2019 Trek Women’s Dual Sport+ or 2018 Riese & Müller Roadster Mixte Touring CX or CS

kitchcrew

What a great forum! Would love your input.

Ok stats first:
Newbie to this forum & Ebikes. Been reading & researching this site...amazing educational process!
Long Beach, CA
Female, 52 yrs, 5’5”, strong & active, but 220 lbs
Like sporty, attractive, high quality ebikes.
Mainly for recreation & fitness on suburban streets, but would like to consider hybrid style for a little wider tire/versatility.
Preferences: Bosch battery & motor, fenders, rack, and comfy saddle. Weight of bike & weight max impt. Prefer bike <50 lbs so I can lift it & load into my small SUV. Budget 3-4K.

This week, I rode the 2019 Trek Women’s DS+ (Bosch Active line + 20mph) and the 2018 R & M Roadster Mixte Touring 45 cm (20 mph Bosch CX motor). Both very nice.
The R & M is a great value & similar price to Trek only b/c it’s last year’s model.
Also considerIng the same 2018 R & M Roadster Mixte Touring HS (28 mph Bosch CS) for just slightly more $.
Trek is prob more versatile and has new Bosch 500 RIB style battery... but R & M is stylish and so good looking in white & gives me the option of CX or CS.
My husband is considering a 28mph Haibike, so I might need to keep up with him.
Appreciate your time & suggestions.

Attachments

• F63A25A2-9618-41E9-B06C-92CF4E7CD152.jpeg
    F63A25A2-9618-41E9-B06C-92CF4E7CD152.jpeg
    909.9 KB · Views: 552
  • E0D6183A-C2CC-42BF-A634-31B2A79DB2B4.jpeg
    E0D6183A-C2CC-42BF-A634-31B2A79DB2B4.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 726
Last edited:

Ok stats first:
Newbie to this forum & Ebikes. Been reading & researching this site...amazing educational process!
Long Beach, CA
Mainly for recreation & fitness on suburban streets, but would like to consider hybrid style for a little wider tire/versatility.
Preferences: Bosch battery & motor, fenders, rack, and comfy saddle. Weight of bike & weight max impt. Prefer bike <50 lbs so I can lift it & load into my small SUV. Budget 3-4K.

This week, I rode the 2019 Trek Women’s DS+ (Bosch Active line + 20mph) and the 2018 R & M Roadster Mixte Touring 45 cm (20 mph Bosch CX motor). Both very nice.
The R & M is a great value & similar price to Trek only b/c it’s last year’s model.
Also considerIng the same 2018 R & M Roadster Mixte Touring HS (28 mph Bosch CS) for just slightly more $.
Trek is prob more versatile and has new Bosch 500 RIB style battery... but R & M is stylish and so good looking in white & gives me the option of CX or CS.
- also rode the Trek Powerfly 5 & Verve, Electra Townie Go & Commute - this helped me rule out cruiser style & full mtn bikes based on where I’ll ride & weight/size of bike.

Ok stats first:
Long Beach, CA

Both are great bikes. But, there is a even better option.

HAIBIKE XDURO Trekking S 9.0. (in the low step version).

It's a 2018 model with the Bosch speed drive 28mph, 500 Whr battery. Motor and battery are the 2 most important things to consider.

The bike is currently on sale for $2999.

https://www.haibikeusa.com/2018-xduro-trekking-s-9-0-low-step.html

@Chris Nolte just opened up a shop in long Beach. He could get you that bike in 44cm or 48cm. I just linked that model above and would be perfect for your height. It's lighter than R&M roadster, slightly better components and has all the features you're looking for.

Then upgrade the tires to Schwalbe Big Ben plus 2 inch for all terrain performance, BodyFloat suspension seatpost, get some nice Ortleib bags, light and Motion Nip 800 lumen lights and you are still under $3.5K.

It's a 2018 model with the Bosch speed drive 28mph, 500 Whr battery. Motor and battery are the 2 most important things to consider.

@Chris Nolte just opened up a shop in long Beach. He could get you that bike in 44cm or 48cm. I just linked that model above and would be perfect for your height. It's lighter than R&M roadster, slightly better components and has all the features you're looking for.

Then upgrade the tires to Schwalbe Big Ben plus 2 inch for all terrain performance, BodyFloat suspension seatpost, get some nice Ortleib bags, light and Motion Nip 800 lumen lights and you are still under $3.5K.
@Ravi Kempaiah Thanks so much...What a great looking bike! I have been working with Chris and that’s where I rode the R&M roadster... he’s great. I guess neither of us thought of this Haibike option, but I will email him now to see if he has this in his LB location so I can take a ride. And thanks for sharing your suggested revisions & accessory upgrades. Sounds like it could be really awesome.

@Revi May I ask why you believe overall that the Haibike is a better option than the R&M HS (28mph) roadster? They have the same battery & motor and similar components.
My only concern is that Haibike even in XS frame is too big and/or bulky than R&M 45cm for me. I have seen their size chart also.

Ok stats first:
Long Beach, CA

Trek Dual sport is a $3600 bike for an active line motor, cheap coil fork and some mid range components, it is horribly overpriced, worth probably half that price. If you like Trek go for Powerfly, way better in every way.

