2020 Juggernaut Ultra FS Rear Hub quality

greeno

Region
USA
City
San Diego
Don't know if this issue has been discussed or not so here goes. My buddy purchased his bike about 2 moths ago and he just blew the rear hub out.
He was using his throttle up a small 20' rise and the hub blew and started freespinning so he panicked and started to pedal, but alas no luck, lost ballance and fell over into some rocks luckily on the high side of the trail. Needless to say he was a bit surprised as it gave him no prior wiarning. I told him to bring bike over and we would check it out.
So after verifying that it was the hub was suspect we removed the wheel from the bike and started to investigate. Pulled the cassette off, one bearing and both end caps. Then we removed the axle assembly and the main hub portion. Lifting up the hub and checking the 3 sets of spring loaded pawls you could visually see that the outermost set was extremely rounded off and the inner set was 1/2 way gone. The notched channel inside the hub that the pawls ride against was severley worn and rounded too. So being a 197mm hub there isnt much in the way of finding any replacement parts. The "Quanta" hubs used on these bikes seem to be of lesser quality. But I guess you have to save $ somewhere when marketing an e-bike.
But I would think that the motor and REAR HUB should be bulletproof. Save some cash on stuff less critical.

It is what it is so we ordered a DT Swiss replacement hub and a Spank rim and some spokes and we'll build up another wheel and hopefully this one will fair better than the original.

Not bitchin just puttin out the word.

Last edited:
Don't know if this issue has been discussed or not so here goes. My buddy purchased his bike about 2 moths ago and he just blew the rear hub out.
He was using his throttle up a small 20' rise and the hub blew and started freespinning so he panicked and started to pedal, but alas no luck, lost ballance and fell over into some rocks luckily on the high side of the trail. Needless to say he was a bit surprised as it gave him no prior wiarning. I told him to bring bike over and we would check it out.
So after verifying that it was the hub was suspect we removed the wheel from the bike and started to investigate. Pulled the cassette off, one bearing and both end caps. Then we removed the axle assembly and the main hub portion. Lifting up the hub and checking the 3 sets of spring loaded pawls you could visually see that the outermost set was extremely rounded off and the inner set was 1/2 way gone. The notched channel inside the hub that the pawls ride against was severley worn and rounded too. So being a 197mm hub there isnt much in the way of finding any replacement parts. The "Quanta" hubs used on these bikes seem to be of lesser quality. But I guess you have to save $ somewhere when marketing an e-bike.
But I would think that the motor and REAR HUB should be bulletproof. Save some cash on stuff less critical.

It is what it is so we ordered a DT Swiss replacement hub and a Spank rim and some spokes and we'll build up another wheel and hopefully this one will fair better than the original.

Not bitchin just puttin out the word.
We have had some DT Swiss hubs break too. The way these rear hubs are designed, the freehub body is the part that usually fails on them. When they do fail, they are fairly easy to replace.

We are yet to find a pawls based hub that is unbreakable. Onyx hubs have been great, but they will add $400-600 to the cost of the bike. Most people do not want that.

Oh great. Now I can be paranoid about my rear hub. :oops: Mine is a 'Quanta' ... whatever the heck that is. Anybody know?

And 4 to 6 Franklins for a freeking hub? Good grief!

Oh great. Now I can be paranoid about my rear hub. :oops: Mine is a 'Quanta' ... whatever the heck that is. Anybody know?

Hub failures are still under 1%. So you shouldn't worry about it.

I have broke everything on my mountain bike at one time or another. Back in 1999 had a steering tube break at the stem doing 25mph in a technical downhill on a 7ft drop, all of a sudden no handlebar control. All I could hear from the spectators was a gasp and "Oh No!!!!" I was a little sore in the neck for a couple of days. I had a custom solid steerer made for that bike after that.

Things break, if your cassette freewheel goes out, like I have had in the past, find a green tree branch and wrap it between the spokes and the cassette. I carry a roll of electrical tape for such an instance. This will not allow freewheeling but it will get you home.

I have broke everything on my mountain bike at one time or another. Back in 1999 had a steering tube break at the stem doing 25mph in a technical downhill on a 7ft drop, all of a sudden no handlebar control. All I could hear from the spectators was a gasp and "Oh No!!!!" I was a little sore in the neck for a couple of days. I had a custom solid steerer made for that bike after that.

Things break, if your cassette freewheel goes out, like I have had in the past, find a green tree branch and wrap it between the spokes and the cassette. I carry a roll of electrical tape for such an instance. This will not allow freewheeling but it will get you home.
You sir, are a badass.

I have had great luck with Hope hubs the Fatsno ( $100 ) and Pro4 ( $220 ) specifically. I would venture to guess having a super wide (197mm) dropout in the rear has to factor in on the cause. I see that that with the Juggernaut FS Ultra you can order it with 27" x 3" tires or 26" x 4". Can you get a narrower rear end when ordering the 3" set or is it one size fits all? I think P------ over at WW is offering two rear ends on the Hydra a wider one for fat tires and a narrower one for 3" and less. Kind of a nice option as you can have a completely different set-up for 27"x 3"and 26" x 4". That way you could use the same fork on the front if you go with 135mm or 150mm front hub and just change out the rear end . Probably cost you a grand for a separate wheel set and rear end. Cheaper in the long run as you only need one bike. Just a thought.

