2019 Lafree E+1 review and experiences.

Curmudgeon

I am a 78 year old fat guy with balance problems who hasn’t ridden a bicycle in 50 years. My only healthy activity is working out at Gold’s Gym twice a week. My knees are starting to hurt, make strange pops when I stand up, and get very stiff after sitting for a half hour or so. I was looking for some kind of gentle aerobic exercise but found walking too boring. A few months ago I discovered electric bicycles and found the assisted peddling concept interesting. I needed a bike with no cross bar that could be easily mounted (step through) like the Lafree E+1&2. I looked at three other popular e-bikes that were similar to the Lafree in frame design. After extensive research and much deliberation I selected the Lafree E+1 for the following reasons: 1) internal gears in rear hub (no derailleur maintenance), 2) belt drive (no chain, no grease, no dirt), 3) highest motor torque (60Nm) of those bikes being considered, 4) my perception that the Yamaha motor with Giant SyncDrive is smoother and quieter than the other offerings 5) purchase cost was equal or less than the other bikes under consideration and 6) the bike in my size was available locally for inspection (no special order and associated obligations required).

Now that I have owned the Lafree E+1 for more than two weeks and ridden it every day for about 5 miles per ride, I have some preliminary observations. I enjoy the bike very much, my knees feel better, and I would not change my e-bike choice. There are some disappointments, however, that I did not learn about until after I took ownership of the Lafree. 1) all the Giant dealerships queried in my local area have very limited experience with the Giant e-bike motor, software, and related electrical system, 2) the Lafree lights are very low tier, 3) upgrading the Lafree lights may be problematic because queried local Giant bike shops are not familiar with e-bike lights, 4) It would be nice if the Lafree had an integrated display that showed minimal bike metrics like MPH, and 5) none of the local Giant shops queried are confident that one of the Giant e-bike displays could be retrofitted to the Lafree and how to do it.

Other observations: 1) the latest version of RideControl software seems to work very well. I have used it for every ride and have no complaints, 2) I usually ride in eco+ and start in 4th gear, 3) I have never used 1st gear and cruise in 7th or 8th gear, 4) the rear hub shifts beautifully, 5) the Lafree seems to coast very well, 6) occasionally I have run out of speed in 8th gear. I think I was well below the motor limit of 20 MPH (9/22 actually I was probably doing 20MPH based on a recently added Android speedo app). I wonder if the internal hub gears can be changed, 7) always wear eye protection when riding. I collided with a flying bug yesterday. Got stung on cheek just below my glasses.

Last edited:
After 4 1/2 months of riding my E+1, I've learned a few tricks and made some observations as well.

1. Wasn't sure if I liked the "Walk" feature until I learned it was highly useful for pre-starting the motor engagement. I tend to ride in the upper gears which means if I stop then restart in that upper gear, the bike can be as hard as starting a fixie beach bike until the pedals have made the partial revolution required to clue the motor to "jump right in and help". So I either had to dial down the gears, or just deal with the heavy handed "on your own" muscle power to start the bike rolling. On a whim one day I decided to press the walk button as I set foot on the pedal. To my delight the motor engaged almost instantly, not waiting for the partial crank revolution before the assist was engaged. This certainly made my life easier, and my knees much happier.

2. The bike could absolutely use one or two higher gears, possibly 4, taking the bike up to 12 speeds. Sometimes 8 is just not enough.

3. With the assist active I very rarely go below 6th gear. It is much easier to roll through the assist levels to activate more percentage of power to simulate a lower gear than it is to twist through the gears manually.

4. The app is a good starting place for getting a digital readout of the bike data on a daily basis. Not as useful when looking for a record of compiled data. I need to play around with my phone to find out where Giant stores the ride data, and see if the information can be downloaded to my laptop.

5. I did look into seeing if the RideControlOne was upgradable to a digital display. It is, but my LBS said the cost including labor would have been close to $300. Not willing to spend that when my Garmin 810 and Garmin Forerunner 210 wrist GPS both do a fine job providing info and allow the data to be easily downloaded to my computer. I have found the Giant app's recorded miles per trip is off (on the gain side) from the miles recorded by my two Garmin units (which agree with each other).

