2019–2020 R&M Homage : Riders' Impressions

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
I replaced the Rock Razors with the 2.4" Super Moto X Reflex. Both for reduced rolling resistance, durability and puncture resistance. They are way quieter as well. Unless you are going to be doing a bunch of unpaved trail riding, the Rock Razors are not a great choice IMO. The Super Moto X tires fit nicely under the stock fenders.

View attachment 34928
What brand and model is that nice looking bag on the back? I assume that the bag and your rack are MIK standard, correct?

The 2019 Homage came with a Racktime receiver built into the rack. That bag is a Topeak with fold up panniers and a Racktime adapter attached on the bottom.

53A37430-51B1-40EF-A884-ACE9FB214F6D.jpeg

Just showing love for the homage and sharing a pic .. hope you don’t mind :)

I just bought a used 2019 Homage Rohloff with 200 miles for 5K. Coming from a smaller bike with 20” tires, this bike is quite a beast. The former owner passed away shortly after buying (very sad) so I’m lucky to find it and it’s in perfect condition. I do laugh at the “blue” paint which is actually black. The motor cover is slightly blue. And the headlight seeks to have come off an airliners landing lights—quite impressive. Reading this forum and exploring this bike.

August 1st marks the one year anniversary of my riding a Homage. It’s been a wonderful year. No mechanical issues. I installed a leather seat at 1k miles, replaced the Rock Razor tires with Schwalbe Hurricanes at 4K miles, and I elected to have a complete brake job (pads and rotors) at 7k miles. Other than Rohloff oil changes every 2k miles and an occasional cleaning that’s about it. I wanted a bike that I could just ride and so far so good.

I’ve ridden it all year even through a New England winter without issue. It’s big and heavy and felt a bit intimidating until I got on and rode it. Like any new machine it took some getting used to but now it feels so right.

My bike is the dual battery Rohloff with the CX motor. I deliberately chose the CX because it was most appropriate for the terrain I ride on. My rides range from 30-70 miles with lots of steep hills. Most of the road surfaces are broken and patched pavement or gravel. I like small little traveled secondary roads and go out of my way to find them. I rarely ride in traffic. I’m fortunate the area I live in is laced with small roads. I’m semi-retired and ride for the joy of it.

I’m very thankful for the posts by @David Berry and @Alaskan that led me to this bike last year. It’s been well worth it.

1596935636855.jpeg

Last edited:
Weak link …
home-battery-hinge-ebr-b.jpg

Front of ebike on left.
Facing same way as red Homage.
If you look at the photo of the red Homage you will notice that the external PowerPack battery (grey) is attached to the lid (black) covering the internal PowerTube battery that is inside of the down tube (red with Riese & Müller written on it).

My photo shows how the hinge for the black lid has broken. Not surprisingly, the break is at the weakest point where the hinge has been drilled for a fixing bolt.

To me, this looks like a design blunder: the hinge is sufficiently strong for a lid but is inadequate when the lid is used as the mounting plate for a second battery.

Odometer: 19,000 km

Last edited by a moderator:
Weak link …
To me, this looks like a design blunder: the hinge is probably sufficiently strong for a lid but is inadequate when the lid is used as the mounting plate for a second battery.

Odometer: 19,000 km

Much as I really like the look of the Super Delight and the Super Charger with their dual integrated batteries, functionally I much prefer the integrated main power tube with the externally mounted power pack. The power pack weighs less and can be left at home when it won't be needed for a long ride. Why bear the weight penalty when it is not needed?

The dual battery solution on my Trek Allant +9.9s is much more solid and elegant than that on the Homage. It has the power tube with integrated cover attached that inserts on the right side of the downtube. The external power pack is affixed to the top of the downtube. It does not even need a lock on the mount but simply has an inverse bolt that attaches to the push button at the top mount for the power pack. When the main battery (which is a 625 power tube) its in place, you can't push in the release button as the inverted bolt head is stopped by the internal battery. You first have to remove the inner battery to remove the outer one. One lock takes care of both of them.

20200817_063825.jpg

20200817_063941_99.jpg

20200817_064129.jpg

I hope it's cool to post here. This seems to be the top Homage thread, thanks for starting it and your great feedback @David Berry. I met some of your shop's owners in Germany last week.

Let me know what you guys think. I still plan to do videos with Court for EBR as well as post directly, but I wanted to put my hat in the ring as well. I plan to post the videos in the forums and request feedback so I can cover more of the details you'd like to see. I learn so much from listening to you guys on here and I'm really grateful to be part of this community. I hope to post a thread soon for user-requested videos. I'll be posting the 2020 R&M bike videos as well as an overview of the new lineup on September 2nd. Looking forward to seeing your thoughts.
Hi Chris, I love your reviews. Looking forward to 2021.

Love the new 2021 and especially the white one.
Just want to give some props to Chris and Propel. Someone stole my kiosk display (the world is a crazy place) and propel is replacing it from one they have in the shop instead of making me wait to get it through the distributor. Their commitment to support is real — adrian there went above and beyond

Attachments

• 3886DF06-8B78-4112-8204-EDB62DE98D91.jpeg
    3886DF06-8B78-4112-8204-EDB62DE98D91.jpeg
    126.2 KB · Views: 292
Ive gone the same way and am liking the larger platform. Haven't tried them yet on any single track to see how they impact on riding through ruts, but given my feet are larger they may have minimal impact.

Attachments

• IMG_1575.jpeg
    IMG_1575.jpeg
    341.5 KB · Views: 283
Back