Last edited:
I'm on my second hub on the classic.
Biktrix was good and sent a new one out.

Ya that 135 front and 190 rear 5mm QR is tough spec to deal with.
If I had been more knowledgeable it would have been a deal breaker for me.

Last edited:
I have had great luck with Hope hubs the Fatsno ( $100 ) and Pro4 ( $220 ) specifically. I would venture to guess having a super wide (197mm) dropout in the rear has to factor in on the cause. I see that that with the Juggernaut FS Ultra you can order it with 27" x 3" tires or 26" x 4". Can you get a narrower rear end when ordering the 3" set or is it one size fits all? I think P------ over at WW is offering two rear ends on the Hydra a wider one for fat tires and a narrower one for 3" and less. Kind of a nice option as you can have a completely different set-up for 27"x 3"and 26" x 4". That way you could use the same fork on the front if you go with 135mm or 150mm front hub and just change out the rear end . Probably cost you a grand for a separate wheel set and rear end. Cheaper in the long run as you only need one bike. Just a thought.
Hey Greeno, So how is your Ultra FS?? I blew out two hubs in 45 days back in Feb. 2020 on my original Non-FS Ultra, I was not a happy camper, but.... Roshan made good on their product. Once I upgraded to the DT swiss BR2250 all has been perfect in Ultra bike freewheel land for me. So good that I bought the Ultra FS in Jan 2021.

Yeah my buddy with his Biktrix Ultra FS is still going strong. The DT Swiss hub seems to be holding up. Fingers crossed.

I see from the last Friday's video, Biktrix is working on a pawl-less hub. Can we expect to see this hub for sale anytime soon or should we FS Ultra owners look elsewhere. I run the 27.5x3.0 rear tire and yes I have had issues as well. Starting at about 600 miles, the spring holding the pawls in-place failed. I replaced this and the Paul's twice since. I now have about 1100 miles on my bike. It continues to bang and clank on engagement. I am in anticipation for this hub to fail so I'm truly interested in answer or better yet a much stronger hub.

I see from the last Friday's video, Biktrix is working on a pawl-less hub. Can we expect to see this hub for sale anytime soon or should we FS Ultra owners look elsewhere. I run the 27.5x3.0 rear tire and yes I have had issues as well. Starting at about 600 miles, the spring holding the pawls in-place failed. I replaced this and the Paul's twice since. I now have about 1100 miles on my bike. It continues to bang and clank on engagement. I am in anticipation for this hub to fail so I'm truly interested in answer or better yet a much stronger hub.
Go with a DT Swiss Star Ratchet. It's 18 (or 36 or 54, depending on your preference} points of contact have solved my Ultra hub failure issues. good luck!👍

Go with a DT Swiss Star Ratchet. It's 18 (or 36 or 54, depending on your preference} points of contact have solved my Ultra hub failure issues. good luck!👍
I went with the Onix rear hub. There is a study done by Duke University that compared DT, Profile, Hope, Chris King and Onix for measured drag. Their new Sprag unit utilizes ceramic bearing, instant engagement and silent freewheeling. It's also less expensive (if you can imagine $475. vs $595 for the DT as being cheap). I purchased a new Onix wheel, spokes and spoke nipples as well.
$741.65! Ouch! But this should end my issues. By the way Onix offers a 5-year warranty.

White Industries makes a pricey rear hub that has a shitload of contact points inside to distribute the load. My buddy has one on his ride and he's not the most gear conscious rider if you know what I mean and his is still in one piece. My Hope Pro4 is still chugging along.
My rear pivot knuckle blew up so I'm still waiting on that part to come from Germany ( and some other spares ). They must be sending it pony express minus the express. But it not being an "on the shelf" item I don't have any choice.

Being conscious of your gearing while loading it up makes a world of difference.

White Industries makes a pricey rear hub that has a shitload of contact points inside to distribute the load. My buddy has one on his ride and he's not the most gear conscious rider if you know what I mean and his is still in one piece. My Hope Pro4 is still chugging along.
My rear pivot knuckle blew up so I'm still waiting on that part to come from Germany ( and some other spares ). They must be sending it pony express minus the express. But it not being an "on the shelf" item I don't have any choice.

Being conscious of your gearing while loading it up makes a world of difference.
Check-out Fanatics com. Look at their video on Onix hubs. Very iluminating!

All of these hubs mentioned seem to be light years ahead of the garbage supplied rear hub. Hopefully Roshan has solved this thorn in the side on an otherwise homerun bike. Good luck to all.👍👍

I'm pleased to read this. The Juggernaut Ultra FS is a wonderfully constructed and functioning machine. I hope no one has issue with any aspect of these bikes.

Back