6. The tin front fender had to go. It rattled, got in the way of me putting the front wheel on when the wheel has been removed for transport, and the supports bent out of shape with minimal pressure. I finally took the fender off yesterday, and my bike is now much quieter (no rattling over bumps) and the front wheel is quicker to put back on. I don't ride in the rain or wet conditions, but will get a detachable "splash guard" for the front end that I can carry with me if needed.

6. I've added my own flashing lights to the bike, both front and rear. Was curious if the wired lights would flash rather than remain on steadily, but my LBS never did get an answer back from Giant if the software allowed for a flashing option. I decided it was just cheaper and less trouble to strap on dedicated rechargeable super bright flashers with optional flashing patterns that I can buy in assorted colors right from Amazon.

7. I am yet aother rider that has also lost weight while enjoying my bike. Down to 145 from about 160. Still dropping lbs as I am riding anywhere from 10 to 20 miles everyday. Hard to say no to riding since the E+1 makes it way too much fun AND protects my knee at the same time.

8. The carbon belt drive is worth the price of the bike alone. Maintenance free, clean, and silent.

9. The cut off of the assist is too early. I'm not happy with the gradual backing off of the assist when one hits 18.5 mph, and less pleased that at 19.5mph the assist is almost too minimal to notice. I'm already looking at installing the Speedbox to "adjust" the speed control from 20mph to 28mph ONLY to give me a passing speed that is 21 to 22 mph with full assistance. 28mph on a regular basis is far too fast for my comfort zone. Even freewheeling downhill I will be applying the breaks at 24-25mph. I'd just like to have a boost now and then when I need it.

10. Agree with wearing eye protection all the time.

Last edited:
Reactions: CSH
After 4 1/2 months of riding my E+1, I've learned a few tricks and made some observations as well.

1. Wasn't sure if I liked the "Walk" feature until I learned it was highly useful for pre-starting the motor engagement. I tend to ride in the upper gears which means if I stop then restart in that upper gear, the bike can be as hard as starting a fixie beach bike until the pedals have made the partial revolution required to clue the motor to "jump right in and help". So I either had to dial down the gears, or just deal with the heavy handed "on your own" muscle power to start the bike rolling. On a whim one day I decided to press the walk button as I set foot on the pedal. To my delight the motor engaged almost instantly, not waiting for the partial crank revolution before the assist was engaged. This certainly made my life easier, and my knees much happier.

2. The bike could absolutely use one or two higher gears, possibly 4, taking the bike up to 12 speeds. Sometimes 8 is just not enough.

3. With the assist active I very rarely go below 6th gear. It is much easier to roll through the assist levels to activate more percentage of power to simulate a lower gear than it is to twist through the gears manually.

4. The app is a good starting place for getting a digital readout of the bike data on a daily basis. Not as useful when looking for a record of compiled data. I need to play around with my phone to find out where Giant stores the ride data, and see if the information can be downloaded to my laptop.

5. I did look into seeing if the RideControlOne was upgradable to a digital display. It is, but my LBS said the cost including labor would have been close to $300. Not willing to spend that when my Garmin 810 and Garmin Forerunner 210 wrist GPS both do a fine job providing info and allow the data to be easily downloaded to my computer. I have found the Giant app's recorded miles per trip is off (on the gain side) from the miles recorded by my two Garmin units (which agree with each other).

6. The tin front fender had to go. It rattled, got in the way of me putting the front wheel on when the wheel has been removed for transport, and the supports bent out of shape with minimal pressure. I finally took the fender off yesterday, and my bike is now much quieter (no rattling over bumps) and the front wheel is quicker to put back on. I don't ride in the rain or wet conditions, but will get a detachable "splash guard" for the front end that I can carry with me if needed.

6. I've added my own flashing lights to the bike, both front and rear. Was curious if the wired lights would flash rather than remain on steadily, but my LBS never did get an answer back from Giant if the software allowed for a flashing option. I decided it was just cheaper and less trouble to strap on dedicated rechargeable super bright flashers with optional flashing patterns that I can buy in assorted colors right from Amazon.