Haibike Trekking s 9.0 is also miles better in every way to dual sport, speed motor, much better components etc. however I don't know about the tire clearance, it will probably be good for 29x2-2.25 but fenders may cause a problem.

Trek Dual sport is a $3600 bike for an active line motor, cheap coil fork and some mid range components, it is horribly overpriced, worth probably half that price. If you like Trek go for Powerfly, way better in every way.

Haibike Trekking s 9.0 is also miles better in every way to dual sport, speed motor, much better components etc. however I don't know about the tire clearance, it will probably be good for 29x2-2.25 but fenders may cause a problem.
Thank you so much for your reply! I’ll rule out Trek DS and will purchase the ‘18 R&M HS Roadster for 3.2k (reg price 4.4k) or ‘18 Haibike XDURO S 9.0 for 3k depending on size & availability.

Thank you so much for your reply! I’ll rule out Trek DS and will purchase the ‘18 R&M HS Roadster for 3.2k (reg price 4.4k) or ‘18 Haibike XDURO S 9.0 for 3k depending on size & availability.
Interesting discussion. I too have been looking at the 2019 Trek Dual Sport as my 2nd ebike. I like that it doesn’t have the “brick-on-the-down-tube” look. But mostly the reduced weight has my interest. I too haul my bikes often and as a person with “whimpy” arms, lifting a heavy ebike onto a rack can be a challenge. At 45 lbs it weighs considerably less than most ebikes, which are usually over 50 lbs. I now have the Specialized Vado 6.0. Totally love it but at 55 lbs there’s no way I would ever be able to load it inside my suv without help. I just don’t have the upper body strength. Hafta use a hitch rack.
Looking forward to some photos of your new bike.

Interesting discussion. I too have been looking at the 2019 Trek Dual Sport as my 2nd ebike. I like that it doesn’t have the “brick-on-the-down-tube” look. But mostly the reduced weight has my interest. I too haul my bikes often and as a person with “whimpy” arms, lifting a heavy ebike onto a rack can be a challenge. At 45 lbs it weighs considerably less than most ebikes, which are usually over 50 lbs. I now have the Specialized Vado 6.0. Totally love it but at 55 lbs there’s no way I would ever be able to load it inside my suv without help. I just don’t have the upper body strength. Hafta use a hitch rack.
@Marci jo so cool that you are shopping for a second E-Bike . I take it that you must enjoying your Vado then. What have been your fav things owning one? I’m looking forward to exploring new places and going on new adventures. I’m moving forward with the R&M Roadster Mixte HS - I like the option of going above 20 mph when I can. Fast is fun! ? Best of luck with your search.

I have been in the same dilemma regarding the choice of electric bike. I first fell for the Riese & Müller Roadster Mixte, but since the nearest dealer was 100 miles away, I had to drop it as it would be both cumbersome and expensive for service and the like. Instead, I chose the Trek Dual Sport + Women's 2019 which I could buy from a retailer just 5 miles from my residence. I ordered and paid it without trying it, as it had to be ordered especially for me and therefore got a discount of 20%. I could also get the Trek Powerfly 5 Women's 2019 by 20% and the same terms, but believe that Dual Sport + will fit me better, as I'm only 5.09 ”and 87 lbs. and only runs on paved roads and paths. I get it in 10 days and am looking forward to being a small child. sorry my english but have used Google translate, I am from Denmark.

Forgive me if this is off-topic, but since you’re in Long Beach, I thought I’d mention that Pedego Greater Long Beach is closing down this month, and you might be able to get an extraordinary deal there.

My wife is 5’1” and rides a Pedego Conveyor. The top tube is too high for her, but she manages. She’s used to riding bikes that are big for her. There are other models suited to shorter riders.

Ebikes are heavy. I am sorry but if you are really expecting 45lbs bike to feel significantly lighter than a 50lbs you will be disappointed. 5lbs would make a difference if your bike is 15lbs instead of 20lbs not when it is already 45+lbs.

DS is NOT a light bike nor it is designed to be light! I don't know why people are having this misconception. It simply has an inferior motor which is around 2 pounds lighter. If you change tires, seatpost suspension etc. it will be nullified anyways.

If you want a lighter bike you can still find a 2016 Urban RC which is around 40lbs. Now I wouldn't call this light , but still lighter than DS and comes with the better Bosch speed system. It can be found online around $1700. https://electricbikereview.com/haibike/xduro-urban/
Or go for a Carbon FS Haibike which is again around 40lbs.

Also take the weight you see on the spec sheet with a grain of salt. The weight will vary wrt. the size of the bike etc.

For loading the bike in your suv , taking out the battery and the seatpost should make it significantly easier to lift.

Forgive me if this is off-topic, but since you’re in Long Beach, I thought I’d mention that Pedego Greater Long Beach is closing down this month, and you might be able to get an extraordinary deal there.

My wife is 5’1” and rides a Pedego Conveyor. The top tube is too high for her, but she manages. She’s used to riding bikes that are big for her. There are other models suited to shorter riders.
Thank you for your input and letting me know. There’s also a Pedego dealer also in Seal Beach. I wonder if they’re staying open ...

My wife has the Powerfly 5. She is 5'2". She gives it 5 stars and says she cannot imagine a better bike for her purposes! She has the 15.5" frame.

Last edited:
Back