 50% as suggested by folks smarter than I. Your size means you should probably be looking at the "L" size frame. I am 5' 8" with a 30 inch in seam and my LBS fitted me onto an "M" frame - just right. I chose the step through frame because at 74 years old it is just easier to mount and dismount. We bought rear hub fold up Rad Mini's 4 years ago because we are avid birders and they go in the back of our Subaru Outback comfortably. They have been flawless peddle machines for getting into some pretty rough terrain and sand - but the 2020 Vado is "Mercedes E Class like" in comparison to the "Jeep Wrangler Like" Mini's. I have owned 4 Specialized acoustic bikes since 1985 with never a mechanical issue - and as a slave to reliability - the 2020 Vado 3 won out after much research and yakking! Happy Riding to All and Bon Chance … it's gettin' weird out there.

and I could get more but I try to keep battery near 50% as suggested by folks smarter than I.
There are two ways of looking at it. One school says you should nor charge the battery more than 80% and discharge to the minimum of 20% for the battery longevity. The other school teaches the life is too short and the technology advances too fast, so you charge the battery to 100% and discharge it to the Vado's minimum of 5% to just enjoy riding.

Your size means you should probably be looking at the "L" size frame. I am 5' 8" with a 30 inch in seam
The same, only my "standover height" is 31" (measured from the floor to the crotch). It is always better to check the bike size in real life, especially with the step-over frame. The Standover Height of the size M male Vado is 800 mm (31.5") while the same for the Step-Through model is 720 mm (27.3"). For that reason I chose the "women" size M Vado model.

There are two ways of looking at it. One school says you should nor charge the battery more than 80% and discharge to the minimum of 20% for the battery longevity. The other school teaches the life is too short and the technology advances too fast, so you charge the battery to 100% and discharge it to the Vado's minimum of 5% to just enjoy riding.
I agree. I'll be ready for a new bike long before I'd be needing a new battery.
The same, only my "standover height" is 31" (measured from the floor to the crotch). It is always better to check the bike size in real life, especially with the step-over frame. The Standover Height of the size M male Vado is 800 mm (31.5") ...
That could make for a painful moment if you slide off the front of the seat! :D

The same, only my "standover height" is 31" (measured from the floor to the crotch). It is always better to check the bike size in real life, especially with the step-over frame. The Standover Height of the size M male Vado is 800 mm (31.5") while the same for the Step-Through model is 720 mm (27.3"). For that reason I chose the "women" size M Vado model.
My inseam is 30 inches. My mechanical is a men's large Cannondale Quick (with a more upright aftermarket stem). Fits very well. My 2020 Vado is a men's medium, also fits very well with no aftermarket adds. I checked the frame dimensions, etc, but only discovered this difference with test rides.

Back