7. I am yet aother rider that has also lost weight while enjoying my bike. Down to 145 from about 160. Still dropping lbs as I am riding anywhere from 10 to 20 miles everyday. Hard to say no to riding since the E+1 makes it way too much fun AND protects my knee at the same time.

8. The carbon belt drive is worth the price of the bike alone. Maintenance free, clean, and silent.

9. The cut off of the assist is too early. I'm not happy with the gradual backing off of the assist when one hits 18.5 mph, and less pleased that at 19.5mph the assist is almost too minimal to notice. I'm already looking at installing the Speedbox to "adjust" the speed control from 20mph to 28mph ONLY to give me a passing speed that is 21 to 22 mph with full assistance. 28mph on a regular basis is far too fast for my comfort zone. Even freewheeling downhill I will be applying the breaks at 24-25mph. I'd just like to have a boost now and then when I need it.

10. Agree with wearing eye protection all the time.

Hello,

1. I too wondered if the "Walk" button could work as a pseudo "Throttle".
I just hadn't gotten around to trying it yet.
Do you think the Gear or Assist level matters when you do your Start from Stand still ?

2. My Wife & I Both have the LaFree E+1 and we use the STRAVA (free) APP.
Seems good.

1568735007243.png

Craig :cool:

@CSH - I'm not sure how well the Walk option would function as a pseudo-throttle. It only motors at 3mph, and the pedals turn (which I find very annoying because they get in the way). That isn't fast at all. The only benefit is that it does seem to jumpstart the motor so that the gap to engage - when one starts to pedal - closes to become pretty much nonexistant.

I haven't noticed that downgearing makes much difference in starting up. However, the level of assist really does matter on how quick and easy one gets away. Using the Sport+ is the best - 300% power immediately sure beats every other level, especially when starting on a hill.

Starting with Walk mode engaged, going directly into pedaling with Sport + on is the fastest way to get the bike underway with the least amount of leg and knee pressure to the rider. At least it does for me. I try to ensure that the mounting pedal is at the top of it's revolution before I engage Walk, and before I put my foot on the pedal.

I know a lot of people use Strava. I need to look into that app.

Reactions: CSH
Curmudgeon and Readytoride, I enjoyed your reviews of your new LaFree+1. We are very similar in age and biking experience. I have been going to the Y 3-5 days a week for about 12 years and I’m in pretty good shape for my age. My health issue is arthritis and I can ride a bike much better than I can walk. Getting up from a chair after sitting a few minutes is my only pain…for now. I started researching and testing e-bikes about a year ago and I had narrowed my selection down to the Specialized Como 4 or 5 and the LaFree. The local Giant dealer was a Specialized and Giant dealer but I didn’t know until after I rode the Plus 1 that he was not an electric bike dealer. Frankly I made the wrong decision on the dealer and the bike. However it hasn’t been a horrible journey but a few dealer glitches left me with a bitter taste for the bike. Thankfully the Trek dealer was extremely accommodating to me and has be a terrific help. The last I checked I have spent about a third the bike cost with the Trek dealer for a rack, new tires, gel pants and shorts, bag, gloves, pump and numerous other things. I was turned off by the bikes lack of a display for miles, speed, average and so on. It took the Giant dealer over a month to get me a price of a display and then jacked it up beyond reality. His quote was $600 compared to your $300. I am sure the padding was to pay for their hours to install and adding extra hours because they didn’t know what they were doing. Also, I had two flats within the first four rides. I told the Giant dealer and there was no response. I mentioned it to the Trek dealer and he followed my home and got the bike and repaired the tire. The second flat he inserted a Mr. Jiffy liner in it but it was not holding air properly. I didn’t like the idea of another flat perhaps too far from the car. After a lot of research he recommended “Schwalbe Crazy Bob” tires. Mush more stable and not a single problem with the 6+ rides since installed. Ironically my name is Bob and they now call me “Crazy Bob.” No problem!

