2020 Explore E+ RockShox Fork Update

iskjone

I will be replacing my factory suspension fork with an aftermarket unit and inquiring if any other Explore E+ owners have swapped out their fork? Two reason why I decided to change out is it doesn't adequately support my weight and I really would like to lock-out the suspension when on the road. It looks like a relatively easy task but installing the star nut into the steering tube is something I've never tried. I hope this is a straight-up and simple job. I ordered a 29" RockShox 30 Gold with 100mm axle , 9mm QR drop outs and tapered steerer. The 29" size should work out fine. Retailer has already notified me that shipping is backlogged and it while take longer than usual. to deliver. Hope to be posting pictures soon. Right now it's snowing like its mid January with huge snowflakes. Spring is always slow to arrive in Maine.

Well the RockShox update came to a dead end. Received the new fork but the minute I opened the box I knew that is wasn't going to work. ( see photo) I thought I had covered all the bases with the specs but I didn't factor in the additional upper shock travel length. Everything matches up except that. The new RockShox has fork travel of 100mm but the stock fork is just 60mm travel. The new fork added 2 inches to the stack which was more than I expected. It would also change Giant's factory steering geometry by more than just a little bit. So it's all pack-up ready to go back to vendor. Finding a mid priced suspension fork upgrade for the Explore E+ is a challenge.

Attachments

• RockShox30Gold.jpg
    RockShox30Gold.jpg
    366.3 KB · Views: 435
Oh dear.
Yeah, my 'shock upgrade' cost me about four grand. 😋

I don't know how you'll get a longer travel fork to fit the bike's geometry. Keeping eye out here though... 👍

I know that a RST VIVAir would work but I can't find them with tapered steering and I question if they're worth the upgrade. I really like the FastRoad E+ EX Pro but I need a solid season or two on the Explore before thinking of a upgrade. It may just be a passing fancy for me but I don't think so. Right now I'm 'sheltered at home' until end of April but as soon as the weather permits I'll be biking the five mile loop that goes around the lake I live on providing I don't need travel documents to bike around the block

Hmm I am tuning into this too, as the bike bottoms out for me as well!

Quite sad really as it is a very solid bike.

Try the aftermarket heavy spring in the stock fork ; it's an improvement .
I've also been searching for an upgrade but haven't found any options other than one of the RST air models .
Not sure it's worth it for me .

My Explore E + 1 came with the upgraded RST Vivair E shocks. I'm not in love with them, so wouldn't personally bother with an aftermarket upgrade to them. I ride in what this link calls a 'performance' posture and the shocks sag down and get stuck after 30 or so minutes of cycling. This is after about 2 months of ownership. The tension setting doesn't seem to make much different, aside from full lockoff. I didn't have this issue on my cheapie Suntour shocks on my old BH. A shock pump is in the post to top them up.

Try the aftermarket heavy spring in the stock fork ; it's an improvement .
I've also been searching for an upgrade but haven't found any options other than one of the RST air models .
Not sure it's worth it for me .
Cheers eboy!

Any idea on the exact part number or name?

I'm not sure if this helps or not but I thought I'd post anyway just in case.
I replaced the factory RST 80mm air shock on my Pedego Interceptor with a Rockshox Gold 100mm. The swap was easy and took less than an hour. I had to cut off a small piece of the top tube for a good fit.

The swap added about 1" of height to the front of the bike but the geometry change made no noticeable difference in the handling. With the additional 20mm of travel, I was able to reduce the shock pressure and introduce some sag in the suspension. I couldn't do this with the RST without it bottoming out on rough surfaces. The only other adjustment necessary was to lengthen the kickstand about a half inch.

In your case, I can't say for sure if a 2" height change would make difference or not. On some bikes, it is possible to convert a straight head tube to tapered with a conversion kit. I'm not sure if one is available for you bike though.

IMO, the performance of the Rockshox is far superior to that of the stock RTS.

Last edited:
Update to my Fork upgrade. Some brief spring sorties confirmed, again, that my Explore E+ 4 stock suspension fork just isn't effective. My bike tracks well under perfect conditions but any XC trekking displays how inadequate this fork is for a 180 lbs rider. I've decide to take anther stab at upgrading my factory RST Noodle Fork with a Fox 29er unit. Hopeful it's a better match than the RockShox unit that I attempted earlier. New fork has been ordered and arrives in two weeks.

Update to my Fork upgrade. Some brief spring sorties confirmed, again, that my Explore E+ 4 stock suspension fork just isn't effective. My bike tracks well under perfect conditions but any XC trekking displays how inadequate this fork is for a 180 lbs rider. I've decide to take anther stab at upgrading my factory RST Noodle Fork with a Fox 29er unit. Hopeful it's a better match than the RockShox unit that I attempted earlier. New fork has been ordered and arrives in two weeks.

You could have spaced the RS 30 Gold fork down. Takes 15min to fit the spacers to the air shaft to reduce travel to whatever you need....

That may have been an workable solution but I was unaware that travel could be reduced. The Fox Flow was $35 more than the RockShox but appears to be better suited for my needs.

Both fine forks... another inch or so of travel would give you the room to run softer air pressures (as 6zfshdb suggested) which would help smooth the ride

The new suspension Fox fork arrived in record time for upgrading the factory fork on my Explore E+4 2020. Just an 'by-the-eye' measurements the Fox fork looks to be a perfect match. After removing the Crown Race bearing to transfer to the Fox fork and the headset bearings from the original fork I thought that the bearings should be replaced with new FSA top and bottom Headset Bearings. (Blame my Dad, he was an engineer) Something didn't looked quite right. Of course something simple like headset bearing will take three weeks to deliver.

Attachments

• IMstockFox1G_20200515_130344.jpg
    IMstockFox1G_20200515_130344.jpg
    348.9 KB · Views: 542
  • StockFox2.jpg
    StockFox2.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 473
  • StockFox3.jpg
    StockFox3.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 506
Back