2020 Cycling Deaths Broken Down & Analyzed

J.R.

Region
USA
City
Piedmont Highlands
Interesting breakdown of U.S. cycling deaths. Probably the number one reason I hear why people won't commute by bike, weather is number two. Hills and distance are up there too.

There are dangers wherever you ride. The most disturbing stat for me is the number of hit and runs, greater than 25%.

Screenshot_20210608-102238_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210608-102333_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210608-102445_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210608-102521_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210608-102618_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210608-102702_Chrome.jpg

Be careful out there!

How can people just drive away and leave a bloody body on the road ?

I consider my risk from car impact higher than cancer, at my age of 71. I ride 2000 miles a year on road.
I've been hit & run once, 25 mph right turn on red, with 13 seconds left on the walk light. He crossed 3 lanes of the cross street making the turn. Grand Theft Auto Expert!
I was lucky, had a bruise, a scrape, and a bump on the shin on one leg. Impact tore the back strap of the pannier off. Frame jumped, knocked my foot off pedal and pedal struck the front of the shin.

How can people just drive away and leave a bloody body on the road ?
Evidently you still have a lot of faith in humanity on the roads.
I used to ride in traffic all the time. Now I don’t ride my ebikes on the streets much and never on busy streets. Cell phones made me give it up on my last ever motorcycle and certainly on bikes.

I survived being hit from the rear by a car travelling at 50 plus miles per hour
I still enjoy riding my bike but i'm not commuting to and from work anymore - which i did for over 30 years.

Evidently you still have a lot of faith in humanity on the roads.
I used to ride in traffic all the time. Now I don’t ride my ebikes on the streets much and never on busy streets. Cell phones made me give it up on my last ever motorcycle and certainly on bikes.
This is exactly why my motorcycle has not seen the road in over 15 years !
There are zombies out there !

I stopped riding for many years, because I’m on blood thinners, and my doctors were freaking me out over the risks. I finally started riding again two years ago, after I decided it was time to just live my life (maybe because I’m older, so I’d miss less of life if I was taken out). Ironically, while walking up an inclined trail 18 months ago I slipped on a loose rock, necessitating emergency surgery for a giant hematoma. In fact, it was a hit-and-run rock, as it flew off while I went down!

Point being that there are risks in literally everything we do. I’m still somewhat nervous about riding on roads, but I take certain precautions and do hit them on a limited basis. I definitely prefer the rail trails though, and look forward to their growth.

I definitely prefer the rail trails though, and look forward to their growth.
I got an old Garmin trail GPS that allows me to find all the bike paths in my area and then to create trips that allow me to avoid the roads as much as possible.
I have found some paths, that haven't been used for quite some time...real treacherous.

In motorcycle safety training, they teach you that - you are essentially invisible to car drivers, and, plan accordingly.

They also tell you that putting yourself among cars can never be - Safe. You do what you can do to Reduce risk, but, you have to accept the fact that it is indeed not safe, and stuff can happen.

I'm doing a few types of riding at this point:
- in a very large corporate lot
- the back roads of my quiet neighborhood
- the busy roads.

Can't say I love the busy roads, and I do feel exposed. I greatly prefer the back roads, and soon, a nearby trail.

In motorcycle safety training, they teach you that - you are essentially invisible to car drivers, and, plan accordingly.

They also tell you that putting yourself among cars can never be - Safe. You do what you can do to Reduce risk, but, you have to accept the fact that it is indeed not safe, and stuff can happen.

- the busy roads.

Can't say I love the busy roads, and I do feel exposed. I greatly prefer the back roads, and soon, a nearby trail.
Good rules for intelligent actors…my recent experience on I64, traffic heavy an fast…two riders splitting traffic. First one damn near taking my mirror off… 2nd one as I closed her way ran by on median. And then I ran into them at gas station. Police were called. They lied until police asked to see their GoPro

It was an encounter I should have passed on (PTSD)…more to the story but…they’re incapable of learning

- the busy roads.

MSF trainings invaluable for eBikers as well. I shake own every personal build on the local MSF course. Especially avoidance maneuvering and panic braking distances. Too many us have no idea what target fixation Is.

Back