I have had my +1 since mid July. I agree with you my legs feel much better and the bursitis in my right leg is almost gone. I try to ride every other day and this week it looks like I will hit 50 miles. I use the “MAP MY RIDE” app that is marketed by Under Armour. $30 a year and it does everything on my iPhone.. Ironically I have seen 25 mph several times from the GPS in the APP. Don’t have a clue if it’s right or not. While my “sit bones” start complaining after about 7-8 miles I stay with it normally to 10 to 13 miles. I agree completely with your comments about the lights. I do have Bontrager blinking lights on the front and back of the bike. Also have a blinking light on the back of my helmut. Right now I have my power set on max and will keep it there until I feel I have total control of the bike and my balance. So far, so good. Like you I am beginning to run out of gears. Today I was in 7th gear 90% of the time and moved up to 8th. Today I also set the Giant controller in Automatic mode and I believe that is where I will keep it. I did not experience the pedal spinning at all.

I have not heard any noise from the fenders. The Trek dealer did move the from fender back about 2 inches to properly use the grip to secure the bike to the rack.

I tried my hardest to make the best decision for my first bike. I still wish that I had bought the Specialized or a Trek. However the bike has been fun and dependable after correcting the tire problem. Like you Readytoride I have questioned the Trek dealer to install a throttle. I think he was concerned about his involvement in changing the class of the bike. However I would most likely on use it to cross intersections…I think. I do know there is a 500W battery available for the +1. I would love to test drive one to see the effect of it.

I am considering the purchase of a Brooks saddle. Everyone praises them. The B67 model has a nice suspension system. I am also in the process of adding a suspension seat post. Another change will be changing the shift mechanism from the twist which is difficult at times with the arthritis in my hands. I can see a different bike in the not too distant future but this one has been good so far.

Sent from my iPhone

6) occasionally I have run out of speed in 8th gear. I think I was well below the motor limit of 20 MPH (9/22 actually I was probably doing 20MPH based on a recently added Android speedo app). I wonder if the internal hub gears can be changed,

More observations (9/22): 1) Just added an Android app named "Bikeometer" to my Samsung smart phone. It is as nice minimalist app that tracks my rides and basic stats like current speed, average speed, distance, etc. It offers a nice map with various overlays. The satellite overlay is very nice with crisp high resolution zoom. It also saves the ride image and stats. Not sure where they are saved though. The Bikeometer uses GPS to produce the stats so there is a lag in getting updates but the information is good enough for now. I notice that there are some differences in the data collected by the Bikeometer and RideControl apps. For now I am using RideControl as the reference standard. 2) Now that I know my speed, I notice that the above 20mph the pedal feel (?assist?) is not unpleasant. In the past I probably exceeded 20mph and did not know it since the assist seemed the same. Of course my speedometer may be inaccurate. 3) I recently purchased the Wahoo TICKR FIT Optical Heart Rate Monitor Armband. I like it and it integrates well with the Giant RideControl app. 4) I just installed a new LOUDER bell. Everyone seemed to ignore the Giant OEM bell. Next, if I don't get any respect, there will be a battery operated motorcycle horn. 5) I just ordered a Suntour SP12-NCX Suspension Travel Seatpost (30.9mm diameter) hoping to make longer rides more comfortable. More on that after it is installed.

I am a 78 year old fat guy with balance problems who hasn’t ridden a bicycle in 50 years. My only healthy activity is working out at Gold’s Gym twice a week. My knees are starting to hurt, make strange pops when I stand up, and get very stiff after sitting for a half hour or so. I was looking for some kind of gentle aerobic exercise but found walking too boring. A few months ago I discovered electric bicycles and found the assisted peddling concept interesting. I needed a bike with no cross bar that could be easily mounted (step through) like the Lafree E+1&2. I looked at three other popular e-bikes that were similar to the Lafree in frame design. After extensive research and much deliberation I selected the Lafree E+1 for the following reasons: 1) internal gears in rear hub (no derailleur maintenance), 2) belt drive (no chain, no grease, no dirt), 3) highest motor torque (60Nm) of those bikes being considered, 4) my perception that the Yamaha motor with Giant SyncDrive is smoother and quieter than the other offerings 5) purchase cost was equal or less than the other bikes under consideration and 6) the bike in my size was available locally for inspection (no special order and associated obligations required).

Now that I have owned the Lafree E+1 for more than two weeks and ridden it every day for about 5 miles per ride, I have some preliminary observations. I enjoy the bike very much, my knees feel better, and I would not change my e-bike choice. There are some disappointments, however, that I did not learn about until after I took ownership of the Lafree. 1) all the Giant dealerships queried in my local area have very limited experience with the Giant e-bike motor, software, and related electrical system, 2) the Lafree lights are very low tier, 3) upgrading the Lafree lights may be problematic because queried local Giant bike shops are not familiar with e-bike lights, 4) It would be nice if the Lafree had an integrated display that showed minimal bike metrics like MPH, and 5) none of the local Giant shops queried are confident that one of the Giant e-bike displays could be retrofitted to the Lafree and how to do it.

Other observations: 1) the latest version of RideControl software seems to work very well. I have used it for every ride and have no complaints, 2) I usually ride in eco+ and start in 4th gear, 3) I have never used 1st gear and cruise in 7th or 8th gear, 4) the rear hub shifts beautifully, 5) the Lafree seems to coast very well, 6) occasionally I have run out of speed in 8th gear. I think I was well below the motor limit of 20 MPH (9/22 actually I was probably doing 20MPH based on a recently added Android speedo app). I wonder if the internal hub gears can be changed, 7) always wear eye protection when riding. I collided with a flying bug yesterday. Got stung on cheek just below my glasses.
Good for you! And that was a nice report too.

Just wanted to comment about the light. On my 2019 Explore E+1, the stock light was really dismal. I changed it for a Busch & Muller IQ-X E light and I'm really happy with the lighting now. Since I didn't want to have to cut any wires, with the help of the folks on this board, I found the right connectors and was able to add my new light without problem. And when/if I sell my bike I can put the stock light back on.

To the rear besides the stock tail light, I have a Cygolite Hotshot Pro 200 attached to the back of my helmet. That's really bright and it should really help to make me visible. (Other than being hit by a car driver yesterday who overtook me and turned right into me to get into a gas station! Now I've got a cracked rib to deal with.)

Enjoy your bike! And be safe!

Just got new white Lafree E+1 on 10/9/2019. I have ridden it to work everyday since (this is the 6th day); total round-trip of 8 miles. Probably put on about 45-50 miles. I love the bike so far. I still have yet to charge the battery, so can't comment on that aspect yet. A little about me, for reference: height 6'1", weigh 265 lbs, live in Minneapolis, MN (proper).

The taillight was broken when the bike was assembled by LBS, so will be getting a warranty replacement for that.

I'm tending to use the lowest level of assist, riding mostly on flat pavement and paths, so I haven't encountered the issue with not having enough gears (I haven't been in 8th gear, except for a downhill somewhere).

As I said, ridden about 45-50 miles, mostly in level assist 1, and guessing have ~30% battery left, so with brand new battery, believe I would get ~65 miles on single charge (if I road to 0%), if using lowest level of assist. A few days, it's been pretty windy, and the assist has been greatly appreciated!

Pluses so far:

• With the quiet Yamaha motor and the Gates belt drive, the bike is so quiet when riding
  • Mid-drive Yamaha motor runs quiet and is very responsive, in a very natural way (I've had a few "skips" of the crank--think it's motor/clutch, but might be Nexus hub gear?)
  • Balloon tires run smoothly, provide some cushion (no flats yet, as mentioned in other posts); cushioning is decent (better than Specialized Como); may consider suspension seat post
  • Button controller is easy to use (and presumably saved me some $$ of price; good enough for now)
  • White looks awesome
Cons so far:
  • Tail light broken upon arrival (being replaced by Giant)
  • Wish they had an "XL" frame; I got the L, and it works well, but I'd like the reach to be bit more
  • I've had a few "skips" of the crank--think it's motor/clutch, but might be Nexus hub gear?
  • The handlebar stem/extension is adjustable (hex wrench), but quality isn't real high (we'll see how it holds up)
  • Wish the bosses on the downtube were up a little higher towards handlebars, as I'm hitting the bottle some when I get down from saddle at stop lights
  • Getting some noise from front disc brake (so may need to get adjusted)
TBD
  • The phone app (haven't installed yet)
  • Overall charging experience
  • Battery life (obviously, will take awhile to find out)
My ebike search history

I did a lot of research online and talked to a few people about ebikes. Initially, I was focused on online only bikes, as the price point is lower, but as I talked to more people, I decided to look more at ebikes sold at local bike stores. Although I'm handy, I did NOT want to become my own ebike mechanic. I've also looked at different styles of bikes, from fat tire, to hybrid/MTB, to cruiser styles. Online brands I explored were RadPower, Biktrix, Spark, Volt, Ariel Rider, and Juiced, among others. One thing my research and test rides helped me decide for sure is that I wanted a mid-drive motor, especially with torque sensing. For me, I wanted an ebike to assist me in my ride, not push or pull me, which I felt like hub drive ebikes felt more like. I know there are a few ebike brands, such as Juiced, that add some version of torque sensing, but since the bikes are online only, no easy way to test ride. This led me to looking more at brands such as Specialized, Raliegh, IZip, Trek, Giant, etc., that sell in bike stores.

I rode a Trek Verve, Raleigh, some cruiser style ebikes, Specialized, and Giant ebikes. I liked the Trek, but the motor was too weak. Raleigh frame size didn't work for me. Didn't like cruiser style bikes, so I mostly focused on the Specialized Vado, Como, and the Giant Explorer and Lafree. For the price point, features, and ride, I ended up choosing the Lafree.

Last edited:
Just got new white Lafree E+1 on 10/9/2019. I have ridden it to work everyday since (this is the 6th day); total round-trip of 8 miles. Probably put on about 45-50 miles. I love the bike so far. I still have yet to charge the battery, so can't comment on that aspect yet. A little about me, for reference: height 6'1", weigh 265 lbs, live in Minneapolis, MN (proper).

The taillight was broken when the bike was assembled by LBS, so will be getting a warranty replacement for that.

I'm tending to use the lowest level of assist, riding mostly on flat pavement and paths, so I haven't encountered the issue with not having enough gears (I haven't been in 8th gear, except for a downhill somewhere).

As I said, ridden about 45-50 miles, mostly in level assist 1, and guessing have ~30% battery left, so with brand new battery, believe I would get ~65 miles on single charge (if I road to 0%), if using lowest level of assist. A few days, it's been pretty windy, and the assist has been greatly appreciated!

Pluses so far:

• With the quiet Yamaha motor and the Gates belt drive, the bike is so quiet when riding
  • Mid-drive Yamaha motor runs quiet and is very responsive, in a very natural way (I've had a few "skips" of the crank--think it's motor/clutch, but might be Nexus hub gear?)
  • Balloon tires run smoothly, provide some cushion (no flats yet, as mentioned in other posts); cushioning is decent (better than Specialized Como); may consider suspension seat post
  • Button controller is easy to use (and presumably saved me some $$ of price; good enough for now)
  • White looks awesome
Cons so far:
  • Wish they had an "XL" frame; I got the L, and it works well, but I'd like the reach to be bit more
  • I've had a few "skips" of the crank--think it's motor/clutch, but might be Nexus hub gear?
  • The handlebar stem/extension is adjustable (hex wrench), but quality isn't real high (we'll see how it holds up)
  • Wish the bosses on the downtube were up a little higher towards handlebars, as I'm hitting the bottle some when I get down from saddle at stop lights
TBD
My ebike search history

I did a lot of research online and talked to a few people about ebikes. Initially, I was focused on online only bikes, as the price point is lower, but as I talked to more people, I decided to look more at ebikes sold at local bike stores. Although I'm handy, I did NOT want to become my own ebike mechanic. I've also looked at different styles of bikes, from fat tire, to hybrid/MTB, to cruiser styles. Online brands I explored were RadPower, Biktrix, Spark, Volt, Ariel Rider, and Juiced, among others. One thing my research and test rides helped me decide for sure is that I wanted a mid-drive motor, especially with torque sensing. For me, I wanted an ebike to assist me in my ride, not push or pull me, which I felt like hub drive ebikes felt more like. I know there are a few ebike brands, such as Juiced, that add some version of torque sensing, but since the bikes are online only, no easy way to test ride. This led me to looking more at brands such as Specialized, Raliegh, IZip, Trek, Giant, etc., that sell in bike stores.

I rode a Trek Verve, Raleigh, some cruiser style ebikes, Specialized, and Giant ebikes. I liked the Trek, but the motor was too weak. Raleigh frame size didn't work for me. Didn't like cruiser style bikes, so I mostly focused on the Specialized Vado, Como, and the Giant Explorer and Lafree. For the price point, features, and ride, I ended up choosing the Lafree.

Congratulations !

I too picked the LaFree E+1 after test riding 20+ bikes, and for much of the same reasons as you, this was the bike that checked the most boxes.
I've had mine for 3 months now, and love it more and more.

You stated: "I've had a few "skips" of the crank--think it's motor/clutch, but might be Nexus hub gear? "

Is this happening when you are Shifting ???

If so, Pause your Pedaling for a split second, then Shift Gears and resume pedaling.
Sort of like using a clutch in a car or motorcycle.
I always pause my pedaling before shifting with this bike.

BTW: If you haven't tried the "Auto Mode" yet, give it a try also.

Hope this helps.........

Craig :cool:

Last edited:
My Garmin tells me I've put 1,294 miles on my E+1 with 97 days ridden since I purchased it in May 2019. Mostly solo rides in my rural locale (paved and gravel roads), plus several charity rides (half metrics), and some rides on National Park land trails. The bike has performed almost flawlessly from day one.

I think I understand gmakepeace's "skip" in the crank - it has happened to me a few rare times and feels like the motor stops for a fraction of a second, then re-engages. In paying attention to exactly when and why it happens, I've noticed when I tend to have a micropause in my own cadence and back a fraction off the pressure, it seems as if the motor says "oh, she wants to stop pedaling" and starts to back off itself then realizes ... I am still pedaling with pedal pressure. The motor then plays a fast catchup and pretends that it never paused (when in fact it did). It is all very quick, but you do feel that loss of the motor for a split second when the pedal freewheels. It never happens when I am keeping consistent pressure on the pedals.

I pretty much always charge the battery when it is on the bike. I've since removed completely the rubber stopper over the charge port, and instead have a piece of colorful duct tape across the port to keep dirt and debris out. Much easier to lift an end of duct tape to reveal the port, charge the battery, then cover the port with the duct tape again. When the duct tape starts to get a bit tired, it costs nothing to replace the old tape with a new piece.

The front fender is off, permanently. It started rattling and getting distorted from the constant transport of my bike inside my car. The bike looks better without it, and the rattling is gone.

Disk brakes squeal on me, too, sometimes, but generally that just means I need to wipe them down and get the road dust off them.

I don't have any bottle holders on my bike because there is nowhere I can put them that they aren't in the way. Instead I use a set of saddle bags slung across the battery and back rack to carry my drinking bottles. Plus it has two big pouches to carry my bike tools, my phone, my lock, and any extra clothing I want to take with me. Those saddle bags are indispensible, and relatively cheap from the online (horse) tack stores.

My plan next month is to buy a Thudbuster seat post for the bike so that I would be more comfortable riding our gravel roads. I also plan on a whole season of charity rides next year, traveling further away to flatter areas to see how many more miles I can squeeze out of the battery. And also quite possibly look into buying a second battery to double my range.

I'm in love with this bike.

Attachments

• IMG_20191013_GreatFalls-3.jpg
    IMG_20191013_GreatFalls-3.jpg
    329.3 KB · Views: 568
Last edited:

Pluses so far:

• White looks awesome
Cons so far:
TBD
My ebike search history

Hi! My LaFree skipped as well so we took it to our Giant LBS and he adjusted some wire just a tad and that took care of it. He knew what he was doing and he said it just loosened up and had to be tightened a smudge. It was a simple thing your LBS should know about.

Back